What's new

Doepfer LMK4+ 88 or Arturia KeyLab 88 MkII?

MadLad

Hey fellow composers,

I'm in the midst of building myself a nice homestudio to further my foothold in the professional world of video game and maybe movie soundtracks with VST libraries, so I'm looking for advice here.

Right now, I am looking for a midi controller. I saw in a video that quite a few people recommend the Doepfer LMK4+ 88 but it costs over 500€ more than the Arturia KeyLab 88 MKII which also has awesome reviews and which looks like it would be much more useful for me because of the many integrated sliders, wheels and percussion pads.

Can anyone tell me what the reason would be to go for the 1500€ Doepfer instead of the 900€ Arturia Keylab? Reviews say, they both have really good and robust keys, they play very well etc. I definitely tend to the Arturia Keylab because of the USB over Midi connection (you just need to plug it in your computer no extra power needed), the lighter build and the many sliders and knobs and an included sample library. Is there a reason I should buy the Doepfer instead?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm gonna use it with Dorico and Reaper if that's relevant.

The KeyLab is great for the price, very full featured. But the action is a bit tough...not the best feeling key bed, my only complaint about it really. The doepfer key beds are superior ... I might recommend you check out the LMK2+, that is what I use on my main rig. I bought the Arturia Keylab for a different room and I'm happy with the purchase but again the action is my only complaint.

I have my lmk 4+ over 12 years now. I Chose the lmk only because I wanted to build it into my desk. I like its feel as it is not to heavy. All spare parts can be reordered through Doepfer which is nice too.

Another recommendation is the Roland A-88 mkII

The KeyLab is great for the price, very full featured. But the action is a bit tough...not the best feeling key bed, my only complaint about it really. The doepfer key beds are superior ... I might recommend you check out the LMK2+, that is what I use on my main rig. I bought the Arturia Keylab for a different room and I'm happy with the purchase but again the action is my only complaint.
What do you mean by "tough"? Does it not play well? Because most of the reviews I've found say it's actually really good.

And what is the difference between the LMK2+ and LMK4+?

Doepfer lmk 4+ is based around the Fatar TP/40GH. You can look up which other manufacturers use that keybed.

Doepfer also sells all keyboards without the casing. There is also the Doepfer PK-88 which has no controller ie Modwheel etc.

Doepfer lmk 4+ is based around the Fatar TP/40GH. You can look up which other manufacturers use that keybed.

Doepfer also sells all keyboards without the casing. There is also the Doepfer PK-88 which has no controller ie Modwheel etc.
Yeah, I've seen the PK-88 and I have the Korg Nano Kontrol 2. So, apart from the missing controllers it's the same as the IMK4+?

What do you mean by "tough"? Does it not play well? Because most of the reviews I've found say it's actually really good.

And what is the difference between the LMK2+ and LMK4+?
it's just a little heavier than other weighted key beds IMO. It doesn't feel 'great' to me, but its also not a mess either, just a slight preference of other piano action key beds in comparison.

I think the only difference between the two LMK's is the controller functionality on the left panel. I guess its possible they ship with different stock key beds as well but I'm not sure. I only have experience with the LMK2+ which I've had for over 10 years.

I'm curious about Doepfer as well. I played one once at a Long &McQuade but they are elusive up here in Canada. My PC3x still won't die and has an ideal weight for both piano parts and orchestral stuff so I'm in no rush to replace.

The S88mk2 and Keylab 88 mk2 both share the same keybed. I find the Arturia a little heavier for whatever reason. Neither impresses me too much. The Roland A88mk2 changed from their Ivory G action to the PHA4 which is ok but not as nice. Key noise is paramount (in that it should not exist) for a controller. To be honest, the Yamaha CP88 has a terrific keyboard. Not too heavy but meaty enough for hard playing. Aside from a lack of controllers, it would be my choice as the next master controller for key feel alone. Plus it has some amazing built-in sounds.

I think everyone is looking for the “perfect” keyboard. I’ve been using a Doepfer LMK 4+ for a few years and it is fine; much better than most of the ones I tried in stores.

My only piece of advice is — try it yourself. Even among the Doepfers I tried, the one I have has a noticeably more “even” keybed.

So while of course it’s a good idea to get advice, I still wouldn’t recommend anything you don’t try first-hand. Even though that’s hard when you live away from a big city, it’s still the best recommendation I have.

I chose the LMK2+ because I could build it into the desk but I have owned the S88 and tried the Arturia, StudioLogic, etc. I play my grand piano at home when I’m not at my DAW, for context. So far, the LMK2+ is the best controller I’ve played outside of my old Yamaha digital piano or a Kawai digital piano (but those aren’t as convenient as MIDI controllers).

It’s also easy to maintain. The complete replacement rubber strips for the keybed only cost about 39€ and takes 20min.

I think everyone is looking for the “perfect” keyboard. I’ve been using a Doepfer LMK 4+ for a few years and it is fine; much better than most of the ones I tried in stores.

My only piece of advice is — try it yourself. Even among the Doepfers I tried, the one I have has a noticeably more “even” keybed.

So while of course it’s a good idea to get advice, I still wouldn’t recommend anything you don’t try first-hand. Even though that’s hard when you live away from a big city, it’s still the best recommendation I have.
Yes, that's my problem. Even in the city they don't have it in stock, so I can't try it out.

The problem I have (as mentioned above) is I brought an acoustic piano in the studio- ruined me for life on probably just about ANY controller - but especially this S88 mk2 (it's just a mess). Would owners of LMK4+ say that action is 'close' to a real (good quality) piano?

No. If a real, good quality piano, midi keyboards don't come close. The Fatar TP/40GH does a bit better than other midi keyboards. But it's still miles away. What you shoukd be looking at instead are digital pianos. They still don't replicate a real piano action. But they are much, much closer than the Doepfer's.

Top Bottom