Do you hate the GUI in Komplete Kontrol?

Virtuoso

For years I've been complaining about the fixed screen size and tiny, fuzzy text in Komplete Kontrol and waiting in vain for NI to sort out what seems to be an obvious and annoying limitation. Well it turns out there's a very quick and easy fix! :dancer:

Edit 3 text files and you can have any screen size and font size you want. It still won't be Hi-DPI but it's way better than the default look. Check out the guide below and don't be nervous about the hack - it's just 3 text files, takes 2 minutes and you can always do it on a copy of the App if you want to make absolutely sure first.

Guy Rowland

This hack has been around for a while now and it works perfectly. It beggars belief that NI haven’t made this a preference since 1.0 - it’s not uncommon to see only 2 or 3 filtered results at a time without it, which is clearly absurd.

It’s not an isolated myopic case in Komplete Kontrol either. There is no way to display results in order of plugin. This means you can’t audition everything quickly, every new result typically launches a different product which can take an age. NI’s solution to this is to use static preview wavs which take up vast amount of disk space on a large install, and are massively less useful than just simply playing a few notes. As it is, unless you go into detailed info on each search result, there’s no way to even tell what product each preset is for.

One more basic fail - no way to search more than one library unless you search them all. Reaktor lacks a tag browser, so KK would be a useful host to all those libraries, but there’s no way to filter in that way.

KK is NI’s most basically deficient product. Many years after launch it hasn’t even reached the level of useability found in the old Kore Player. So many other NI products have brilliant coding, it’s hard to speculate why KK has been singled out for such atrocious treatment. Perhaps the recent sad layoffs are another clue - poor management.

Dewdman42

especially when their midi controllers are basically dependent on KK entirely for the hardware experience...

Akarin

pragsound.com
Nice. But I never see KK UI. I go to View -> Edit View and I have my default Kontakt UI rather than the more or less useless KK browser.

davidson

No text search in one of KK's biggest failings, along with that ridiculous left hand panel. Thanks for this!

LowweeK

Monkeying with libraries
especially when their midi controllers are basically dependent on KK entirely for the hardware experience...
This !
I’ve got a KK61mk2 that I use mostly... in midi mode. No use for their KK bulky middleware.
Like many of us, I dream one day of having NKS directly in Kontakt / DAW.

Akarin

pragsound.com
This !
I’ve got a KK61mk2 that I use mostly... in midi mode. No use for their KK bulky middleware.
Like many of us, I dream one day of having NKS directly in Kontakt / DAW.
Check my reply above. You don't need to see KK and still have all the benefits while in Kontakt :)

LowweeK

Monkeying with libraries
Got it, but still you need to encapsulate your Kontakt inside Komplete Kontrol.
What I'm dreaming of is to get rid of KK and benefit from all KK features (mostly key lighting & params on screens) directly from each Kontakt instance in my DAW.
I talked with a representative of NI some years ago and the guy told me that it's not technically possible though...