What's new

Disk usage %100 in Kontakt

Ok, I had this same thing until I simply switched to SSD. Check Windows Update, its such a disk hog. Problem is that you hardly can turn it off. One solution is setting your connection as a paid one (in the settings->wifi), but I found that you often still find the Wupdate process active. And its sucks the life out of your hard disk. You can disable manually this process when you turn your computer on, but Windows 10 set it back to active after a while.

Windows update in my case was the real nightmare. Other things had very little effect. Based on my experience the SSD switch makes the real difference.

And its sucks the life out of your hard disk.

Only matters for the OS drive (even then it's not really THAT horrible, at least not over here) - if sample libraries are on separate drives, no problem there.

But OP is using a very fast NVMe drive, it's not WU.

Last edited:
Reactions: lux
Right, it was the OS drive, it was really horrible in my case, probably the disk wasn't that performing as well so that didn't help. Anyway, switching to SSD has been instant happyness.

(Also, disabling HyperThreading is such a stupid recommendation I won't even go into it. Perhaps only if you're a Cubase user because Reaper has no problems with HyperThreading for example... in fact it uses it to its advantage.)

It's not as stupid as you might think, some get performance gains with it off others don't. I saw performance increase with it off despite having a 12 core machine. Although when i started using ASIO Guard and projects got larger it was better with it on. Guy here adamant reaper is better with it off.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127608

Guy here adamant reaper is better with it off.

Well, with HT enabled Reaper performs much better over here. I see no reason why we would just leave the additional power in the CPU locked away, really. Reaper considers each logical core as a separate CPU, and is smart about not putting the main audio thread on a HTd core. No problems there.

HT had issues early on (cca 2007-2008), especially at the very lowest latencies (OS-side thread scheduling issues, which might still be there to certain extent), but times have mostly changed. If you're not using latencies below 128 samples, feel free to leave HT on. At least for Reaper.

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

So i might have been a little quick to judge because after a few playbacks the deopouts stop and it happens only during the first few playbacks .. so i am guessing its fine, has anyone experienced the same? asking out of curiosity.

Thank you all for your replies!

Hey Guys!

So i might have been a little quick to judge because after a few playbacks the deopouts stop and it happens only during the first few playbacks .. so i am guessing its fine, has anyone experienced the same? asking out of curiosity.

Thank you all for your replies!

Are you purging samples in kontakt?

HT had issues early on (cca 2007-2008), especially at the very lowest latencies (OS-side thread scheduling issues, which might still be there to certain extent), but times have mostly changed. If you're not using latencies below 128 samples, feel free to leave HT on. At least for Reaper.
It seems the Steinberg recommendation to turn off HT only applies to old versions of their software too.
6. Disable Hyper-Threading if your CPU supports it (e.g. Intel i7) and you use older sequencer versions than Cubase 7 and Nuendo 6

It seems the Steinberg recommendation to turn off HT only applies to old versions of their software too.

They updated the article. It's been around for over a decade. If you don't want to test HT don't do it. But maybe just read the countless threads, including the one i just posted, with cubase users who have benefited with it off. Even now, a few years and versions on i can task manager performance and clearly see that cubase is not using the other cores efficiently. I did post that article because every cubase user should be following those steps on a fresh windows install 100pc. Every daw user should be who understands windows.

Hi there.

Sorry for the necropost but it's exactly the good topic.
I'm having Kontakt (6.2) doing weird disk spikes. It's been a while already but now that I have a monster CPU, the bug should have gone (18 cores @ 4.4 GHz) Even with the preload size at its max, it behaves exactly the same.
When it reaches 100%, sounds are somehow killed, articulations are reset, etc...
It seems to happen only in VEP.

Here is a quick video that speaks for itself

How can I fix that sh*t?

Hey guys!

So i have recently upgraded my PC to the following specs I7 8700k 64GB RAM and disks as follows 128GB 860 EVO (OS and Cubase), 500GB samsung 960 NVMe pro SSD (Heavy Libraries), 3TB Hitachi drive 7200 RPM (2nd drive for heavy libraries), and two WD RED 3TB disks 5400RPM for all the rest of the libraries.

Now i have upgraded my machine so i could stop freezing tracks and stop from my disk usage to get to %100 however after a brand new PC upgrade i ran into this problem again and i thought that more RAM could basically solve this issue (RAM is at only %50).

I use many libraries in the projects and the heaviest one being loaded from the SSD (Orchestral), i have set my General preload buffer to 60k and it has helped but i still have them in times .. what are possible solutions i can have?

Why are you using WD Red drives? They are NAS server drives designed to be on 24/7

Also why have you such a tiny OS drive?

Yes, don't use WD Red drives. Use SSDs.

Having a monster CPU doesn't mean much if your drive is being overworked and cannot cope with streaming demands from the CPU (number of voices).

If you can't afford all SSD's, at least get drives with 7200 RPM. I put a lot of my less used/smaller/low CPU libraries on 7200 RPM drives with no issues using Kontakt.

There's no average. Different libraries have patches of different complexity, so this will impact CPU/disk usage differently.
Ain't that the truth. I find that Spitfire libraries tend to be very hard on my CPU and RAM. They don't want to let go when I try to delete the track they're on, or shut down my DAW. Don't have this problem with any other libraries.

Top Bottom