What's new

Disc Cache Pops & Clicks - Cubase 10/11

M_Helder

Hi guys,

Here is to hoping to find someone more knowledgeable than me.

Most of my professional work is related to MIDI programming and mixing, however as of late I found myself dabbling in audio post-pro for films which suddenly led to a frustrating discovery (or maybe I just didn't notice it before?): every time I press 'Stop' or 'Play' on an audio clip in Cubase I get loud pops of sound cutting out.

This is not normal behaviour, right? Please, tell me it works fine on your system and it is not just another one of those 'Cubase features'?

Now I've been searching for the past 24 hours for the way to resolve this and so far nothing worked.
- changing ASIO settings
- increasing disk preload to 6s
- changing warp algorithms
- changing audio resolution
- deleting preferences
- testing both Cubase 10 & 11
- repairing my system HDD
- resetting PRAM and SMC

No change.

What I deduced: it is not CPU related, as there can be nothing loaded in the project AT ALL except for 1 audio track, and it is enough to reproduce this problem. However, as soon as I delete the audio track or load a VST instrument and record some MIDI - it works fine. So it is definitely disk streaming related, especially considering constant spikes on Stop/Play on the Disk Cache Meter.

I've recorded a short video to better illustrate the problem:

I am on Mac OS Mojave, iMac 27 with 64GB RAM +2 TB FD and 2 external SSDs.

By the way, it clicks and pops even if I stop and play from new position or just from the beginning of the clip.

See attached video below:

However, notice that the meter in Logic doesn't show any Disk Cache spikes at all.

Notice the Engine load in the top right corner spiking from 2-10% just from that action alone.

WTF.

Can anyone confirm or disprove this behaviour?
I'd be grateful for any ideas as it drives me completely nuts to hear clicks and pops EVERY SECOND.

Last edited:

henrymorris

Hi M_Helder. I'm having the same problems as you with Cubase 10.5 (latest update) and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro. I'm writing this now to keep in sync with you and see if you resolve this issue. As soon as I make some progress I'll post here.

OP
M_Helder

M_Helder

Hi M_Helder. I'm having the same problems as you with Cubase 10.5 (latest update) and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro. I'm writing this now to keep in sync with you and see if you resolve this issue. As soon as I make some progress I'll post here.
Hi Henry,

Thanks for reaching out. I've submitted a bug report to Steinberg.

Interestingly enough, the problem just disappeared for me suddenly. Couple days later and everything works ok. I have literally zero clue as to what might have caused it (or may cause it again the future).
Hopefully, just a glitch in the audio engine?

Let me know if you learn anything.

Best,
Mark

Top Bottom