What's new

Diva, Zebra 2 or Dark Zebra?

I just wanted to know you all that because of a good last month (financially) and a good on to come, I ended up getting all three. Just jamming out with Diva right now and really enjoying the lack of demo noise, + I realized that Howard Scarr has presets included in it which is really awesome! I will be activating Zebra and downloading Dark Zebra in a moment, and I just can't wait!

Oh that joyful moment! Enjoy that sonic journey ahead of you!

I just wanted to know you all that because of a good last month (financially) and a good on to come, I ended up getting all three. Just jamming out with Diva right now and really enjoying the lack of demo noise, + I realized that Howard Scarr has presets included in it which is really awesome! I will be activating Zebra and downloading Dark Zebra in a moment, and I just can't wait!
I think you'll be very happy with that choice. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot guys! It was a lot of money, but it hink it will be worth it! I have never played with a synth with so many actually good and usable factory presets as Diva, and I can't wait to start creating my own when I start to get the hang of it!

Reactions: oxo
Totally innocent / naïve question please. :barefoot:
What are the main features in Diva, which combo of Zebra2 & Dark Zebra cannot accomplish ??
When I read that Dar Zebra Has Diva filters, I thought I would be in great shape just going with Z2/Dk Z.

Totally innocent / naïve question please. :barefoot:
What are the main features in Diva, which combo of Zebra2 & Dark Zebra cannot accomplish ??
When I read that Dar Zebra Has Diva filters, I thought I would be in great shape just going with Z2/Dk Z.

I actually read a thread of this earlier, and mostly people spoke about the sonic quality of Diva which is hard, of not impossible, to achieve in Zebra/other VST's. There is more to how the synths sound than just the filters :)

The way I see the difference between Zebra and Diva is that Zebra (and the HZ version) is a sort of empty room, you have to decorate and think of all the things yourself, this gives a tremendous freedom, it has all the functions to go fully digital, go FM, wavetables, etc.
Diva is more like an already partly furnished house with all kinds of basic analog synths setups. Though I don't know the technical differences, the Diva filters and probably the dsp used is much more authentic and deeper then with Zebra (probably to make it more efficient overal, but just a guess here). Diva might "limit" you right from the start, but thus gives you also a clear sonic palette to explore and this palette is just pure analog and very rich. Something that in the end Zebra can also do to some extend, but with much more effort and it still "lacks" a bit the depth in my opinion that Diva can reach.

The way I see the difference between Zebra and Diva is that Zebra (and the HZ version) is a sort of empty room, you have to decorate ******
Diva is more like an already partly furnished house with all kinds of basic analog synths setups. ****
Diva might "limit" you right from the start, but thus gives you also a clear sonic palette to explore and this palette is just pure analog and very rich.

Very cool Reply …. @ Jaap !! It definitely helps define key differences floating in my head for some time. I'm guessing capable Z2 /DkZ users can get quite close to Diva for many needs, and perhaps not, for some.

I'm a long-time Omni2 /Trilian /StylusRMX ….. NI_K11U ….. ( Repro-1 /5 ) user and highly respectful of u-he.
Big decision to add Diva or Zebra2.
Good to see the extended discussion here. :thumbsup:

Good luck with Heroes !!
THX!

Very cool Reply …. @ Jaap !! It definitely helps define key differences floating in my head for some time. I'm guessing capable Z2 /DkZ users can get quite close to Diva for many needs, and perhaps not, for some.

I'm a long-time Omni2 /Trilian /StylusRMX ….. NI_K11U ….. ( Repro-1 /5 ) user and highly respectful of u-he.
Big decision to add Diva or Zebra2.
Good to see the extended discussion here. :thumbsup:

Good luck with Heroes !!
THX!

You're welcome and many thanks!

Also, I believe that the Diva filter in Dark Zebra still doesn't have the multicore support that Diva has. As it takes a lot of processing power to achieve that analog sound, this can be a pretty serious handicap. Here's what Urs Heckmann wrote about it back in 2014:

Urs said:
The ModMatrix in Zebra and Multicore are mutually exclusive (which is why ACE, Bazille and Diva have no ModMatrix). The ModMatrix requires a thread-safe voice management.

I've tried to wrap my head around this, but the effort and performance penalities to work around this are very high.
Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
Top Bottom