Digital piano for practicing classical piano

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Phillip996, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Phillip996

Phillip996 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Anyone know some high end models that feel as close to playing a real piano as possible? Tried to google things like "best digital piano", but end up only budget digital pianos for 400-500 dollars (Which is comparable to what I already have). The most important thing for me is that it fits well for classical music, and that what I practice can be translated to a real piano. I take piano lessons, and get a huge disconnect when playing a real piano, compared to what I practice on at home. It is hard for me to test things in a store, because the local store has a really limited selection of digital pianos (mostly the budget pianos)

2. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Kawai VPC1 is supposed to be great, if you want a controller.

For onboard sounds, I would look at the tri-sensor Yamaha and Kawai digital pianos.

3. vmishka

vmishka New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    The kind of high-end model you are looking for is a Yamaha AvantGrand (N1X, N3X) or possibly a Kawai Novus NV10 (I prefer the Yamaha, but there are lots of people who like the Kawai). The Digital piano forum on Piano World is a good online resource.

The Kawai VPC1 has a very heavy action (some people like it, I don't). Ravenworks Digital does a modified VPC1 with a much nicer action.

puremusic likes this.
  4. al_net77

al_net77 Active Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    In order, better first:

- real piano with silent system
    - Yamaha AvantGrand / Kawai Novus NV10 (matter of taste)
    - Casio GP (300-400-500) (hammer action, visible)
    - VPC1

5. OP
    OP
    Phillip996

Phillip996 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    The casio gp look really interesting, with real hammer mechanics and all (unfortunatley it is too big for me). But I should have been more specific. I need a stage sized piano, as I don't have space for an acoustic. If I had the space, I would have just bought an upright. So far, the kawai VPC1 and mp11 looks interesting, but would like to know if there are other options out there.

6. al_net77

al_net77 Active Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    Take a look at Yamaha P-515.

7. OP
    OP
    Phillip996

Phillip996 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I think they might have the P-515 at the local shop. How would you compare it against the VPC1/mp11?

8. danbo

danbo Member

Jun 14, 2018
    I've got a Yamaha concert grand action from my tech that I fitted with MIDI. Hard to find those though. Otherwise two Doepfer keyboards which I love (my main piano is a 6 3' grand)