Do you know about Bytebeat ?

Fredeke

Bytebeat is a new (potential) branch of music consisting in generating a whole track bit by bit, from a simple mathematical algorythm: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qkzakx/meet-bytebeat-a-brand-new-electronic-music-genre / (the first example is not the best > fast forward the video a bit...)

I think that in order to become legitimate music it should be appropriated by musicians. For example, maybe we could use one such piece and add a beat or something, to make it a song aimed at a larger audience.

I find it fascinating anyway.

Last edited:

Virtual Virgin

I've spent a lot of time researching "algorithmic music" (not AI music mind you) and I don't find it very compelling.

It is very process based and seems to be produced by coders who want to romanticize the coding aspect, generally with very little musical consideration.

More importantly, practically all of the results I have heard so far sound like too much thought went into something that sounds like 90’s “experimental” techno outtakes.

Reading about it makes it sound transcendent (or at least they would like you to think so), but listening to it… meh. I’d rather hear the demo mode on any 90’s consumer keyboard.

OP
Fredeke

Fredeke

I've spent a lot of time researching "algorithmic music" (not AI music mind you) and I don't find it very compelling.

It is very process based and seems to be produced by coders who want to romanticize the coding aspect, generally with very little musical consideration.

More importantly, practically all of the results I have heard so far sound like too much thought went into something that sounds like 90’s “experimental” techno outtakes.

Reading about it makes it sound transcendent (or at least they would like you to think so), but listening to it… meh. I’d rather hear the demo mode on any 90’s consumer keyboard.
Yes I'm all for romanticizing coding ;)