What's new

Do I stay or should I go

Spike2000

I would say stay in school
  • You have paid for most of that degree already. As stated above, dont end up getting nothing (on paper) for that money.
  • Many teaching jobs required a degree (and many require a masters). You are close to getting one. Get it. That gives you more options in the future.
  • If you love music, I would not recommend changing majors to something you don't know if you will like. You can start taking other classes though. Take a business class or software development class. Or start learning those things on the side (youtube, Khan, Udemy, etc).
  • And it's ok to be a little selfish. If you are fortunate enough to be able to go to this school, do it. This well might be the last chance you ever get to have the freedom to learn something you love, by good/great teachers, surrounded by like minds, in a great city (assuming).
  • Stop worrying about debt. Mr Robot will take care of it for you. (kidding, good to worry but I believe the above points supersede the debt point)

Last edited:
OP
dexterjettser

dexterjettser

I would say stay in school
  • You have paid for most of that degree already. As stated above, dont end up getting nothing (on paper) for that money.
  • Many teaching jobs required a degree (and many require a masters). You are close to getting one. Get it. That gives you more options in the future.
  • If you love music, I would not recommend changing majors to something you don't know if you will like. You can start taking other classes though. Take a business class or software development class. Or start learning those things on the side (youtube, Khan, Udemy, etc).
  • And it's ok to be a little selfish. If you are fortunate enough to be able to go to this school, do it. This well might be the last chance you ever get to have the freedom to learn something you love, by good/great teachers, surrounded by like minds, in a great city (assuming).
  • Stop worrying about debt. Mr Robot will take care of it for you. (kidding, good to worry but I believe the above points supersede the debt point)
Yeah fair point. I could stay an extra year and get my masters in music Ed. I’m not sure about job ops but I haven’t really looked. I’m sure there’s plenty in NY

sinkd

Don't get a teaching degree unless you really want to be a teacher. It's not just a "day job" to pay the bills-- or shouldn't be-- where you clock out at 3:00 and use the rest of your time for for the things you really want to do. Succeeding as a music educator means after school rehearsals, concerts, clinics, competitions, etc. In the instrumental field you could have summer marching band commitment.

If you want to be a composer, then you have to work at that 100%. That said, a business, entrepreneurship or marketing minor could pay off in the long run. I can't tell you what the cost/benefit of your degree will be, because it is worth a lot more than just the training you get in composition (and I don't know the cost, specifically).

--DS

Top Bottom