What's new

DNA of the Oscar winning soundtrack ?

milesito

hi all,

Just was pondering what it would take to win best soundtrack and I am curious to hear what you all feel are the main elements of an Oscar winning score...I know Ennio won last year. I haven't seen the hateful 8 yet but it must have been amazing - fitting the picture, moving, and innovative right?

All thoughts welcome..

You can hear that these scores deliver a kind of devotion. They are convincing. They let you forget you're watching a movie. Same goes for acting, directing, editing, etc. In most scores you can hear too much ego or/and small inconsistencies. Other times, everythings OK with the score, but the quality is simply missing. Lobbying and politics are also factors, but in the end the most convincing (big movie) score will win.

In most scores you can hear too much ego or/and small inconsistencies. Other times, everythings OK with the score, but the quality is simply missing. Lobbying and politics are also factors, but in the end the most convincing (big movie) score will win.
Those scores are filtered out by the nomination – or even just in the consideration.

Those scores are filtered out by the nomination – or even just in the consideration.
Out of the nominees, wouldn't you say I'm right? I mean we're talking mainstream here, it's the Oscars, not an indie festival.

Last edited:
what you all feel are the main elements of an Oscar winning score

The film. It's about the film first, and the score second. Sure, any great score can stand on it's own as well as serve the picture well, but the film needs to be of a certain caliber, in order for the music to really work. Crap film + great music doesn't get you a nomination. Good film and good music can.

Cheers.

hi all,

Just was pondering what it would take to win best soundtrack and I am curious to hear what you all feel are the main elements of an Oscar winning score...I know Ennio won last year. I haven't seen the hateful 8 yet but it must have been amazing - fitting the picture, moving, and innovative right?

All thoughts welcome..

At the risk of being lynched here,..I saw the 70mm extended version of Hateful 8,..thats 3 and 1/2 hours of my life I want back! I found the score distracting and painful to listen to in certain sections of the film,.(those piercing strings and that ear bleeding organ loosening my fillings),...Im pretty sure that was an Oscar he was given (and he deserved) for all the incredible scores hes composed,(The Good The Bad And The Ugly) is still mind blowing everytime I hear it Im a kid again watching those Spaghetti westerns.) D

The Sicario score and film were totally limp to me. All the talk of tough thriller, Swans and spectral music (please) it was was just typical sap. The night vision scene was cool.

Loved the Hateful 8 score more than the film. Those high strings rattling my fillings, that riff playing over and over, trumpet theme at the end...can't get enough of it. Pure classic Morricone terror reminiscent of his scores for La Piovra and Demons of St Petersburg.

Oscar scores have to be part of an Oscar film. Past that, twee orchestra lite or morose electronica...and a "concept" that gets across while you are busy watching a film. I hope this year's winner changes this.

At the risk of being lynched here,..I saw the 70mm extended version of Hateful 8,..thats 3 and 1/2 hours of my life I want back! I found the score distracting and painful to listen to in certain sections of the film,.(those piercing strings and that ear bleeding organ loosening my fillings),..

Perhaps your displeasure was based somewhat upon the speakers and or volume you were listening to since your criticism is directed at the harshness of the score. I have found that recently the theaters have played films and trailers so loud that is all sounds harsh and poor to me.

As far as being lynched, no, but I have sent your information to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to put on their "watch list". If you see Tom Hanks at your home, get the hell out of there, as the Academy has made an unfavorable decision on your fate!

This is a current topic for me. I commute 3h every day and, in addition to classical music, I started listening to every Oscar-winning score I could find (mostly on Youtube). Or at least a 'suite' if the full OST is not around. Started chronologically with the original Korngold Robin Hood. Today was E.T. Has been quite a journey :) I've continually been impressed by Miklos Rozsa (among others).

Of course politics plays a huge role. In this case IMO the industry was trying to balance the failure to officially recognize his incredible work over the decades. Aside from the spaghetti stuff, consider The Red Tent or more importantly The Mission which was IMO some of the most creative writing ever.

While definitely not suffering pocketbook-wise, Zimmer has suffered much the same fate of having some of his best work like Gladiator ignored by the Academy.

Top Bottom