What's new

Does anyone use multicore support in Kontakt 6?

I turned mine on and set to half the amount of cores in my machines. I noticed a gain in performance but can’t really quantify it.

It's my understanding that if your DAW is utilizing multicore, then setting it in Kontakt is redundant.

Last edited:
Only in standalone mode as that's what is recommended in the manual. In plugin mode, however, I turn it off since I use VEP (there was a recent post about how it could negatively affect VEP's multi-core/multi-threaded optimizations).

Last edited:
When selecting the number of cores in the multicore support in Kontakt should you choose the number of physical cores or the number of threads? For example, on my i7 4790k should I choose 4 (cores) or 8 (threads)?

When selecting the number of cores in the multicore support in Kontakt should you choose the number of physical cores or the number of threads? For example, on my i7 4790k should I choose 4 (cores) or 8 (threads)?

It really depends how your machine is setup and what DAW you are running. Too many variables at play. Load a heavy session and play around with the options until it reaches optimal performance. That's what I did.

In-Kontakt multicore allows parallel processing of voices. Disabling this means that a single instance of Kontakt would use only one core (at any given moment in time), and multiple instances of Kontakt would distribute over processors based on whatever your DAW's behavior is.

In other words, DAW multithreading and Kontakt multithreading are independent and both can theoretically be enabled as they parallelize different things. I set my Kontakt core count to 4 to allow for some parallelism within a given instance, and my DAW thread count to 32. (I have 32 logical processors.) In practice, how cleanly these interplay is also influenced by DAW behavior.

Last edited:
I'll have a play around when I get a chance. I just wondered whether Kontakt classed a thread as a core but it doesn't matter I guess so long as I find the optimal setting.

just wondered whether Kontakt classed a thread as a core
It's analogous. I mean they are technically different things of course, but multiple threads is a necessary condition for multi core parallelism :)

Far as I could see looking with Process Explorer, modifying the "core count" config in Kontakt just affects the size of a thread pool. It's up to the OS to schedule them appropriately.

I like using more RAM and more instances of Kontakt.
But that is using Bidule and GigPerformer.

Top Bottom