What's new

Does anyone have experience using 8Dio Deep Solo Cello (Studio Quartet Series)?

Sseltenrych

I just bought the 8Dio Intimate Studio Woodwinds the other day and have found it tricky to get a realistic sound (although with enough fiddling, the Cor Englais does sound great).
I was surprised to find that Velocity does nothing and there only seems to be one dynamic layer.
Also I can't hear any round robin.

Their sale ends in a few days and I'm considering the 8Dio Deep Solo Cello but can't find many user reviews on it.
I'm looking for a solo Cello that has nice tone with realistic legato and vibrato, suitable for slower melodies.

Although it's cheap, I don't have money to waste at present, so independent advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

AMBi

*the* member
I love the Studio Quartet series but I personally wouldn’t use them for their legato or as purely solo instruments. You’ll notice the walkthroughs kind of graze over the legato a bit and focus a pretty large amount of their time on the arcs and bowings which is where the strengths mainly lay.

Tina Guo Vol 1 would probably be your best bet (if you don’t already own it of course) since it’s practically designed with slower passages in mind and has some of the most realistic legato out there. It’s legato only so if $100 is too steep for that Cinesamples has pretty frequent sales throughout the year.

SupremeFist

I love the Studio Quartet series but I personally wouldn’t use them for their legato or as purely solo instruments. You’ll notice the walkthroughs kind of graze over the legato a bit and focus a pretty large amount of their time on the arcs and bowings which is where the strengths mainly lay.

Tina Guo Vol 1 would probably be your best bet (if you don’t already own it of course) since it’s practically designed with slower passages in mind and has some of the most realistic legato out there. It’s legato only so if $100 is too steep for that Cinesamples has pretty frequent sales throughout the year.
Agree with this assessment. Also check out pocketBlakus, which is free!

Instrugramm

All of the samples? Yes please!
Guo is more limited but awesome at what it does, the 8DIO one on the other hand has a very special (grittier and more intimate) character, they fit different projects and are probably the two best options I've come across so far.

Ps. I'm a cellist...

OP
Sseltenrych

Sseltenrych

Thanks for your input.

The realism of the legato is one of the key features I need.
I tried using the woodwind arcs yesterday and found them unsuitable for my melody.
The short arc was too short and the others were too long.

I looked into Tina Guo Vol 1when it was on sale and found 5 issues:
1. Only 1 dynamic layer.
2. Vibrato is not adjustable (it's a baked sample)
3. No round robin, so it starts to sound mechanical after a while.
4. Strong intensity makes it hard to mix with other instruments.
5. Some people said there were notes out of tune.

Although I liked the tone, I would rather have an instrument that has more flexibility.
At least a sustain patch so I can use it as a background instrument,
more than 1 dynamic layer and round robin.

I bought the Joshua Bell Violin (Essential) - for $99 which has all these features and sounds realistic.

I'm thinking I might just save my money and wait for Chris Hein's Cellos to go on sale.

AMBi

*the* member
Thanks for your input.

I tried using the woodwind arcs yesterday and found them unsuitable for my melody.

1. Only 1 dynamic layer.

Although I liked the tone, I would rather have an instrument that has more flexibility.

I bought the Joshua Bell Violin (Essential) - for $99 which has all these features and sounds realistic.

I'm thinking I might just save my money and wait for Chris Hein's Cellos to go on sale.
You can turn legato off for a makeshift sustain patch on the Guo but it can get a bit busy sounding with the ultra expressive nature of the instrument.

I love the Chris Hein cello too so you can’t go wrong with either one. They definitely have a ‘sound’ that some people may or may not like so if you like the demos it might be the one for you. I got the Chris Hein cellos for about $150~ during the Black Friday sale and having 4 cellos definitely made it worth it. They’re very flexible but take a bit of work to get right.

Another alternative similar to the Tina Guo but with a little more control is the Cinestrings Solo cello which is definitely a favorite of mine. It’s one dynamic layer with only vib and non vib variations of notes too but I find that to be for the best with solo instruments sometimes.

My go to cello lately and absolute favorite is the one from Cremona Quartet, it has a lot of control and beautiful tone. Sadly it can’t be bought separately outside of the quartet.

chrisav

Thanks for your input.

1. Only 1 dynamic layer.

Let me just put in a good word for Emotional Cello by Harmonic Subtones / Best Service. Fine legato, lots of articulations and a beautiful tone imo

SupremeFist

Guo is more limited but awesome at what it does, the 8DIO one on the other hand has a very special (grittier and more intimate) character, they fit different projects and are probably the two best options I've come across so far.

Ps. I'm a cellist...
I also love the gritty sound of the 8dio cello, but you can't really ride the modwheel for expression very much owing to prominent phasing issues, so (at least for what I write) it's a question of stitching together different arcs through keyswitching. Which can lead to lovely results, though I wasn't used to working that way...

SupremeFist

Thanks for your input.

1. Only 1 dynamic layer.

Tina Guo Vol 2 has a less intense vibrato on the legato patch and other artics (Inc sustain): a bit underrated imo.

Instrugramm

All of the samples? Yes please!
I also love the gritty sound of the 8dio cello, but you can't really ride the modwheel for expression very much owing to prominent phasing issues, so (at least for what I write) it's a question of stitching together different arcs through keyswitching. Which can lead to lovely results, though I wasn't used to working that way...
I agree, it's definitely more challenging to write with or for than GUO although that one can be tricky as well if you try to mix and match VOL 1 and 2.

dylanmixer

If you're looking for a cello with the most lyrical legato, 8dio Solo ain't it. However the vast amount of articulations the quartet has and the cohesiveness between the arcs are all reasons to have it imo. I get a lot of use out of it.

SupremeFist

If you're looking for a cello with the most lyrical legato, 8dio Solo ain't it. However the vast amount of articulations the quartet has and the cohesiveness between the arcs are all reasons to have it imo. I get a lot of use out of it.
That's good to hear. Any tips on using the viola? The legato on that one seems to be almost broken, not there at all.

OP
Sseltenrych

Sseltenrych

Is there some trick to using the arcs?
I found the short arcs too short, so tried the medium, but the midi note ended before the arc ended, and didn't end with a natural sound.
I suppose you could use a fade out at the end of the midi. Is that what you do?

OP
Sseltenrych

Sseltenrych

You can turn legato off for a makeshift sustain patch on the Guo but it can get a bit busy sounding with the ultra expressive nature of the instrument.

I love the Chris Hein cello too so you can’t go wrong with either one. They definitely have a ‘sound’ that some people may or may not like so if you like the demos it might be the one for you. I got the Chris Hein cellos for about $150~ during the Black Friday sale and having 4 cellos definitely made it worth it. They’re very flexible but take a bit of work to get right.

Another alternative similar to the Tina Guo but with a little more control is the Cinestrings Solo cello which is definitely a favorite of mine. It’s one dynamic layer with only vib and non vib variations of notes too but I find that to be for the best with solo instruments sometimes.

My go to cello lately and absolute favorite is the one from Cremona Quartet, it has a lot of control and beautiful tone. Sadly it can’t be bought separately outside of the quartet.
Thanks again.
I am also considering the Spitfire solo cello which has adjustable vibrato and sounds great in the demo.
It's only $99, and perhaps I could get it on sale.

dylanmixer

Is there some trick to using the arcs?
I found the short arcs too short, so tried the medium, but the midi note ended before the arc ended, and didn't end with a natural sound.
I suppose you could use a fade out at the end of the midi. Is that what you do?
The arcs should be tempo synced. When playing all of them together, I use the sustain pedal while I move from chord to chord. Works like a charm. They're very dry though so I put them all in a room reverb first, and then add a bit of tail at the end.

OP
Sseltenrych

Sseltenrych

The arcs should be tempo synced. When playing all of them together, I use the sustain pedal while I move from chord to chord. Works like a charm. They're very dry though so I put them all in a room reverb first, and then add a bit of tail at the end.
Thanks, I will look into it.

AMBi

*the* member
Thanks again.
I am also considering the Spitfire solo cello which has adjustable vibrato and sounds great in the demo.
It's only $99, and perhaps I could get it on sale.
The Spitfire one has a very ‘distant’ and roomy feel so if you're looking for something more intimate that's something to consider.
Also the standalone Total Performance mode I don't think has portamento. I can't seem to trigger it like the standard cello legato in the Solo Strings bundle.

Top Bottom