What's new

DAW Versions

ArthurNeeman

This meaning can be applied to any DAW, but since I'm using Cubase I'm thinking this way - why the developers cannot release for example Cubase Millenia or another cool name and then year to year work on updates and number them 123, 145, 2194 etc?

In my viewpoint today we have a 5th generation of Cubase (correct me if I'm wrong), so to speak, many upgrades are only updates worth. But okay - company should get money. It's understandable! So they should change their income politics, not our budget planning. And we should not pay big money for one new plugin and some fresh air in existing lines of features that should be as integrated part from very beginning.

I just want to say this every year's race for upgrade is a little bit boring so not to say a bit stronger. For now I like version 10.5 of Cubase. I like new features that will come in version 11, but I know I can compose, mix and master my songs with Cubase 10. And I'm happy with that. Many can say - stay cool and work with the version you use.

But in other words I'm waiting for Cubase 11 just for one reason - to see how far I'm from truth. This version will be really worth to buy and wait for next version and use grace period. But this version 11 really looks good. I know it will be hard to wait for year for grace period :D (I didn't ever use this way of upgrade).

So let's talk about versioning, differences between upgrades and updates. Let developers and companies know composer needs!

Last edited:

shponglefan

Collector of sample libraries
why the developers cannot release for example Cubase Millenia or another cool name and then year to year work on updates and number them 123, 145, 2194 etc?

Personally, I prefer it when they stick to simple, logical numerical releases. When companies start using esoteric naming it can be difficult to know which release is current.

Just look at Microsoft's clusterfuck of a naming scheme for Windows. Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. I don't want DAW companies going that route...

OP
ArthurNeeman

ArthurNeeman

I don't want DAW companies going that route...
Okay, I understand you, but my thought was about stop making versions. It would be good to have simple product name and updates - this year 3 updates, last year 5 or more etc.

I mention Millenia not to replace numbers with names, but stop versioning ant stick to one version or one product with continuous updates. Yes, and updates could be for money. Of course in this way they should be without bugs.

So I see that updates are bugfixes and upgrades are versions. I could push you think that we (composers) should not take part to test product. We should use it to achieve the goals we have as target. That's the point.

Top Bottom