What's new

Designing this synth from scratch in Zebra2

quickbrownf0x

I had fun once. It was awful.
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get my synth programming/sound design chops up to speed, so picked out a few examples to emulate. Here's one;

I'm getting there, but my version's still too..... punchy and I can't seem to get that flanging, chorus effect right.
Some screenshots;

1.png

2.png

Thoughts? Much appreciated. :whistling:

Attachments

• radical_notion_zebra.mp3
    443.5 KB · Views: 77
I think the tone is pretty close, but it could have a little more bite to it. It sounds like the cutoff is being modulated a little. I also would dial back the reverb and instead turn the attack down to make it slightly less "punchy," then add a little chorus if it seems like it needs it. Don't forget to add some slow panning modulation too!

Hey Mike,

Thanks, that sounds pretty solid. By 'attack' you mean the (start of the) curves on the MSEG or the Env 1? I think the former, right?

This thing on paper looks and sounds deceivingly simple, but it did take me about 3 hours and about 8 coffee breaks and 12 stupid cat videos to get it to where it is now. Started off with just a blank sheet, so I don't know if that kind of time is normal, but yeah - I thought it'd be the bag in about half an hour. :unsure: Still a lot of fun, though. :dancer:

Anybody else have some cool suggestions?

I think the tone is pretty close, but it could have a little more bite to it. I also would dial back the reverb and instead turn the attack down to make it slightly less "punchy," then add a little chorus if it seems like it needs it. Don't forget add some slow panning modulation!

By attack I meant in the ADSR of Env1, but I see that how you've got it set up means you might want to tweak that in the MSEG, yeah. Not sure.

All right, tweaked it and it already sounds better. Thanks for the help!
I noticed you're from NYC, right? Hope you (and your family, etc.) are doing okay - stay safe, buddy!

By attack I meant in the ADSR of Env1, but I see that how you've got it set up means you might want to tweak that in the MSEG, yeah. Not sure.

Top Bottom