What's new

Distrokid - Any disadvantages in comparison to Tunecore/CDBaby?

Daryl

What was the reason they gave for banning you?
No reason given. Refused to answer emails, after a couple of replies, and wouldn't investigate anything for us. Really shoddy service, so I can't recommend them at all.

ceemusic

I've used & like everything about Catapult except for their take down fee..Keep in mind they don't support distribution to the classical genre.

ka00

Hello!
I use MusicDiffusion (http://www.musicdiffusion.com) which is quite new but great!
Their service and prices are unbeatable.
€ 2.99 per title sent on all platforms, or 29.90 the album of 10 titles, or else the platinum formula at € 15.99 / Year for the unlimited :)
The team is super reactive and really nice, it is a label also famous, not just a pipe ... They produced Tal, Akon, Snoop Dogg, Bo movies like StarTrek ... finally very heavy!

I went from Tunecore to them and I'm delighted
I just found this distributor too. The rates sound really great and it includes YouTube ContentID well. Has anyone else used this?

Edit: I can’t find much info about them, something weird on their music publishing page is that the copy reads as if it was just copy-pasted from TuneCore, including a link to TuneCore’s site for more details. As far as I can tell they are competitors, so that shouldn’t happen. Feels a bit sketchy.

Last edited:

Daryl

Just a quick update from me. CD Baby has just changed their terms and conditions. They take the same %, but now charge you for "hosting" your albums.

rollasoc

I have used CDbaby for about 10 years on and off. Tried a few others, with annual fees, but unless you are making more money than the annual fee, it isn't cost effective.

Currently using Symphonic (https://symphonicdistribution.com/) . I set up as a record label, since I record under a few different names / bands. That way it is free to distribute and they just take their cut. Had no problems with them so far. (though the last Hair Thieves EP and probably the next will be through CDBaby again, since I realised I had paid in advance for some releases).

benatural

Know that no matter who you choose, it is possible to migrate your music over to another service later if you want to. As long as you haven't signed an exlusivity agreement, and you retain identical track ISRC codes and album UPC codes, some services will migrate your music while still retaining stream counts and user playlists.

When looking for a service, make sure they have features you want. For me, it's important that I have the ability to bug fix/update an album after release, and I need to be able to tag the album so it is catalogued in the soundtrack category. Not all services provide this.

ka00

For me, it's important that I have the ability to bug fix/update an album after release,
I didn't know this was possible. Meaning, for example, you could update a track 6 months or a year later and update the album and have that update pushed to all stores? That's a great feature. Which distributor are you using?

benatural

I didn't know this was possible. Meaning, for example, you could update a track 6 months or a year later and update the album and have that update pushed to all stores? That's a great feature. Which distributor are you using?
INGrooves allows you to do this, not sure about other services though.

X-Bassist

That's my main concern about Distrokid as well. If I just had to choose between Tunecore and Distrokid, I would definitely choose the latter. But CD Baby does have the advantage of only asking for one single payment (royalties aside...). I really dislike the idea of having to pay anual fees and with CD Baby you don't have to worry about any of that... you just pay for the album once and it stays on sale forever. If you have a huge catalog, Distrokid is the best deal for sure, but, if you plan to release 1-2 albums a year, I'm starting to think that CD Baby could be a better deal. Another thing I've been thinking about is different artist names... With Distrokid, you have to upgrade your account and pay more in order to use different artist names. I suppose that with CD Baby, as you pay per album distributed, it probably wouldn't make a difference (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).
Three years later... How is the OP liking Distrokid now? :)

OP
tiago

tiago

Three years later... How is the OP liking Distrokid now? :)
I am currently using Ditto Music, which has a plan similar to Distro. I went with it simply cause Distro doesn't accept payments through paypal... Ditto is working fine for me so far. If I ever have any complaints about their service, I'll make sure to post them here in case any of you is interested to know about it. Cheers! :)

Top Bottom