What's new

Digital distributors - recommendations ?

Fredeke

Hi. I'm looking for a digital distributor that would take care of everything, answer possible queries, and not rip me off when I'm not watching them closely.
I'm currently hesitating between CD Baby and Distrokid. Do you recommend any of these? Do you have other recommendations? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've had a good experience with Soundrop. Clear and intuitive account setup and upload/distribution process, and I get a monthly itemized report of all tracks streamed with a breakdown track name, play quantity, streaming platform & country.

I've had a good experience with Soundrop. Clear and intuitive account setup and upload/distribution process, and I get a monthly itemized report of all tracks streamed with a breakdown track name, play quantity, streaming platform & country.
They advertise cover-song distribution, seemingly exclusively. That's nice and could come in handy, but I suppose they distribute original works just as well?

They advertise cover-song distribution, seemingly exclusively. That's nice and could come in handy, but I suppose they distribute original works just as well?
Yeah, the emphasis on cover songs is a little misleading. I've released 5 albums of original material through them and all went smoothly. I also register each track with APRA-AMCOS (Australian Performing Rights Association)

Yeah, the emphasis on cover songs is a little misleading. I've released 5 albums of original material through them and all went smoothly. I also register each track with APRA-AMCOS (Australian Performing Rights Association)
Does Soundrop do publishing as well?

I have also released two albums with Soundrop.
I'd like to add that their support is awesome as well. Always got a response within less than a day (sometimes within minutes).

Reactions: CGR
I have also released two albums with Soundrop.
I'd like to add that their support is awesome as well. Always got a response within less than a day (sometimes within minutes).
Just having a listen now to your 'Andient Music' album. Nice work! Really liking the piano tone and the interesting percussive elements & ambient guitar washes :)

Just having a listen now to your 'Andient Music' album. Nice work! Really liking the piano tone and the interesting percussive elements & ambient guitar washes :)
Thanks for the kind words. Did you spot the real piano between the VIs?
Most of the ambient guitars heavily rely on Valhalla Supermassive.
Incidentally, I listened to your latest album last sunday morning (although it was probably made for bedtime) and noticed that you also have some guitars on this one. My wife liked it too (she always needs some calm music when I put on too much metal ;) )

I finally went with Amuse.io
They're by far the least expensive: even their full featured package (which I went for) is still cheaper than anything else.
Their upload form is clear and straightforward. Their genre menu is a bit short and rigid. Their support is responsive enough.
I think they're Spanish. I'm not sure, but the way they handle cover rights looks more European than American to me.
I'll report my experiences here.

Thanks for the kind words. Did you spot the real piano between the VIs?
Most of the ambient guitars heavily rely on Valhalla Supermassive.
Incidentally, I listened to your latest album last sunday morning (although it was probably made for bedtime) and noticed that you also have some guitars on this one. My wife liked it too (she always needs some calm music when I put on too much metal ;) )
Credit where it's due I say. Will listen in detail over the weekend and try to spot the acoustic. Valhalla Supermassive is great - it can add a huge ambience without muddying up the sound. Happy to hear you checked out 'Sleep Now'. Hope it works as a contrast to the Metal :)

I'll report my experiences here.
Looking forward to your report.
Did you find any info how amuse handles cover songs?
It seems that amuse free package ist hard to beat. 100% royalties at no costs. Soundrop takes 15%. But I made about $2 so far this year, so I don't really care ;)

Looking forward to your report.
Did you find any info how amuse handles cover songs?
It seems that amuse free package ist hard to beat. 100% royalties at no costs. Soundrop takes 15%. But I made about $2 so far this year, so I don't really care ;)
I'm not releasing a cover now, so I only glanced at it, and I may be wrong. But it seems you need permission from the IP holder, which 9 times out of 10 is just a formality, but still. It's the European way, while the American way has been more streamlined for the last 15 years, I think: just make a declaration, pay a fee, and that's all.

I am with CDBaby. I hesitated a lot when I had to choose but I like their no annual fee option. You just pay once for your single of album, and it remains as long as you want. On Distrokid there is annual fee. CDBaby is good but if you release a lot of tracks they become quite expensive

Amuse.io looks pretty good. Someone also recommended a https://www.songtradr.com/

Songtradr has some licensing opportunities as well, altough I would personally opt out those most of the time.

It’s hard to choose because within few years all these new services have been rising to surface. I am also trying to choose a relatively cheap option for my next single release.

Top Bottom