What's new

Does anyone here make video games?

Surprised that nobody mentioned Brackeys yet, it's probably the best channel to learn Unity, C# and game development in general, especially for beginners. Here's a couple of useful playlists:

Much more of that on the channel itself:

Also, I'm a bit of an expert in C#, been programming in it for 15 years, so hit me up with a PM if you have any questions. Glad to help a fellow composer and game maker:)

Man, I found Brackey's about 4 days ago. He's amazing. Learned a lot fromhis channel already and it's what made me realise learning C# is pretty essential because so much of the scripting language I don't understand and occasionally there are things I do understand and it's down to watching his videos.

Typical that I find his channel and about a month ago he stops his channel! Such a shame.

This reminds me of the days when one would use to sit and build maps in Unreal engine purely to watch limp NPCs fall from the sky into pits of deadly obstacles. Good old ragdoll physics, provided hours of entertainment...

Hope you turn this into a full blown series Jono!

Last edited:
This reminds me of the days when one would use to sit and build maps in Unreal engine purely to watch limp NPCs fall from the sky into pits of deadly obstacles. Good old ragdoll physics, provided hours of entertainment...

Hope you turn this into a full blown series Jono!

Well, I am determined to make a game. When I become proficient in all this stuff I may make a few videos on this stuff. Especially the music and audio implementation side of things.

Anyway, here’s last night activities...

Whether you're out and about hunting or fishing, casually looting a neighbour's house or you just fancy a spot of dogging. Rest assured, there are many isolated regions of scenic beauty to explore in JonoWORLD. Just don't get caught with your pants down as you never know what's lurking in the woods! 😂

509A50F5-5527-4014-85FF-E84DF29F62D2.jpeg

285031F0-A4A0-4BC5-8756-A9D53962EBD5.jpeg

Can already imagine the reviews 😄

"Make sure you double up on underpants, because JonoWORLD will have you throughly filling them frozen excrement at ANY moment.

10/10 IGN"

If this can become a multiplayer game it would be epic. Be fun to follow your progress on it!

Last edited:
Can already imagine the reviews 😄

"Make sure you double up on underpants, because JonoWORLD will have you throughly filling them frozen excrement at ANY moment.

10/10 IGN"

If this can become a multiplayer game it would be epic. Be fun to follow your progress on it!

:laugh:

I actually created a Discord server and it's small beginnings and a few people have joined it but I had the idea of creating a Discord server just to actually document this journey from start to finish. Which is what I've been doing. There's also loads of other channels which revolve around music but I wanted a place where I can upload screenshots and links to videos and not have the information lost as it's already been an interesting trip and a lot of head scratching but I love it. It's just going to take a lot of time as I'm always so busy with my music work etc. I'm going back to England in December so I plan on locking myself in my Music Lab and working on this stuff even more so than I have been doing!

Multiplayer. Hmmm. I wasn't planning on that but never say never. It's a serious amount of work making a game that's 3d and It's likely to be a semi open world not a full open world. I just dislike huge open world games that don't have a lot to do in them so I would much rather have a smaller world but full of things to do and player interaction. It's definitely going to be a story driven game and I've already got a good friend to do the voice acting for one of the main characters. Looking into how I can affordably Mo-Cap myself as well. Might as well not do things by halves! :laugh:

It's always important to up one's game on a daily basis so JonoWORLD is about to get a rather delightful textural make over compared to, well, I don't like to talk about it these days but the "old World" that I had the mishap of accidentally deleting! 😂

Textures. Before and after...

6CE6713D-7D4E-4425-A198-C9C7CDE5550D.jpeg

5B3BAC37-C468-4CD7-8EFB-F544D2C09C48.jpeg

Looking for your great escape? An adventure into the wild unknown? Well pack your lunch and head off into JonoWORLD! Explore one of many vast and stunning unprotected regional parks, such as Bareback Mountain for the journey of your lifetime!

6295581F-0ED9-43DB-89B5-864F3CCBD9D0.jpeg

56F0FB8D-6FB9-426C-9D82-BBD661AEA8DF.jpeg

0B9E3408-872A-4414-8788-46FFF8CD351E.jpeg

C8A33CC5-3304-480E-BF56-8A38FBDE7462.jpeg

61CBBBFE-53FD-41DD-91E0-DA56DFE218ED.jpeg

And last night was my first dipping of toes into learning about volumetric lighting...

A rather delightful sunrise captured before setting off into the foothills of BearBack Mountain! 😂

F5A79AA8-3D80-437C-AB76-323E49067937.jpeg

E76850A1-3445-4A05-A242-01625295D617.jpeg

D329D5A2-E985-4916-AEB8-14D50A8BD6DA.jpeg

Software engineering is my day job, but I've been dabbling in Unity in my spare time working on a turn based RPG. Will probably never actually see the light of day but it's been a fun exercise and a welcome break from the enterprise style code I spend the day working on. Happy to answer any code or tech career type questions :)

@jononotbono, looking at the kind of world you are making, I think, you might consider trying Unreal Engine. It's more suited for this kind of environments and graphical fidelity. It's a professional grade engine, but also free for non-commercial use and small businesses. And it includes Quixel Megascans for free, which is a set of very high fidelity assets. Overall, it's much easier to get high fidelity image out of the box with UE4, than with Unity.

The only downside is that it uses C++ for coding, which may be harder for beginners. But then, you might not need to write code at all, since it has an integrated visual programming system -- Blueprints. They are less powerful than a "real" programming language, but is also much easier to understand. It should be enough for your needs at the moment.

Finally Epic gives away a set of free assets each month, and this time it includes this beautiful forest, which reminded me of your world:) https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/realistic-forest-pack

Also, if you haven't already, here's a channel where I get my news on game development, might be useful for you as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-5TdGkKszdbboXXsFZJTQ

Top Bottom