What's new

Do we need Kontakt 6

bartveld

So NI has released Kontakt 6. Do I need to upgrade? Looking at the specs it seems to me most changes are for developers. Some instruments seem to be included... not sure if I need them. I would like to hear from y'all what you think of this.

This of course is a question that could have a number of answers. A very broad question indeed.
In truth, do we need anything?
As someone living in the Western world, we have shelter, food, relationships, employment...
Everything beyond that is really a degree of want, with a great virtue being the want for nothing :)

We do need:
-Truth
-Honest and lasting relationships
-Good leadership
-Objective Moral standard

So in short, NO... I don't think we need Kontakt 6 at all. But do we want it?...
Now there is a far more accurate query!

The new instruments are quite nice, but also the only reason to get Kontakt 6 now unless you are a developer or tinkerer. At some point new libraries will start to require it, but it will probably take some time.

@Shad0wLandsUK::shocked: Never thought to get a philosophical/ethical treatise on my question, so thank you. If I were new to the game you would have a point. However, as a regular user of Kontakt 5 I think I'm justified in asking if I need Kontakt 6, aside from the fact whether I want it. Still, your thoughts are in a general sense very valid.

Back on topic: there is scant info on the NI website. What have they done under the hood that might make it a necessity for new libraries?

So NI has released Kontakt 6. Do I need to upgrade? Looking at the specs it seems to me most changes are for developers. Some instruments seem to be included... not sure if I need them. I would like to hear from y'all what you think of this.
I'll be jumping this version - probably get v7 but only if libraries are demanding it

This of course is a question that could have a number of answers. A very broad question indeed.
In truth, do we need anything?
As someone living in the Western world, we have shelter, food, relationships, employment...
Everything beyond that is really a degree of want, with a great virtue being the want for nothing :)

We do need:
-Truth
-Good leadership

So in short, NO... I don't think we need Kontakt 6 at all. But do we want it?...
Now there is a far more accurate query!
Whoa. That escalated quickly.

@EvilDragon: could you elaborate on those new scripting features?

We can finally use custom fonts in our GUIs. We can now detect mouse states (pressed, hover, off) on XY pads (and this might happen for other controls, like sliders, in an update, we'll see). Access to the wavetable oscillator will help creating cool hybrid instruments - wavetables can be used in a myriad of interesting ways. Creator Tools allow much better debugging, which really helps in development. And so on...

We can finally use custom fonts in our GUIs. We can now detect mouse states (pressed, hover, off) on XY pads (and this might happen for other controls, like sliders, in an update, we'll see). Access to the wavetable oscillator will help creating cool hybrid instruments - wavetables can be used in a myriad of interesting ways. Creator Tools allow much better debugging, which really helps in development. And so on...
Still, all developer things. I can see future instruments coming which will only be fully functional with Kontakt 6. However, is it likely that existing instruments will get an update to implement Kontakt 6 functionality? Or would that not be worth the developer's while?

Still, all developer things. I can see future instruments coming which will only be fully functional with Kontakt 6. However, is it likely that existing instruments will get an update to implement Kontakt 6 functionality? Or would that not be worth the developer's while?
But if a developer uses new features for a new library, and if you like and want to use that library, you'll have to buy Kontakt 6...Because you'll not be able to use them with Kontakt 5.

But if a developer uses new features for a new library, and if you like and want to use that library, you'll have to buy Kontakt 6...Because you'll not be able to use them with Kontakt 5.
Evidently. Question is: is it likely that old libraries will be upgraded to incorporate Kontakt 6 functionality?

That solely depends on the developer, really.

I'm pretty sure lots of developers will also want to incorporate the new delay and reverb FX that were added.

I use it all the time to load instruments. But I don't tweak much in Kontakt so that's why I'm hesitant.
@EvilDragon: could you elaborate on those new scripting features?

Scripting can be beneficial to those who just use Kontakt to load sounds.

How?

A developer may use scripting to make a Cello play more authentically, or a Guitar respond more like a real guitar (not the easiest thing for a sampled Guitar).

In fact, many of the best sampled instruments are so because they incorporate some scripting.

In fact, many of the best sampled instruments are so because they incorporate some scripting.
True, but from what I gather from the NI videos on Kontakt 6 it makes scripting easier for developers. It's not like the final (scripted) product can't be used in Kontakt 5.
The longer I look at it, the more it seems that this version is primarily made to deliver tools for developers. There are 3 libraries in it and a few new effects, which may have been added to attract the regular user, but the emphasis is very much on the developer. Which is OK, but not really relevant to an end-user.

I suspect you will need Kontakt 6 when someone puts out a library that you have to have that requires the full version of Kontakt 6. I suspect most of the big boys will release player versions of their instruments so that may be a while. From a consumer view, this is the least interesting Kontakt ever. From a dev view it is quite interesting, but who is going to use my little instruments if I go K6 tomorrow? I think they made a mistake by not including the limited new Orchestral stuff in the KFL and including the full orchestral in regular KU, they weakened both by trying to generate more revenue.

P.S. I also need the writings of PG Wodehouse and would refuse to live in any world in which they did not exist. But that is another story...

We do need:
-Truth
-Good leadership

Well, looks like we're really flying off the tracks now. You do not *need* any of those things. You need water and food, and if you are ill or injured, some way of recovering or at best managing that to prolong life as long as possible. That's about it.

Truths are subjective and truths that you "need" may be lies crafted to protect you from reality.
Honest and lasting relationships are a desire.
Good leadership is not necessary as life can be manageable even under bad leadership. Plenty of 1st world leaders are awful and their citizens lead great lives; but also, there are bad leaders in worse-off countries and yet people still are able to live there. Live well? Live long? No. But oppressive countries still have citizenry.
Objective moral standards are also a desire.

Top Bottom