What's new

Divisimate | Realtime MIDI Divisi Engine | Release Thread

Nextmidi

Hey Everyone,

We promised an announcement today to clear up what’s up with these teasers. Now here’s what’s up.

We are very proud to release our personal pet project for the last two years: Divisimate.
www.divisimate.com

Packshot_OutNow_VI-Control.png
Watch the trailer to get a first impression of what this is:

Now what is it?

Divisimate is a standalone application for Mac and PC designed to help you perform and record orchestrations in your DAW in real time.

It will create 32 virtual MIDI ports, which will appear in your sequencer as separate midi devices. In Divisimate, live input is split up into individual voices which you can modify and route to any of the output ports.
1576077643039.png
In most DAWs (except Logic) you can select a distinct midi device for every single track, so it is possible to have every Divisimate output port assigned to a different instrument. Every combination of routings in Divisimate will now correspond to a specific instrumentation and voicing in your template.
Now you can edit and build presets to fit your personal template and workflow. Do you need Divisimate only for the Brass, and prefer to program the rest normally? Do you want to perform the full orchestra? Or a Big Band? Or even experimental synth sounds? In the studio? On stage?

This works best and is most fun with playable instruments, but we’ve included features that allow articulation switching via keyswitch and UACC, so you can make essentially any library work with it.

Sounds fun, where can I learn more?

There is much more information available at www.divisimate.com. I’m preparing video tutorials for all features of the software. The first two are up on our youtube channel and this website right now. The rest will follow soon. There is a full manual and some quickstarts available on the support page as well.

What about the teasers?

In the teasers, Peter used his personal orchestral template he built to work with Divisimate.

We'll post a full rundown of what he used later. We'll also prepare a video walkthrough of his template to show how the positioning and routing works and how Divisimate fits in with it.

I know we have been quiet during the teaser phase. All this has been a lot of work. However we are here to answer any questions from now on. We hope you enjoy our something new!

All the best,
Steffen & Peter

Update:

iPhone App Announcement small.png

Last edited:
Wow this looks awesome! Really curious how this would affect my workflow. I reckon it has a little bit of a learning curve haha!

While i know this is focused on live playing, can this plugin also help with midi editing afterwards? Splitting up a midi track or other stuff? Or is it really solely when recording midi?

For sure there is potential in this workflow tool, but with a busy schedule for the next 2 months - buying now, something that looks like it might take more than a couple days to set up for our individual unique rigs, may cause me to miss the introductory price. :( I probably speak for a few of us when I say 'templates' (lots of them) will be critical. Congratulations on the release.

Cool! That sounds very promising!
Is a tablet necessary, or is it possible without it, or would it also work with an iPhone plus (with restrictions) as a controller device? Can more than one controller device be used?

Jeez, so many questions are diving into my head ...

While i know this is focused on live playing, can this plugin also help with midi editing afterwards? Splitting up a midi track or other stuff?
We have tried stuff like that - it's possible to route MIDI from a DAW track into Divisimate and record the output on other tracks. You just need a MIDI loopback tool like Loopmidi on Windows - and on Mac it's super easy without additional software.

I probably speak for a few of us when I say 'templates' (lots of them) will be critical.
We know that this tool is most powerful with a dedicated template. We just wanted to get this out there first, but we will see what we can do over the next couple of months to offer ready-to-go templates.

Is a tablet necessary, or is it possible without it, or would it also work with an iPhone plus (with restrictions) as a controller device?
The tablet controller is not necessary - everything you can control on there, you can control in the desktop app as well. It's just for convenience in the workflow.

That's pretty cool! Looks like The Orchestra on steroids. I applaud the push for innovation. Anything that can add life and movement to our mockups is a big win in my book. Congrats -- I'll keep an eye for the walkthroughs.

This is absolutely fantastic, I will buy it! A true ensemble in your hand, yeah :)

@Nextmidi Which Orchestra Library did you use for your Teasers?

Last edited:
Thanks. Of course most here are curious as to the 'nuts and bolts' of how you created teaser A (both from your software AND sample / modeling libraries used. Looking forward to that.
With Teaser A I immediately thought of Orchestral Tools, but then again not when the solo violin came into play.
Probably a mix of different libraries which is a good explanation for the tool, what it is able to do.

Great. Can the product work with a kontakt standalone multi.... without any daw ? Or must it work within a daw only. Just an idea..... Thanks

@Nextmidi Which Orchestra Library did you use for your Teasers?
You’re listening to a 32-track template with the following VIs.
Positioning is done using Eareckon Eareverb 2 (ERs) and Altiverb TODD AO (Tail).

All nextmidi teasers have been played with the setup below.

Although also all other articulations, mutes etc. can be recalled directly with Divisimate’s ‘Trigger' Plugin shooting CCs (audiomodeling), UACC (spitfireaudio) or KS upon load of every preset to every single port/instrument independently.

WW: Tin Whistle - Ilya Efimov
Piccolo, Flute, Alto Flute - Audiomodeling
Oboe 1/2, Eng. Horn – Aaron Venture Infinite Woodwinds
Bb Clarinet 1/2, Bb Bass Clarinet - Audiomodeling
Bassoon 1/2, CBassoon – Audiomodeling

BRASS
Horn 1-4, Trumpet 1-4, Trombone 1-3, Bass Trombone, Tuba Samplemodeling Brass

PERC

Piano - Garritan Yamaha CFX

STRINGS
Vl. I, Vl. II, Vla, Vc., D.B. each on one midi track, each sending out to a combination of 4 instrument tracks:

e.g. Vl. I:
- Spitfire Audio Symphonic Strings Violin I (ProEdition, Broad Mix, all articulations in one Kontakt instance - Performance Legato)
- Audiomodeling Violin I (Body a)
- Audiomodeling Violin I (Body b)
- Audiomodeling Violin I (Body c)

The key to the string sound is the combination of multiple modeled solo instruments and the sampled ensemble and the simultaneous performance of the parts with Divisimate.
This way you get the detail, vibrato and expression from the solos and the tone and body from the ensemble.
I reckon you could achieve a similar result with Berlin Strings.

Woha!! I´m going to be 70 yo next summer. I walk my dog every day for about two hours compiled.
I´m a vegetarian since 1981 (feel free to bash me for my very conscientious choice - I could´t care less..)
I recon my choice of nutrition and the excessive walking (I´m sure someone will call it exessive..) could have a positive influence on my physical & mental health. I write music and have been doing so for my whole life. Is my music any good? I´m not the person to ask - but I have been performed.. Some small pieces now and then. NOW - this software... hmmm? I think I´ll just have to go for it.
If not but for the learning process of the software. I recon - either I´m accelerating going gaa-gaa or, I´m postponing that due to the fact, this is a lot to learn and assimilate thus hopefully forcing the brain to stay alert. The possibilities of this software! Especially when noodling.. And with MY LIBRARIES!! Well done guys!

For sure there is potential in this workflow tool, but with a busy schedule for the next 2 months - buying now, something that looks like it might take more than a couple days to set up for our individual unique rigs, may cause me to miss the introductory price. :( I probably speak for a few of us when I say 'templates' (lots of them) will be critical. Congratulations on the release.

Well said. Agree. Please make this a priority NextMidi.

Even if you don't build a megasetup. Just to build good sounding string ensembles is an interesting tool.
How often have I built my own ensembles from several solo instruments to avoid having to fight 180 violins?

The person I work for often sketches strings on a single track. Can I take the MIDI he creates and use DivisiMate to split it after the fact? In other words can DM work on already recorded MIDI or is it purely for realtime use?

You’re listening to a 32-track template with the following VIs.
Positioning is done using Eareckon Eareverb 2 (ERs) and Altiverb TODD AO (Tail).

All nextmidi teasers have been played with the setup below.

Although also all other articulations, mutes etc. can be recalled directly with Divisimate’s ‘Trigger' Plugin shooting CCs (audiomodeling), UACC (spitfireaudio) or KS upon load of every preset to every single port/instrument independently.

WW: Tin Whistle - Ilya Efimov
Piccolo, Flute, Alto Flute - Audiomodeling
Oboe 1/2, Eng. Horn – Aaron Venture Infinite Woodwinds
Bb Clarinet 1/2, Bb Bass Clarinet - Audiomodeling
Bassoon 1/2, CBassoon – Audiomodeling

BRASS
Horn 1-4, Trumpet 1-4, Trombone 1-3, Bass Trombone, Tuba Samplemodeling Brass

PERC

Piano - Garritan Yamaha CFX

STRINGS
Vl. I, Vl. II, Vla, Vc., D.B. each on one midi track, each sending out to a combination of 4 instrument tracks:

e.g. Vl. I:
- Spitfire Audio Symphonic Strings Violin I (ProEdition, Broad Mix, all articulations in one Kontakt instance - Performance Legato)
- Audiomodeling Violin I (Body a)
- Audiomodeling Violin I (Body b)
- Audiomodeling Violin I (Body c)

The key to the string sound is the combination of multiple modeled solo instruments and the sampled ensemble and the simultaneous performance of the parts with Divisimate.
This way you get the detail, vibrato and expression from the solos and the tone and body from the ensemble.
I reckon you could achieve a similar result with Berlin Strings.

Ok this explains it well and supports my not 'recognizing' the 'sound' for those strings in Teaser a. Has pique my interest to look at Audio Modelling again (for strings). I am less convinced with the wds from them.

Thanks for these details and any upcoming walk-thru vid of the same.

I'm still a little confused as to how this works, is it just splitting up instruments voices across the keyboard? So trumpets will be played on highest two notes if you assign it so, and horns in the middle notes and trombones on the bottom notes for example? What about switching articulations and changing dynamics? In the teasers it seemed like they were effortlessly going from short notes to long notes without key switches and changing dynamic layers without a modwheel

Top Bottom