What's new

Do you use VE Pro on your DAW machine?

Do you use VE Pro on your DAW machine as part of your workflow?

• Yes

Votes: 73 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • I’m thinking about dabbling with it....

Votes: 19 13.8%

• Total voters

Jeremy Spencer

The problem with that Video is that he is strictly talking
about Kontakt and misinforming people.
So much misinformation. On the other hand he talks like
he is the next Hans Zimmer but never heard of him...
Errr....Trevor is a top notch composer, with an impressive resume (including working for Hans). And if you've ever watched the Vikings series, he's the composer.

He is not saying his way is the right way, he's just showing how he likes to work. And it's irrelevant if he's using Kontakt, the disabled track feature works for any VI. Why all the negativity?

BasariStudios

Basari Studios
Errr....Trevor is a top notch composer, with an impressive resume (including working for Hans). And if you've ever watched the Vikings series, he's the composer.

He is not saying his way is the right way, he's just showing how he likes to work. And it's irrelevant if he's using Kontakt, the disabled track feature works for any VI. Why all the negativity?
Be Extra nice to me today ok?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 45

Phil81

I like being able to boot up a VEPro template and just leave it on all day, without having to start the load-up over for each Cubase project.

I like the short save times on my Cubase projects when I'm using a VEPro template.

I like that some plugins/players seem to freeze up less often when hosted inside VEPro.

I like VEPro.
Same here. I use VEP for many reasons + more.

One thing that got me using VE Pro on a single machine more was when I picked up a license for Mir Pro.
It's a little silly but when you use Mir inside VE Pro the graphics are HiRes/Retina and it's so much easier on my eyes than running standalone mode.

Saxer

I use VEPro less and less... I find it useful for stacking things (like Spitfire in Kontakt + Audiomodeling SWAM instruments) that I could open on one track in Logic.

Meanwhile I use Pluginguru's Unify for that. So I can have complex stacking instruments on a single track in Logic.

I don't like full blown templates anyway. I have smaller templates for different tasks and can add parts of other templates via import. Faster, lighter, less searching and scrolling.

jazzman7

This was posted today, which might be useful since it is related to the topic.

I've enjoyed her Vids. Very opinionated. Which I like! Def a keep it simple get it done kind of view. Far different from the endless arguments we see on here about massaging every legato. Truth be told, I enjoy those discussions as well. Can't learn without hashing stuff over and hearing so many different angles

jbuhler

Sorry, was just pocking some innocent silly fun ;) ....
But it is kind of consistent to see that most people NOT feeling the need to use VEP are on PC...
I’ve been using a Mac for a long time without VEP. Mostly I’ve done it that way to avoid the complexity, and load times aren’t bad. I’m considering it now because I have a second very capable iMac that is currently going mostly unused and I’m wondering if it makes sense to network them together.

Henning

I used VEP with slaves since it came out about a decade ago. Having taken the one pc route now, I dropped it and my workflow feels much easier now. I have a machine with 256 gb of ram and I load everything into Nuendo. I made a little experiment with a track using VEP7 on this machine and without it and it made no real performance difference to me. So I dropped it with a tear and a smile.
In addition to my post I can also say in hindsight that I really never kept VEP open for different tracks. I mostly reloaded the template for every track. The cause was that ever so often in every project I would change something in the orchestral template, like volume of different mic position etc. So the template balance never kind of stayed the absolute same for the tracks of a project.

Another thing is that with the new machine I'm going for a mix of the "disabled tracks and the load what you need" approach. I'm not rebuilding my former template. But I know my libs in and out. So when I need something I load it in. I have a setup of group tracks in place that stays the same more or less, though.

I set the orchestral libs up with expression maps after the setup used in Babylonwaves. This is another time saver that I have encountered for me.

I had also watched the Trevor Morris videos before setting up my rig and found a lot that benefitted my workflow. It's not the same as I don't do film but games but it was close enough.

Anyway there's so many different ways of going about this whole thing and none is wrong or right. It's just my current way of doing things at the moment who knows what will be in a few years time :)

NOX

I'm smoothly running this orchestral Template (12 solo winds,13 solo brass, 21 solo strings, 1 piano, mallets/percussions) in VEPRO7 fine. However if I attempt to run the SAME template inside LogicProX... Logic chokes fast... on one MacBook Pro 16 i9 64 gig ram... VEPRO is a must here and the integrated plugs (EQ,Compressor, Mir) are truly appropriate for orchestral instruments. Here is a picture of my Logic Environment main page and the associated VEPRO template.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.00.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.00.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.08.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.08.12 AM.png
    875 KB · Views: 35

mr-sound

I use ve pro with two machines. 1st - it`s main base (with fx plugins, sequencer and main instrumentsl sections), 2nd - main orchestra sections, such as strings, brass, solo strings :)

Last edited:

Jeremy Spencer

I'm smoothly running this orchestral Template (12 solo winds,13 solo brass, 21 solo strings, 1 piano, mallets/percussions) in VEPRO7 fine. However if I attempt to run the SAME template inside LogicProX... Logic chokes fast... on one MacBook Pro 16 i9 64 gig ram... VEPRO is a must here and the integrated plugs (EQ,Compressor, Mir) are truly appropriate for orchestral instruments. Here is a picture of my Logic Environment main page and the associated VEPRO template.
Just curious, why are you using the environment?

muziksculp

I don't like full blown templates anyway. I have smaller templates for different tasks and can add parts of other templates via import. Faster, lighter, less searching and scrolling.
I like that strategy. It makes a lot of sense to me. :2thumbs:

Babe

I use VEPro because I like how it keeps my instruments organized. I use 13 instances, one for each section of the orch. Flutes, Oboes, etc. In each instance I can have different libraries using different players (Kontakt, Sine, VIP). I also like that when using a multi, such as 3 oboes, you can use the meters inside VEP and see a separate audio meter for each oboe.

Lee Blaske

I used to use VEP when I used multiple machines. But, since switching to a 2019 Mac Pro with a ton of memory last year, I'm not using it anymore. Logic Pro's way of dealing with templates (with the option of not loading instruments that haven't been used) is really elegant. So, I'm not waiting for tons of instruments in my template that aren't being used to load.

Everything is fast and immediate, and building new templates in Logic Pro is far simpler. VEP was really useful when I had to use multiple computers and loading samples too forever. With my new computer, I no longer need it.

Top Bottom