What's new

Digital Performer 10.13 update?

I'd try it on your computer, on my it's almost as stable or unstable as Studio One. It's usable, but Live and Bitwig never crashed on the samé laptop (I don' t remember Live crashing the last decade).

With the use of the arranger track they missed that goal by miles already. And I don't think that Presonus rewrites S1 from scratch now (with a clip launcher they'd at least have some sort of a way more usable arranger feature, so maybe they will implement that).

I assume PreSonus decided to go with their Show Page in regard of "Live" performance.

And they actually can add fundamental changes to their software. I watched an interview with main devs of the DAW and they said that, developing Studio One, they've made sure they'll be able to add and change anything in the future(for example, when there is a new tech, method, standart, instrument etc. in the industry). Of course nobody can tell if they were telling the truth, but I don't see any reason not to trust them(why would they lie anyway...).

Dude, DP is not "effectively almost dead".

Far from it, mate. ;)
Oh, man, I wish it was true. But for newcomers taking DP as an option makes no sense. It is still alive because of old school guys, who have built their entire studios and job in general around DP long time ago and they don't see the point to spend... I don't know, a month or two? - to switch. And people who are in between old school and newcomers also don't see why would they use this DAW as they come from other DAWs, which are much more intuitive and stable. Can you imagine someone going to DP after Studio One? The poor guy would've killed himself in a week or two.

Long story short, I wish nothing but the best for this DAW. It is truly a legend that created the biggest impact on music and sound production in the last 50 years. I would go as far as calling it a "penicillin of modern audio and music production". 😎

@Faruh Al-Baghdadi

What are you talking about? I have written about eight hours of orchestral music with DP in the last couple of years. It is stable. It is efficient. It does everything you could wish for when it comes to film, TV or game work.

I'm on a game project and a theatrical piece next.

It's fine if you prefer another DAW -- knock yourself out. Most people find the DAW they use "more intuitive" than alternatives; that's natural. Given its stability, its recently-added "Clips" feature, the "Chunks" feature which I think is still unique to DP, and its second-to-none tempo and timing tools, it is simply inaccurate to suggest that DP is weaker, overall, than the other DAWs.

@Faruh Al-Baghdadi

What are you talking about? I have written about eight hours of orchestral music with DP in the last couple of years. It is stable. It is efficient. It does everything you could wish for when it comes to film, TV or game work.

I'm on a game project and a theatrical piece next.

It's fine if you prefer another DAW -- knock yourself out. Most people find the DAW they use "more intuitive" than alternatives; that's natural. Given its stability, its recently-added "Clips" feature, the "Chunks" feature which I think is still unique to DP, and its second-to-none tempo and timing tools, it is simply inaccurate to suggest that DP is weaker, overall, than the other DAWs.

Well, I used it on Mac once, but then I switched to Windows and on the OS it is simply unusable.
Not sure about Mac - I always see mixed commenst on the issue.

But stability is not the main issue with Digital Performer. The workflow itself is pretty outdated. You have to make too much extra moves(compared to other DAWs) to get something done. Just try Studio One, for example. Try to work with their midi editor, with their routing and so on.

@Faruh Al-Baghdadi

Since you clearly don't use DP, you might consider avoiding blanket statements like that. Like (presumably) other DAWs, you can customise numerous operations into a single key, or a key switch combination.

There may be things that at first appear more efficient in other DAWs and, of course, each one has its focus. But DP is extremely customisable and has been for as long as I can remember.

No doubt there are areas for improvement in any software, but the latest version is absolutely ace.

How far in your case?
I own all major DAWs and quite some minor ones, too, and use 3 workstations and 2 laptops for music and software development.
All of them have crashed quite the same number of times on Mac and Win 10.

I really envy people who say that they never experienced a crash. I even have a Mac where you cannot use Studio One ... it will crash as soon as you open a project even though the project works fine on the computer right next to it. (I'm trying to give some perspective)

DP 10.11 worked as good as all the others on Mac and Win 10.
I have just installed DP 10.13, so I cannot comment on stability of that version.

@Faruh Al-Baghdadi

Since you clearly don't use DP, you might consider avoiding blanket statements like that. Like (presumably) other DAWs, you can customise numerous operations into a single key, or a key switch combination.

There may be things that at first appear more efficient in other DAWs and, of course, each one has its focus. But DP is extremely customisable and has been for as long as I can remember.

No doubt there are areas for improvement in any software, but the latest version is absolutely ace.

I used to use it alongside with Logic. It was long time ago. But like I said I used it on Windows a couple years ago and nothing has changed from workflow perspective. All those macros, scripts, actions, tags and so on, don't do the job as good as more modern options.
And ofcourse I can make "statements like that". I've the entire manual and tried to find reasons to keep using it. As you can see, I failed.

Man, if you like to use it, good for you. But I would never recomnd it to newcomers or anybody else, who never used it before for a long period of time.

Actually I prefer almost everything in DP to S1 (virtual racks, chunks, the clip launcher as a really good looper - and Polar already has been been great - DP's clippings, ...). My main problem is that it doesn't like some plugins on my computer like Engine (Best Service) and some other, minor ones (at least you can ). And that you always have to load Soundbites into the panel first is also a minor annoyance.

I would certainly not call the workflow of S1 something new or different to that of DP (or Logic or Cubase or Reaper or Cakewalk).
FL Studio, Reason and Ableton/Bitwig really have innovative and different ways to do things (I don't like the way Fl Studio or Reason work though ;).

I own all major DAWs and quite some minor ones, too, and use 3 workstations and 2 laptops for music and software development.
All of them have crashed quite the same number of times on Mac and Win 10.

I really envy people who say that they never experienced a crash. I even have a Mac where you cannot use Studio One ... it will crash as soon as you open a project even though the project works fine on the computer right next to it. (I'm trying to give some perspective)

DP 10.11 worked as good as all the others on Mac and Win 10.
I have just installed DP 10.13, so I cannot comment on stability of that version.

Yes, this is true that all DAWs have their problems in this regard. But with DP it was literally everyday. Literally. Like I said to a previous guy, I tried hard to convince myself to stay on the DAW, I've read 100s of not 1000s of pages of all kinds of forums looking for best set-ups and solutions for common problems, watched trillions of videos and, like I mentioned, I've read the manual, trying to find out what was wrong in my case. Every time it was something new - today it's certain plugin, tomorrow it is a synth, next day it's something else. I even update my computer completely just for this exact reason - to stay on DP. I even gave up on certain plugins, which were constantly crushing DP. It didn't help and I gave up.

Actually I prefer almost everything in DP to S1 (virtual racks, chunks, the clip launcher as a really good looper - and Polar already has been been great - DP's clippings, ...). My main problem is that it doesn't like some plugins on my computer like Engine (Best Service) and some other, minor ones (at least you can ). And that you always have to load Soundbites into the panel first is also a minor annoyance.

I would certainly not call the workflow of S1 something new or different to that of DP (or Logic or Cubase or Reaper or Cakewalk).
FL Studio, Reason and Ableton/Bitwig really have innovative and different ways to do things (I don't like the way Fl Studio or Reason work though ;).

Yeah, it's not new at all. Nobody claimed it. The point of S1's workflow is that they took "classic" and made it as simple and streamline as possible. This is the reason of its popularity - nothing revolutionary, just a better version of classics. And this is why it's so easy to swtich to the DAW.

You don't seem to know DP very well or you wouldn't write what you did. The program has leapt in the last couple of years.

This is about v10.13 so maybe, instead of insisting you are right about a program that you either don't use or don't use regularly, you should drop it. It is clear that you are unfamiliar with the last few years' developments and I am not interested in educating you about them.

You don't seem to know DP very well or you wouldn't write what you did. The program has leapt in the last couple of years.

This is about v10.13 so maybe, instead of insisting you are right about a program that you either don't use or don't use regularly, you should drop it. It is clear that you are unfamiliar with the last few years' developments and I am not interested in educating you about them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
S1 is fine if you are a hobbyist or just writing music that is not synced to picture. However, if you look at the A-list of film and tv composers they are primarily using DP, Logic and Cubase for a reason. S1 isn’t quite there yet, maybe it will be one day.

S1 is fine if you are a hobbyist or just writing music that is not synced to picture. However, if you look at the A-list of film and tv composers they are primarily using DP, Logic and Cubase for a reason. S1 isn’t quite there yet, maybe it will be one day.

Of course S1 is far from being as loaded as DP(as any other DAW compared to the beast like Digital Performer). And I think the fact that DP and Cubase are the oldest DAWs plays its role, too.

Also, it seems S1 goes in this "all around" direction. Beta testers were saying that 5th version will be all about scoring for picture(including multi channel audio support). So far it seems they didn't lie.

Yup. You can even find threads on the subject on this very forum. And of course in the rest of the web 😉

Well I'm very familiar with DP and I'm trying to think where I use "Macros , scripts, actions, tags". Please let me know as I'm interested in using these in DP. BTW macros, scripts and tags are part of many "modern" workflows.

Top Bottom