What's new

Discovery Starts Tomorrow

Got an email from Spitfire that Discover arrives in my inbox tomorrow. I'll be very curious to see what 200mb can do.

Will be doing a review, of course.
200mb can be killer. Some of the best mockups in the early days were done with a lot less. If I were a composer starting out with my first library I'd be over joyed by this. Really gracious of Spitfire to do this. It's kind of in EW tradition where they sooner or later price products so that everybody can play. I love it.

I hear a lot of people talk about "free" or "gift", but you can actually pay for it. I wonder how many voluntarily take that route, given the free option, or how many think it's worth that price to them.
I'd be mildly curious to play around with it and test the spitfire player that way, but I doubt I'd properly use it for anything, given its limitations and the libraries I already have. I find it hard to justify 49,- Euro just to mess around with it for a bit, and I'd imagine many/most here feel that way.

As José pointed out, this actually sounds very good! Maybe as yet another colour? Certainly worth the price. Man, when I compare what we had in the olden days. Amazing.

Very true:
"It's not about having the right idea, it's about 'taste.'" -- Guy Michelmore

I hear a lot of people talk about "free" or "gift", but you can actually pay for it. I wonder how many voluntarily take that route, given the free option, or how many think it's worth that price to them.
I'd be mildly curious to play around with it and test the spitfire player that way, but I doubt I'd properly use it for anything, given its limitations and the libraries I already have. I find it hard to justify 49,- Euro just to mess around with it for a bit, and I'd imagine many/most here feel that way.
It's very limited and really not worth the $49...however, if it's the ONLY library that someone has, it might be worth it...but if you already have great libraries, for $49, I doesn't offer anything at all really...and spiccatos are of different lengths too...not really an impressive prelude to the pro version...and yes, it's free, but I think SF did this as a way of creating a "demo" so that we get a taste of the library and buy the pro version or core...this is good marketing, but it's not the BBCSO's best foot forward. I would have rather seen ONE instrument, but killer...like what 8dio does with try packs, and get an actual sense of the instrument and potential, than a very scaled down version where you are still left to wonder if the full version is going to be any better.

After I filled out their questionnaire, I never received any kind of confirmation email. I still haven't received anything from them.

Did you guys get any communication from Spitfire after filling out the questionnaire?
Anyone?! (it's so nice to feel invisible....;):grin:)

I'm pretty sure it said somthing straight after filling out the survey but not 100% sure. I just done it and forgot about it really

I got no response that I remember. I just downloaded this and it sounds great for a very basic library. You could potentially write a score with this and use very little RAM for each instrument.

Got it, downloaded it, playing it in DP10. Not too shabby. Wish it was multitimbral and there was keyswitching (if there is, I can't find it).

I compared the a3 flutes to the a3 flutes in SStW...while not apples to apples, the sound of BBC is very warm in comparison, and much richer low end and not as strides of a top end...to be expected with the room differences.

However, it's nice to know that the studio series came close...it wasn't bad, just different as it should be. I did find some weird sample noises in some intervals in the BBC however...also some usual Spitfire tuning issues in the strings...I get live players aren't perfect all the time, BUT...if the entire section is out of tune, I would seriously doubt that it would be left in the recording...but this is what happens when you have the whole section that is out of tune with samples...it's just recurring over and over. Pro players are not always out of tune...SCS is completely useless to me because of tuning issues, and that wasn't cheap. So again, if this Discover is any indication of the full BBC, its not for me. The sound is nice as a whole...but strings are the main feature of most libraries, and if that's not right, then the rest doesn't matter (to me at least).

I think it's excellent. Violas sound great- big, mellow sound. Basses are good. I like the a3 oboe sound, will be useful for certain moods.

I just bought the Cinematic Percussion, this percussion will go right with it. Helpful since Studio Orch doesn't have any. Things like tubular bells and glock sound very nice. Celeste is nice and bell-like especially in the upper register. But IMO the violas are the stars. Put a first chair on 'em, ride the mod wheel and you'll have a nice viola section. Thanks Spitfire!

keyswitching (if there is, I can't find it).
Top right, below the red "tuba", that lil keyboard icon. Use that to shimmy the keyswitches up or down.

After I filled out their questionnaire, I never received any kind of confirmation email. I still haven't received anything from them.

Did you guys get any communication from Spitfire after filling out the questionnaire?
No. But when I went back to my account to try again, it said I had already filled out the questionnaire.

Top Bottom