What's new

Dilemma...

mybadmemory

Doesn't BBCSO lack in dynamic range? Also how good is legato and stuff?

If 3DC likes Poledouris, Goldsmith and Morricone, I'd go with something like Cinematic Studio Strings, Brass and Woodwinds.
Well, the brass doesn’t go as brassy as some other libraries, at least not within the legato or longs patches. They do however have separate Quivre patches for that.

As for the rest of the library I actually think the opposite. The range from silent to loud seem much larger in BBCSO than in any other library I own.

It still doesn’t sound as “epic” as some alternatives but for the most part I really think that’s a matter of sound signature rather than dynamic range. :)

jaketanner

Composer cloud does NOT need to be downloaded entirely. You can download only what you need...half of the sounds in the CC are very specific, and I would not suggest downloading it all...besides will take you days to do it. Another drawback is that once you start using the sounds, you may be stuck having to subscribe all the time, OR buy the libraries outright. I would suggest BBCSO for orchestral work and add a few here and there if you want Epic.

AR1 is a good start also, but ensemble instruments only.

If you want good all in one starter library...look at VSL SE editions. Along with their BBO options for more epic work. Sound quality is top, and very usable. They say "starter" but really they are very professional versions of their bigger siblings...just not as feature rich and slightly less dynamics, but if you are starting out with a budget, it's a good option.

As for "film scoring"...you can score an entire film with Omnisphere if you wanted to...film scoring is not just orchestral at all...so I wouldn't categorize any of the libraries as "non" film scoring...

ChickenAndARoll

Composer cloud does NOT need to be downloaded entirely. You can download only what you need...half of the sounds in the CC are very specific, and I would not suggest downloading it all...besides will take you days to do it. Another drawback is that once you start using the sounds, you may be stuck having to subscribe all the time, OR buy the libraries outright. I would suggest BBCSO for orchestral work and add a few here and there if you want Epic.

AR1 is a good start also, but ensemble instruments only.

If you want good all in one starter library...look at VSL SE editions. Along with their BBO options for more epic work. Sound quality is top, and very usable. They say "starter" but really they are very professional versions of their bigger siblings...just not as feature rich and slightly less dynamics, but if you are starting out with a budget, it's a good option.

As for "film scoring"...you can score an entire film with Omnisphere if you wanted to...film scoring is not just orchestral at all...so I wouldn't categorize any of the libraries as "non" film scoring...
I totally agree with the VSL Special Editions. If I could start over, the first libraries I would buy would be the Synchron-ized Special Edition 1 and 1 Plus. The amount of stuff you get is incredible, in addition to the VSL quality.

Top Bottom