What's new

Doepfer LMK4 overrated?

Almost any Kurzweil. PC3/PC3K/Forte would do. Up to 16 zones, each with completely adjustable controller setups. So your modwheel could send CC1 for zone 1, send inverted CC 6 for zone 2, do something entirely different for zone 3, etc. etc.

If you don't need the sound engine, take a strong, long and hard look at Viscount Physis K4. They have basically taken Kurzweil's scheme and ran away with it, except it only supports up to 8 zones instead of 16, unfortunately - but... They added 8 MIDI outputs and 8 friggin' pedal inputs to that board! EVERYTHING ASSIGNABLE!

(broken link removed)

On the Physis K4 you have 32 Zones if you switch between Scenes inside of the Performance. 4 Scenes with pre and post considerations and that’s on an additional option of 8 messages added to each scene. Deep shit here.

I started using Controllers with the Yamaha KX88, Kurzweil MIDIboard, Roland A90, Oberheim MC3000, M Audio KS88, Casio PX-3S and Physis K4 since 2013.
Physis K4 has possibilities never thought of before.

Recently using Chains and Steps for shows that are on a tight schedule and heavily automated.
Also just added 2 x TC Helicon VoiceRacks to automate all vocalists FX in real-time.
There’s nothing else as forwarding loooking and complete as the K4.

Extensive USB Hub Transport section and everything you need to automate stage and studio with.
Best semi action too. It’s got heavy resistance so it’s not light, but this makes the programming of custom velocity curves per zone really nice.

If you spend 4-8 hours a day playing this makes sure you’re playing instead of programming.

98CFC361-A095-45F4-81D3-4D352A6CFA49.jpeg 288BE874-0A1D-433A-A75E-412AFEEFF3CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Sleeper for under $400?

Nektar Impact LX88. I've been using it for 3 years now, love it. Semi-weighted but I'm not a pianist so I don't mind. In fact I prefer that over hammer action when programming drums or other heavily rhythmic parts.

Chim, did you change the knobs and fader caps to those colors, or do they come with the thing?

It would be cool if the 8 buttons could send note-on events - then you could use them for key switching. Any idea if that's possible?

Custom knobs of rubber for better grip, and yes Buttons can do keyswitching.
I use Swells, Shakes, Stacatto and Sustain for Horns as one example.
Perc. for Hammond B3, presets on vocal FX in Step Mode, or simple latch/unlatch for quick lo-fi tails on delay, etc.
Endless possibilities.
If you ever get one I’d be happy to share.
I’m nowhere near mastering it after 5 years.
Anything that automates live work is likely to be a huge work flow benefit for recording.

The manual is well written but behind in terms of accidentally discovered gems.
I must buy a spare.
Having one of these then something go wrong would be traumatic without a spare.
I’m beyond spoiled.

I also use String articulation and have a Boss FS-6 for those as I use three.
Triggering loops or string runs on buttons is cool too.
Runaway (cover tune) uses lots of runs, buttons really help.
Also Orange Tree Passion Flute has great Jethro Tull spitter fx and trills/licks I pull off with ease.
Buttons do Prgm Chng, RPN, NRPN, SySEx many chores.
As do the sliders knobs and pedals.

It would be cool if the 8 buttons could send note-on events - then you could use them for key switching. Any idea if that's possible?

Yes, you can assign notes to buttons. And switch pedals, too!

Available parameters are:
ƒ Type: type of MIDI message transmitted by the control, can be
- OFF: no MIDI message assigned
- CC: Control Change
- NRPN: Non Registered Parameter Number
- RPN: Registered Parameter Number
- PITCH: Pitch Bend
- PROG: Program Change
- CH PRESS: Channel Pressure (channel aftertouch)
- NOTE: note message (only for buttons)

It's all in the manual. You can even make it send up to 8 MIDI messages upon switching to a certain scene, across all MIDI ports. Wicked stuff.

I have time Thursday to show some screens and the possibilities.
If interested let me know.
I should start a thread about it.
They’re cheap now too.
1800 from Kraft.

Looping using the buttons live for vocals or keys, even the background vocals is really cool.
People think we’re using SMPTE or backing tracks....suckers.

I noticed in a fairly recent video that Junkie XL switched from Doepfer to the NI Komplete Kontrol 88 at some point.

I noticed them at Hans' live shows too. I am incredibly happy with mine, especially how cheap they are used. $600 on craigslist!

Hi all!
I have a doepfer lmk4 + a roland DP10 pedal area! How can I connect them! I want to play piano with pedal sustain! Can someone help me! Thank you very much!

I have the exact same setup, you plug it into 'switches' then you go to CTR - NR.1 (not bank) and set Ex.Sw1 -> SUS to ON. (just press the 1 to switch it on/off)
I have the exact same setup, you plug it into 'switches' then you go to CTR - NR.1 (not bank) and set Ex.Sw1 -> SUS to ON. (just press the 1 to switch it on/off)
I tried but did not work!

Attachments

• DBD9ACDD-7DA4-4D55-83E5-DC1C34DBDE70.jpeg
    DBD9ACDD-7DA4-4D55-83E5-DC1C34DBDE70.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
I tried but did not work!
Is the pedal set to 'continuous'? for some odd reason it always worked fine for me but recently I got some problems, like the pedal working in opposite direction. I just switched it to make the pedal function as a 'switch' and it worked.

Thanks you! I tried but failed! Pedal works well with Roland A88!
Is the pedal set to 'continuous'? for some odd reason it always worked fine for me but recently I got some problems, like the pedal working in opposite direction. I just switched it to make the pedal function as a 'switch' and it worked.

Mine finally completely died for no apparent reason and I'm glad to be forced into something else.

The feel is really clunky which makes it impossible to play softly with any accuracy. The black keys notoriously have to be tweaked -20 velocity cc to be even with the white keys. The case makes it very noisy and even playing as soft as you can it makes clunks when it contacts the bottom. And it's very over priced. IMO

i can’t imagine how can world class musicians like zimmer and others, how can they depend on such keyboard with such action... really i’m wondering about that!

i can’t imagine how can world class musicians like zimmer and others, how can they depend on such keyboard with such action... really i’m wondering about that!

Hans I see took his out of the case, now it just looks like a fatar keybed tucked under his desk. Junkie xl switched to the komplete kontrol. By the way, customer support was completely useless in helping get mine fixed. Its sitting in my garage if you want a free one

Top Bottom