What's new

Do users need snapshots?

EvgenyEmelyanov

Wavelet Audio
Hey guys! We are finishing the guitar library. And I'm wondering, should we to create the snapshots if the library is not NKS encoded? We do not have Player and NKS support. I mean, if we do the snapshots we will make our clients create a folder and then move the snapshots into it. Does it come in handy so much for users?

P. S. We already did simple NKA presets.

Snapshots are quite tricky with non-Kontakt Player libraries. Basically they will only work on your computer, but not user computers without resaving each and every snapshot individually. NKAs are probably a better way to go for non-KP libraries.

Snapshots are quite tricky with non-Kontakt Player libraries. Basically they will only work on your computer, but not user computers without resaving each and every snapshot individually. NKAs are probably a better way to go for non-KP libraries.
I'm missing something.
I'v got some non-Kontakt Player libraries that came with snapshots that didn't need to be (re) saved individually (snapshots), could you elaborate a bit?

Last edited:
@pendle SoundDust snapshots seem to be easy to install and work fine for me. What's the drama about?

I'm missing something.
I'v got some non-Kontakt Player libraries that came with snapshots that didn't need to be saved individually (snapshots), could you elaborate a bit?

Did you get the folder with the snapshots with the library, right? And you had to move it to snapshots folder, isn't correct?

Did you get the folder with the snapshots with the library, right? And you had to move it to snapshots folder, isn't correct?
Funny, @pendle's libraries were some I had in mind when writing my post.
Yes, had the folder but had also from time to time to create it from the "instrument's option" and copy snapshots into it.
For the latter scenario, a "read me" text (I think remembering that some even included a video, but frankly it isn't necessary...) usually comes with the Kontakt files explaining the steps to follow to install snapshots.
Its definitely nice to have some snapshots from devs, like for synth presets, it gives some ideas of whats doable with the said library.

I released a non player library a while ago with snapshots. The only hassle is that the user has to copy the snapshots in the user content folder himself, but otherwise the snapshots can be usefull. I got good and positive feedback on it for using them.

However, keep in mind that as soon as you update something big in your engine, you have to redo/resave all your snapshots again, so only make them when you are 100% sure your engine is done (or prepare to redo them again with an older copy of your engine).

Yes that's correct, it was @EvilDragon post that I was confused by but then @Jaap piped in and explained the problem.

From a library user point of view (=me), as much content as possible especially in terms of presets is great as it gives a good launch platform to exploring the product. Plus it makes the consumer feel that they have bought a worthwhile product with lots of possibilities and options (good psychology).

@pendle gives explicit instructions with each product how to install the snapshots and gives a huge number which allow fast and easy exploration of the products.

Kontakt now very kindly allows you to press a button to create and show the User Snapshot Folder whereas before it was a case of burrowing deeply into the Finder (Mac).

If you use snaps from Kontakt it might be fine, but it won't work from KK or Maschine, since they reference the absolute path to the NKI from the computer the snapshots were created on.

Top Bottom