What's new

Digital Performer 10.13 update?

You don't seem to know DP very well or you wouldn't write what you did. The program has leapt in the last couple of years.

This is about v10.13 so maybe, instead of insisting you are right about a program that you either don't use or don't use regularly, you should drop it. It is clear that you are unfamiliar with the last few years' developments and I am not interested in educating you about them.

I had to catch up on this thread after a busy few days but there's no way he uses DP extensively so was surprised to see the barrage of his posts and pretty much ignored all of them.

I've been similarly using DP for over 15 years but simply wish they'd change a few things...
  • A willingness to pursue more frequent patches to address bug fixes & minor improvements. In general, it seems they've only averaged one per year.
  • Just please, please, please...a complete overhaul of their Tracks window simply to improve visualization. The design & font/display has been the same for as long as I can remember and it definitely reminds me of interfaces designed by engineers, not UX designers, and is so outdated.
  • And this goes for every DAW...just publish Release Notes like any software company so users can read the log of changes outside of installers and understand the alterations. After almost a decade at a major software company, I can not begin to understand why music software companies don't do that...in MOTU's case, they literally could have copy pasted information they put in the installer and published it publicly.
Otherwise, I agree with your posts - this update was a great step forward.

A willingness to pursue more frequent patches to address bug fixes & minor improvements. In general, it seems they've only averaged one per year.

This! x 10000!

Sometimes the bugs are not insignificant and you have to live with them for far too long.

Thought this would be helpful to post for DP users and people thinking of getting DP:

Digital Performer 10.13 Read Me

Enhancements introduced in version 10.13

Enhancements and optimizations

• DP is now Notarized for Catalina.

• Moved the Play column in the chunks list to the left of the name.

• Updated AU, VST2 and VST3 wrappers to return parameter names from effect instances. Updated the "insert type" dialog in DP to get the correct parameter names. This allows VEP to return custom parameter names from each VEP instance (with the updated version of the MAS VEP plug-in from VSL).

• The QuickScribe cursor no longer disappears when in note insert mode. This fixes issues with tool palette selection when the tool palette is open over the score, and improves usability of mouse navigation while using insert mode in denser scores.

• QuickScribe cursor movement and navigation has been sped up, especially in denser projects.

• Addressed a performance bottleneck in projects with a large number of multi-port VIs and associated MIDI tracks (for example 30 VEP plug-ins, each with 48 MIDI ports, and each VEP plug-in with 16 associated MIDI tracks).

• Beat detection has been improved.

• Marker names can now be 255 characters long (instead of only 128).

• The Tracks Overview window will now always break phrases when a new meter event is encountered instead of only doing that in dynamic phrase breaks.

• Added optimizations to speed up scrubbing with audible mode enabled for sequences with large track counts.

• Changed the visibility of the inserts in the Sequence Editor from a per-sequence preference to a global preference.

• Added a preference to control the expanded state of the Clip Editor parameters pane.

• The Tracks Overview is now much more responsive when displaying lots of clips.

• DP is now more likely to be able to successfully open previously unreadable files.

• Double-clicking on names of instrument tracks in the Sequence Editor now opens the first editable insert.

• Improved the ability to open Format-1 Standard MIDI Files that are not compliant with the format specification (because of tempo, time signature, or SMPTE offset meta events in tracks other than the first one).

• Adding and removing tracks is now much faster in projects with large track counts and large numbers of virtual instruments with published MIDI ports.

• As requested by many users, we have restored the bite layering behavior from DP 9.52 that results from deleting samples from the middle of a soundbite (with the resulting earlier bite layered behind the later bite).

• Digital Performer no longer automatically sets sync ports when importing audio files.

• On Windows, DP now employs the system screen resolution setting to calibrate UI scaling so that 100% is reasonable and usable.

• Added shortcuts for scaling from 100% to 200% in 25% increments to the scaling window menu. Also added an advanced command for incrementing/decrementing UI scale by 5%.

• Changed the default Audition Volume for DP from -6 to -12 dB.

• Edits to data in MIDI tracks during playback will no longer mute currently sounding notes if the edits are reasonably far away from the playhead.

• Added a new MIDI Editing preference that allows pitch rulers to show note names on all pitch keys in the ruler. When enabled, if you zoom out the ruler (and the keys get narrow), note names will only appear on white keys. When this pref is disabled, note names only appear on octaves (C3, C4, etc)

• Improved the display of accidentals in MIDI note names, using the proper music notation symbols for sharp/flat. Improve readability, especially at higher vertical zoom levels, regardless of the horizontal zoom.

• When importing clippings, DP will attempt to resolve missing VI MIDI destinations referenced by imported Device Groups.

• DP no longer writes average tempos into soundfile metadata. This addresses issues where third party editing software may use the average tempo approximation to time-stretch sound files incorrectly.

• The splash screen now scales appropriately on Windows based on the system’s screen resolution setting.

This! x 10000!

Sometimes the bugs are not insignificant and you have to live with them for far too long.

I might be biased from other work experience but it's just bizarre to me.

I've been involved with software companies who have a larger internal user base than MOTU's consumer world and they release a dozen patches per quarter as compared to MOTU's infrequent release habits in a B2C world.

However, I do think all DAW developers in general - not just MOTU - need to adapt to patch more frequently in a way that targets deploying fixes that have very little chance to break existing project files, infrastructure and user experience. The iterative testing, release and user engagement would do far better for themselves and the broader user base than such infrequent releases.

I had to catch up on this thread after a busy few days but there's no way he uses DP extensively so was surprised to see the barrage of his posts and pretty much ignored all of them.

I've been similarly using DP for over 15 years but simply wish they'd change a few things...
  • A willingness to pursue more frequent patches to address bug fixes & minor improvements. In general, it seems they've only averaged one per year.
  • Just please, please, please...a complete overhaul of their Tracks window simply to improve visualization. The design & font/display has been the same for as long as I can remember and it definitely reminds me of interfaces designed by engineers, not UX designers, and is so outdated.
  • And this goes for every DAW...just publish Release Notes like any software company so users can read the log of changes outside of installers and understand the alterations. After almost a decade at a major software company, I can not begin to understand why music software companies don't do that...in MOTU's case, they literally could have copy pasted information they put in the installer and published it publicly.
Otherwise, I agree with your posts - this update was a great step forward.

This is cool that you ignored them, because this is exactly how people make well-weighted assumptions.👍

Just to add to my point - DP is outdated. This code is 30+ years old(its core at least). Tons of legacy features, tons of features that never got reworked from scratch(and it seems never will). The workflow is painfully slow compared to Cubase even, not to mention S1. If you worked in DP for decades, have all kinds of templates, presets and habits, you can work in it pretty productive. But same can be said about any other DAW. The point is to have advantage(faster and easier workflow with same features) besides of these things. And the only truly convincing selling point(for now) is all-around character of the DAW, which includes good multichannel and sound-to-picture workflows.

So, from long term perspective I don't see the point to use or recommend it to anyone as there are options with... brighter future and good enough present. If the guy doesn't it, there is nothing I can do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is cool that you ignored them, because this is exactly how people make well-weighted assumptions.👍

The points you have tried to make are falling on deaf ears since I, and many others as they've indicated, are not inclined to entertain meandering points.

A workflow is the sum of its parts, not specifically beholden to what one element - in the case you're describing, a piece of software - accomplishes as part of it. The workflow of composing doesn't by virtue of what it is, even require a DAW...so beyond the fact that you apparently like Cubase, it's off-topic from this thread.

Maybe you should complain to John Williams about the fact that he writes it all out by hand, then try to berate him about not composing enough music - it would be a better use of your time as far as I'm concerned.

MOTU has been hosting informative webinars for the past few months. If anyone wants to see good demonstrations of workflow and features. I don't recall anything about "scripts, actions, and tags" from the ones I have attended, but who knows? https://motu.com/en-us/products/software/dp/webinars/

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check them out.

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread specifically, but if people are interested in scripting-type workflow optimization with any DAW (or creative software in general) they should consider utilizing QuicKeys or Keyboard Maestro.

Most DAW workflow optimizations are situationally agnostic because the intended optimizations can generally be applied in any DAW with those third-party solutions. (Made me wonder why Faruh was ranting about just DP...)

My friends primarily working in music copying have been using those third-party solutions for as far back as I can remember.

I updated, wish I could say the same. Seems like one thing gets fixed, another gets broken. I cannot drag any folders in my Template project. I've reported it to Motu but I am loosing the will.

Sorry came to this rather late in the day. I've been using Performer/Digital Performer since 1985 and while it has its occasional problems I've never jumped ship (although I own and have used other DAWs including the first versions of PT!) as DP has always been ahead of the curve. ProTools even poached some of MOTU's MIDI techs around PT v4 to try to bring it up to DP's level. I guess people's experience will vary depending on how you use the software. One of DP's advantages is its customisability, but perhaps that can put some people off who may prefer simpler choices. It has been sample accurate far longer than any other DAW, and, as has been said before, the Chunks, Virtual Racks and synch features are essential godsends for scoring to picture (as Oscar-winning composers would testify). But Studio One for example might have more attractive features for other forms of music such as songwriting. Workflow is what you make of it. Btw I don't know how DP works on Windows but recently it has been stable on Mac.

I have been demoing it. It was nearly impossible to get started. Nothing made sense, nothing intuitive.

But after plugging away at it, it began to click and now it seems MORE logical to me than other DAWS, bc you are given endless options for your workflow.

Learning DAWS is like learning a new language. If you are a native Italian speaker (Studio One), then Spanish (Cubase) and French (Logic) are easier to pick up, whereas DP feels like Russian. But once you get it, its there and then you can evaluate the DAW on merits.

Chunks. VRacks. The choice between midi regions and clips. Sequence editor. Endless routing. Run Commands. The most customizable interface around.

Its a great DAW, even for new users, if you take time to learn it. I hope MOTU continues to improve stability and performance.

Reactions: bdr
I assume PreSonus decided to go with their Show Page in regard of "Live" performance.

And they actually can add fundamental changes to their software. I watched an interview with main devs of the DAW and they said that, developing Studio One, they've made sure they'll be able to add and change anything in the future(for example, when there is a new tech, method, standart, instrument etc. in the industry). Of course nobody can tell if they were telling the truth, but I don't see any reason not to trust them(why would they lie anyway...).
They were. It's called modular development. A programmer friend (who heads development of a banking app for a big national bank) of mine told me that. Modular development means you can work on one part of a piece of software without interference with code from another part of the software. At least, that's my simplified explanation of it. It's nothing new, but certainly newer than when Cubase and DP came on the market.

In order for these DAWs frameworks to be updated to such a modular environment requires a huge undertaking, almost a complete rewrite of the code. It can be done in steps, but it is a significant effort. It does, however, allow for much faster development. Hence why Studio One is being developed at such a lightning fast pace.

This is my underdeveloped takeaway from his explanation.

I have been demoing it. It was nearly impossible to get started. Nothing made sense, nothing intuitive.

But after plugging away at it, it began to click and now it seems MORE logical to me than other DAWS, bc you are given endless options for your workflow.

Learning DAWS is like learning a new language. If you are a native Italian speaker (Studio One), then Spanish (Cubase) and French (Logic) are easier to pick up, whereas DP feels like Russian. But once you get it, its there and then you can evaluate the DAW on merits.

Chunks. VRacks. The choice between midi regions and clips. Sequence editor. Endless routing. Run Commands. The most customizable interface around.

Its a great DAW, even for new users, if you take time to learn it. I hope MOTU continues to improve stability and performance.
How's interface performance on Windows these days? Because last I tried it, it was supersluggish on Windows.

Of course S1 is far from being as loaded as DP(as any other DAW compared to the beast like Digital Performer). And I think the fact that DP and Cubase are the oldest DAWs plays its role, too.

Also, it seems S1 goes in this "all around" direction. Beta testers were saying that 5th version will be all about scoring for picture(including multi channel audio support). So far it seems they didn't lie.
Honestly I don't even think it is that far behind. Many features are either simplified or implemented so seamlessly they don't seem like features. That's what I like about Studio One. It's a rethink of the old paradigm of DAWs.

I do have to say though, move it with the editable video Presonus!

Top Bottom