Deadwood - sample libraries

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Mr. Edinburgh, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Mr. Edinburgh

Mr. Edinburgh Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Following my education quest....

Deadwood (HBO Western Series)- what sample libraries would get one close to this?

Junkyard Percussion - Banjo Textures - Fiddle scrapes?

Any of you lovely people have any thoughts?

2. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Check here for a couple of fiddles (one just out, one forthcoming):

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/fiddle-for-americana-western.75835/

"Banjo textures" has got to be a limited world, and I don't even know how many banjo libraries there are in the world -- off the top of my head I only know of the RealiBanjo. If there were anything that would fit this bill, it would be something tonally along the lines of the old Spitfire LABS series, but I don't know if they every did a banjo. Maybe their Charango would work as a cheat?

Junkyard percussion libraries are all over the place, and they're usually pretty cheap -- e.g., Soundiron's Cathedral of Junk.

Anyway, good luck -- I love that theme, so I hope if you do a mockup you'll post back here!

Mr. Edinburgh likes this.
  3. oivind_rosvold

oivind_rosvold Active Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Mr. Edinburgh and Wally Garten like this.
  4. oivind_rosvold

oivind_rosvold Active Member

Nov 14, 2014
    also 40% discount on all 8dio stuff, if anyhting there was interesting, check out their frontpage for the discount code.

5. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Bolder Sounds has a very good banjo in addition to the recently released fiddle. You may also want to take a look at Insanity Samples Folk Fiddle, which (going by the demo) seems to have a harder-edged rosin-ish sound, to my ear at least.

8Dio's Misfits 3-String Diddley might be useful for layering plucked strings in the Deadwood theme as well.

6. OP
    OP
    Mr. Edinburgh

Mr. Edinburgh Member

Apr 4, 2018
    you guys are all so great - thanks

7. DDK

DDK Active Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I would love to hear more suggestions on the best metal/steel percussion/drums
    I know there is a lot out there
    Also who makes the best Harmonica for the western/cowboy style

8. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Chris Hein Guitars has Banjo at least best service sells this sperately. btw i dont know good it is i generally dont know much about this instrument.