What's new

Do you send close mics to reverb? Which mics go to reverb?

SwedishPug

Composer
Hi VI Control Folks, do you send the close mics to reverb? Which microphones do you send to reverb and which do you not send and why? What is standard practice in real life orchestra recording?

I've learned a TON on this forum but I wasn't able to find answers to these specific questions.

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
No, I normally use a separate reverb first for close recordings and then send that to other reverbs. The exception to this would be in genres like pop where I'm mostly using sends so that the reverbs are all parallel.

Mike T

nobody
Depends on why you're using reverb.

If you're trying to make something sound like it was actually recorded in a larger space, my feeling is that you only want to add the additional reverb to the mic positions that would be picking up any meaningful room information, or maybe only apply a tiny bit of it to the close mics, at most.

On the other hand, if you're adding the reverb to a recording as an effect, like an engineer on a session for a film score sprinkling in a little 480 fairy dust, that will probably apply to everything.

OP
SwedishPug

SwedishPug

Composer
Depends on why you're using reverb.

If you're trying to make something sound like it was actually recorded in a larger space, my feeling is that you only want to add the additional reverb to the mic positions that would be picking up any meaningful room information, or maybe only apply a tiny bit of it to the close mics, at most.

On the other hand, if you're adding the reverb to a recording as an effect, like an engineer on a session for a film score sprinkling in a little 480 fairy dust, that will probably apply to everything.

Thank you, your thoughts make sense to me. I was curious if you could elaborate a bit on the L480 'fairy dust.' Do you know of any specific ways the L480 is often used for orchestral mixing? Obviously, there are likely a multitude of ways and 'whatever sounds right' is a good overall methodology, but it would be helpful to know some points I could start from. Medium hall? Church?

PS: That is a great photo of Bernstein!

Top Bottom