Do I really need BBCSO if I have SSO?

Paul T McGraw

I already own SSO and love the tone quality. It is a bit frustrating to work with sometimes. I would prefer 4 separate horns, 3 seperate trumpets, etc. Also the volume of some articulations seems off. But although sometimes a pain, it does sound really great to me. Do I really need BBCSO?

Here is a mockup of the opening tune of the Dvorak New World Symphony, second movement. I think SSO really sounds great to me in this, with the exception of the last note, which seems to have some sort of distortion, probably from my computer setup.

I have attached the Midi file I used.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbuhler

I already own SSO and love the tone quality. It is a bit frustrating to work with sometimes. I would prefer 4 separate horns, 3 seperate trumpets, etc. Also the volume of some articulations seems off. But although sometimes a pain, it does sound really great to me. Do I really need BBCSO?

Here is a mockup of the opening tune of the Dvorak New World Symphony, second movement. I think SSO really sounds great to me in this, with the exception of the last note, which seems to have some sort of distortion, probably from my computer setup.

I have attached the Midi file I used.
Need? No, I wouldn't say you need it. Would BBCSO be an added asset or faster or more flexible or more cohesive? These are harder questions, and what I struggle with as I also decide whether to buy BBCSO even though I have SSO (and SCS, the solo strings, and the Spitfire Percussion). BBCSO, though, is not going to get you four separate horns or 3 separate trumpets, so it doesn't seem to offer what you are finding most lacking in SSO. So maybe you need to look to another company's brass libraries to address that before getting BBCSO?

OP
Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw

Need? No, I wouldn't say you need it. Would BBCSO be an added asset or faster or more flexible or more cohesive? These are harder questions, and what I struggle with as I also decide whether to buy BBCSO even though I have SSO (and SCS, the solo strings, and the Spitfire Percussion). BBCSO, though, is not going to get you four separate horns or 3 separate trumpets, so it doesn't seem to offer what you are finding most lacking in SSO. So maybe you need to look to another company's brass libraries to address that before getting BBCSO?
I have Berlin Brass and use it a lot. I'm just saying BBCSO would not be my perfect library anyway, so what will it give me that I really need?

jbuhler

I have Berlin Brass and use it a lot. I'm just saying BBCSO would not be my perfect library anyway, so what will it give me that I really need?
I don't see much, other than the cohesiveness, the basic sound, and a bit more flexibility to get a sound that isn't Air. I haven't yet convinced myself that those things are worth $750. If the consistency across instruments turns out to be a large improvement over SSO that would be another reason.