1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling VEPro 6 Tracks

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by jononotbono, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I've been trying to figure out a few things about Disabling VEPro 6 Tracks and was wondering if anyone could clear a few things up. If, for example, you have one instance of Kontakt (Inside a VEPro 6 Tab), 16 Instrument Patches loaded Inside that Kontakt instance, and therefore have 1 Instrument Track and 15 Buses (total of 16 outputs) does Disabling any of the bus tracks do anything (like take the Samples out of RAM and less CPU usage)? It stands to reason in my mind that if I Disable the Instrument Track then all patches will be disabled and the buses won’t be anything more than buses? Hopefully I haven’t got that wrong...

What I am trying to figure out is how to have a Grid of named buttons on my iPad, using an App such as Lemur, Touch OSC or Metagrid, that when I press a specific button it will disable/enable the corresponding VEPro Tracks but not having to go into VEPro. I know I have to use VEPro automation but I’m not sure what I have to send from the iPad to disable/enable each track. I also wouldn’t want a button per Track in Cubase (2500+ at the minute) so need to figure out the most efficient way of using the iPad. Maybe it’s possible to set up an Enable/Disable button that not only Enables/Disables the Cubase Instrument/Midi Track but simulataneously does the same to the connected track in VEPro?

Just wondering if anyone is doing something like this with an iPad and would love to hear how you are doing this!

Jono

Pat Human likes this.
  2. resound

resound Senior Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have experimented with this a bit but I haven't got it fully set up in my template yet so hopefully someone else chimes in. I do know that you have can assign the enable/disable parameter to any CC, so you could control this from your iPad by sending CC values of 0 and 127. There is no global CC assignment, however, so you have to assign the automation to the CC on each VEPro instance which is kind of annoying. This is why I haven't had the time to get it fully set up, but I have tested it with my iPad and it worked. I don't use Cubase so I can't speak to that, but I imagine if it's possible to map Cubase's enable/disable to the same CC then you may be able to use the same button on your iPad. Then again, if you disable the instrument in VEPro I'm not sure there would be any reason to disable the track in Cubase as well.

3. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Yeah, Disabling the tracks in Cubase would be kind of pointless unless they are Instrument tracks and I only use Midi Tracks with Rack Instruments when it comes to anything connected with VEPro.

Something I am hoping will come with a Metagrid update is being able have buttons illuminate when you have pressed them so you basically know which tracks are enabled and disabled. No global assignment is a bit annoying as you say. It would be great to be able to disable whole VEPro tabs as well, for example, when you know you are not going to use any Brass instruments in a Cue so just want to hit one button and disable all Brass in VEPro.

4. oivind_rosvold

oivind_rosvold Senior Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Stjørdal
    Might not be new info to the discussion but it is visual info :) Check out Dirk Elhert's video on this here
    he starts talking about enabling and disabling from TouchOSC around the 26 minute mark (lots of other great tutorials also). When he clicks disable in TouchOSC he disables the instance in VEpro and hits the Mute hotkey in Cubase, i guess you can make it disable the track in Cubase as well for a different visual que. Also the tutorials from Mikhel Zilmer on https://www.youtube.com/user/mihkelzilmer/videos are great as they are specifically made with Cubase, VEpro 6 and Lemur in mind.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM
  5. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have watched a few of Dirk's videos so I'm sure there's some great stuff in there to learn!

6. de_signs

de_signs Dirk Ehlert

Apr 17, 2011
    Germany
    Thx for the mention @oivind_rosvold , this vid indeed adresses the exact same issues you're adressing desire. Nevertheless I've gotten a bunch of feedback and requests on that vid, so I'm currently preppin an in-depth look on how this is all set up eith touch osc and Vepro6

jononotbono and oivind_rosvold like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson