Does an NTFS SSD work for samples with a Mac?

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by Craig Allen, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Craig Allen

Craig Allen New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    I know that Mac OS can (only) READ from an NTFS formatted disk, and not (natively) write to one.
    I'm thinking that if an external SSD is only used for Virtual Instrument hosting and sample playback (hits, loops) hosting, that it should work.

Can anyone confirm?

Many thanks.

Craig

2. dflood

dflood Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    With Paragon NTFS for Mac you can read and write to NTFS drives. I use it all the time. Not sure if there is any performance hit.
    https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Edit: I should have mentioned I do not use it for samples

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Maybe I was misunderstanding the discussions, but in previous threads some have reported problems in streaming samples from disks not properly formatted for MacOs.

4. OP
    OP
    Craig Allen

Craig Allen New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    I can imagine there is a real limitation of not being able to install to an NTFS disk. I'm supposing that simply reading sample info that's already on the disk should work.
    I'll give it a try...

jbuhler likes this.
  5. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    The reported problem was specifically slow read times for streaming to kontakt . I don't recall which disk format was causing the trouble.

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    ExFAT has the problem, not NTFS.

jbuhler likes this.
  7. Ruffian Price

Ruffian Price Member

Feb 23, 2017
    I had no problems accessing Kontakt libraries on NTFS drives when I was dualbooting OSX and Windows. Didn't need any external tools, didn't feel like the performance was lower (don't have metrics though)