What's new

Do you have a sub woofer in your monitoring setup?

OP
Pier

Pier

Search for "sub crawl". :)
I've seen this mentioned many times in home theater forums.

I think, a better idea would be to use a mic with a laptop and Room EQ Wizard. It's a free application that can be used to do acoustic measurements and so much more.

You can do measurements in real-time btw. It would be better to use a calibrated mic, but for the low end any mic will be better than winging it without a mic.

Here's a $20 calibrated mic by Dayton Audio:

I used it when I installed some DIY acoustic panels on my studio and home theater.

This is before the panels:

1614814155118.png

This is after the panels:

1614814173839.png

rdd27

All the subs I have seen have built-in crossover for stereo. What about surround?

Other than using the sub as a discreet .1 channel, is there any way for one sub to do bass management for a 4-channel surround system? Do you just have to make do with the rear speaker channels not going to the sub?

OP
Pier

Pier

All the subs I have seen have built-in crossover for stereo. What about surround?

Other than using the sub as a discreet .1 channel, is there any way for one sub to do bass management for a 4-channel surround system? Do you just have to make do with the rear speaker channels not going to the sub?
I don't know about pro-audio... but usually the home theater receiver does the bass management.

I've been reading the manual for the KRK 12s sub and there's this diagram which says there's some hardware "bass manager".

1614867267700.png

I've been looking into monitor controllers for surround setups but haven't found any that does bass management.

This sub by Genelec does have surround inputs and bass management options.

Instrugramm

All of the samples? Yes please!

I control my subs individually via the line outs of my Apollo, I could hook up 4 without a problem but 4 are hard to dial in or rather place ideally without creating nulls. I don't even use more than 2 in my Home Theater setups (9.2 and 5.2 respectively), stop giving me bad ideas.:shocked:
Or maybe I do need more subs... hmmmm:elephant:

OP
Pier

Pier

A bit off topic... but I found these so called subwoofer exciters which transmit low frequencies to solid objects (chair, sofa, etc).

One of those goes a low as 5Hz...

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarrini (btw, don't own it, just love it)
I had a PreSonus T10 with a pair of Eris E5 speakers and what drove me nuts was having to reach under the desk to control the sub volume. This also wasn’t the bestest sounding setup either and the E5’s have ZERO shielding so I had to keep my iPhone 10 feet away to not hear the dit-dit-dit-dit come through. I put the whole rig on OfferUp last year, gone. Needless to say that soured my desire to deal with a sub.

However, I recently discovered and bought a pair of Neumann KH80s which I’m bonkers about, and then discovered the KH750 sub (not purchased YET) and KH80s are all controllable with an iPad app. THATS what I’m talkin’ about! So the sub is on the wishlist as I gather the funds. Just threw a 1GB NetGear switch on my desk since I have to run Cat5e cables to all three cabinets to gain network access for the Neumann iPad app to work. Once all set up I’ll report back, but the sub is mandatory with these smaller KH80s, you can tell the sub will complete the story. Even just to play the Garritan CFX and feel the octaves in the bass will be worth the price of admission. And what a price it is, good NIGHT Aunt Martha.

Jiffster

My room is a fully calibrated 7.1.4. Typically for music composition I would work in 2.0 / 4.0. Whenever 5.1 music is requested by a client, I oblige of course, but I leave the LFE and centre channel alone, for the most part. If your monitors struggle below 60hz then I can see how a sub is important for music.

On the other hand, with sound design, a sub is essential.

Of course, you should use whatever set up you feel comfortable with and are used to, and if that involves a sub, have at it 😉

Last edited:

Nimrod7

Bill Kastanakis
I am expecting a Genelec 7360A to arrive mid April. I will eventually be in a 2.1 setup.
It was a bit of a concern on how to drive the sub volume independently, being able to switch between at least 2 monitor sets, mute, switch to headphones dimming the monitor volume with 1 button, etc.

Doing all that through my interface could have been a torture.
A couple of months ago, I got a Grace Design m905 as the centerpiece of my studio.

And I found peace...

They have m908 which goes up to Dolby Atmos 22.2 but has a relevant price tag.

Last edited:

jcrosby

I am expecting a Genelec 7360A to arrive mid April. I will be eventually be in a 2.1 setup.
It was a bit of a concern on how to drive the sub volume independently, being able to switch between at least 2 monitor sets, mute, switch to headphones dimming the monitor volume with 1 button, etc.

Doing all that through my interface could have been a torture.
A couple of months ago, I got a Grace Design m905 as the centerpiece of my studio.

And I found peace...

They have m908 which goes up to Dolby Atmos 22.2 but has a relevant price tag.
One other option is the Dangerous Music Monitor ST... It's 2.1 by default but can be expanded for various surround formats as needed... It also allows you to discretely control the level of the sub per monitor set, adjust I/O levels per device, etc... All of which is stored and recalled when switching monitors or input devices..

It also fetches a premium price tag, but that's the reality of monitor controllers... You won't find this level of granular control with the option of modular expandability in a consumer grade product.

3DC

If you want to write for professional projects, get a sub, no matter how rudimentary. If you are a hobbyist, then of course do as you please.

It's always nice to have a treated room, but whether or not you do, get a sub. If you can't hear what's going on between 20-50 Hz you can make significant mixing mistakes, especially in media music.
Newbie questions if I may:
1. I have a pair of entry level M-Audio BX8 monitors in a very small and untreated room ( 1.8 width and 4m ). Their frequency range is 37-22.000 Hz. Should I still buy a sub?
2. If yes then what size of sub since my monitors are 8"?
3. Would Mackie Big Knob Studio+ be good enough for this 2.1 setup?

Last edited:

chillbot

Sock Muppet
Hi @chillbot, as a Dynaudio user I'm curious why you didn't replace with same brand sub?
No real reason. I.e. laziness?

To be honest, I think I could probably tell the difference between a $50 sub and a $500 sub but once you get into a certain price range I'm fairly certain my ears would not be able to distinguish between brands. Interested to hear other's thoughts on this though.

I always have two sets of speakers in the studio, one that I write on and one that I mix on though I kinda mix on both because I like to A/B. I had the JBL LSR4328Ps + LSR12P sub and the Dynaudio BM15As + BX30 sub. For some reason subs tend to die on me, not sure why. Anyway they both died, separately, and had to be replaced but in the mean time we figured out (or my assistant did) that via the Dangerous Remote I can send the sub signal out separately and don't need to send the speaker audio through the subs, allowing me to just use one sub for both speakers, which saves a bunch of room in the studio. So I went from having $4,000 worth of subs to just the little JBL 310S and it seems to be plenty for me, which is ironic because I've since swapped out for the LYD48s and the Adam Audio A77Xs. No more JBLs except for the sub.

Top Bottom