What's new

Do You buy samples for Kontakt only ?

Of course, by my standard, it's not empirical. Not saying people always make it worse, but in my judgement often they do more harm than good. The developers generally are better than the users in the decision making. (Ditto for EQ, btw.)

iI you disagree, you disagree.
I agree that, GENERALLY, developers are better at it. It is their business, after all. But as I said, they don't always get it right and it's nice to be able to fix it. But, again, there are SO many other things you can do with Kontakt. With the right tweaks using the built-in effects, utilities, eq's, etc., you can almost create an entirely different instrument.

But then maybe I'm a little more adventurous than some.

At the moment I am using Kontakt, UVI, XLN audio (Addictive drums), Best Service Engine, Aria (Garritan Instant orch) and EW Play.

Spitfire plugin will probably be the next one (for BBC Symphony Orchestra).

In Kontakt you can tweak volume/pan/tuning at the sample level if you so desire. You can't do that in Play. I spent about a month on Composer Cloud exploring Play and all it had to offer and was severely underwhelmed. That's why I was only on the Cloud for a month. If all you want is a rompler, then either Play or Kontakt Player will work just fine. But anyone who's really serious about this stuff owns the full version of Kontakt and knows it's a Ferrari that makes Play look like a tricycle.
Well yes under the hood stuff is not available in the "players", but it would be mis-leading to suggest that Kontakt is the only option for under the hood manipulation (Im *NOT* suggesting you are doing this by the way). I can think of at least 3 different samplers that allow this:

- UVI Falcon
- Halion
- HISE (which is at least as powerful as Kontakt - and is free...)

I'm sure there's more.

Clearly each of these has its own learning curve, but so does Kontakt.

I will never understand why people compare Play with Kontakt they are two different types of sample players.

Play is a sample player with some nice effects, it does not pretend to be more than that but what it does it does it very well even up until this very day,

If kontakt is to be compared it should be Haloin , UVI Falcon or even Izotope Iris, N I battery is also a great sampler and in some ways more useful than Kontakt.

Any Player that stands the test of time should not be knocked the very reason why East West Play is still around is because it is needed and plays an important roll in our projects.

Individual developer sample players gives choice and options and freedom and color, the only tweaking any one should be doing is instrument notes Automation, eq and so on inside your DAW if your doing anything more than that then you have missed the point,

Point me to where I can listen to these marvels.
Say what? I'm telling you that the ability to tweak instruments in Kontakt has, for me, never been reckless and always rewarding. So I'm not sure what marvels it is you want to hear. You want me to play a patch I've tweaked? What would be the point in that?

Say what? I'm telling you that the ability to tweak instruments in Kontakt has, for me, never been reckless and always rewarding. So I'm not sure what marvels it is you want to hear. You want me to play a patch I've tweaked? What would be the point in that?

Just curious to hear if you actually make something sound better or worse to my ear.

Top Bottom