What's new

Delayed, Delayed, Delayed Bohemian Violin

I don't, but I do think it's one the best sounding virtual violins out there, so I might have to pick it up some day - which also answers your second question. I DO bother with solo strings, but I don't write with them if it's a piece that will some day be performed live, because I know that will severely limit my imagination - a piano and pen and paper are much better tools for that.
Interesting. Even though I don't really know how to play violin, I find it very inspiring to play the real thing.

...I DO bother with solo strings, but I don't write with them if it's a piece that will some day be performed live, because I know that will severely limit my imagination - a piano and pen and paper are much better tools for that.

Thanks for linking the video... I somehow missed it way back when.

(And I mean this as a huge compliment to the companies named - I think it’s absolutely amazing that a non string player like my self has access to even these tiny interesections with the vast possibilities of real players)

I bought into both Violin & Cello from the outset seeing the roadmap. Hadn't realised full dev would take this long and having never had any experience of the UVI player either I did not realise that the load times and general 'lag' in the GUI etc would make it harder than it should be to work with. Can't fault the sound or approach to the realism but my old(er) i7 rig running Reaper x64 doesn't get on with it at all (laggy when switching artics, long load times even off SSD etc.) whereas it has no issues with even the largest of Kontakt libraries.

Hoping we eventually get to a 'lite' and more nimble version of both but if I had known the timescale of development and crucially, what was around the corner from Kontakt based devs, I would have waited. Nothing wrong with early adoption/kickstarter type ideas but there is this inherent risk that delivery will be pushed back along the way.

I see there are people who are not happy about the delays.
I can understand that.

I'm one of the people who got the initial release (actually it was a christmas gift) and i've loved it ever since.
After the 1st expansion arrived i thought "extra stuff for free", not "where's the rest of stuff you promised" - so i was even happier. I only wished i had more free time to use it.

Stating it can be better is not a strong argument since this "complaint" can be applied to any product.

Are some omissions relevant to some people? Sure, but the product itself is in another league already, so maybe we could celebrate that fact too, not just criticize delays that i personally consider understandable, even if the Virharmonic guys are sometimes a little too optimistic about the release dates.

I'm 100% sure they're not deliberately lying to their customers. They're passionate people that are always aiming for the best they can deliver. Doesn't that deserve a round of applause? I think so.

Cheers.

I played violin in orchestras when I was very young. I would sound awful today if I tried to play a violin, but when I play any virtual string instrument, I instinctively feel how I would use the bow and exactly when I would play vibrato. That's ground into my unconscious from all those years of practice and performance.

I suppose I could use key switches to make the Bohemian violin play like I would, but I don't. I just play the melody on the keyboard.

It sounds like a violin to me, but it's the built-in performer, not 10-year-old me. As far as the bow goes, I often feel like the Bohemian violin is playing me rather than the other way around. It often changes bowing direction sooner than I would. But that's on me--it's capable of doing more.

I have not and will never create mockups of classical music on it. What I do is improvise and write my own music, and the music I write is for the performer to play. I don't feel overly harnessed by limitations.

What I like about the interview with Virharmonic Developer Ondrej Pochyly is the suggestion that the next expansion of BV will let me play it more in my own way, without key switches. Also, it seems like his number one goal is to have their libraries never be outdated.

I never mind waiting for a developer to be ready. Not with the Cinematic Studio Series and not with Virharmonic. Anyway, I love it as it is. Getting more is just a gift, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not for all you pro composers out there.

I think that Virharmonic might want to consider taking a page off of the Cinematic Studio Series's book and stop estimating release dates for the expansions, except in a very general way. Less information may be better. If more expansions come out in 2019, people will be delighted, just as they were when CSSS suddenly dropped.

Top Bottom