Votes: 2 2.1%
  • FL Studio

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been developing this list independently for a short while and I had Horner marked down as DP. I think that info was gathered from an interview with DP/30 on youtube. Will have to re-watch.

I had been developing this list independently for a short while and I had Horner marked down as DP. I think that info was gathered from an interview with DP/30 on youtube. Will have to re-watch.

I think Horner used DP years ago and ultimately gave up all this DAW-stuff and prefers pen and paper instead.. and according to AVID's commercial; Sibelius as well.

The tools of the trade are so good these days that you can't go wring with any one of them. I must admit that Steinberg is doing some really great things with cubase though DP still has some really strong film scoring tools. I personally love using the streamers and pops feature embedded into my QT vids. The chunks and v rack are also essential.

Re: DAW Users List

Hey - why can't we vote twice?

I use Ableton Live AND DP8 - can't say I would drop either of them and as far as "main" DAW, I would say both...

I use Ableton Live AND DP8 - can't say I would drop either of them and as far as "main" DAW, I would say both...

Some DAWS cater more to electronic genres and some have yet to be cross platform. At one time a Reason users also had a copy of Pro Tools to master their projects.

kitekrazy @ Wed 04 Dec said:

Some DAWS cater more to electronic genres and some have yet to be cross platform. At one time a Reason users also had a copy of Pro Tools to master their projects.

The list and the poll are intended to assist those starting out in the world of scoring. For the people who ask the question "Which DAW Should I Get?", "Logic or Cubase?". While you may personally recommend the use of two different software solutions in conjunction, unfortunately selecting two separate options in a poll does not indicate this, as each vote works like a tally, representing a single user per vote.
By all means use this comments section to detail your workflow, but the poll is a quick and easy insight into single DAW solutions that are used.

It is expected that most users on the list will use a second program such as ProTools for the final stages.

It is expected that most users on the list will use a second program such as ProTools for the final stages.

Perhaps we should ask that as well...I would love to know how many people use two DAWs (Primary Vs. Secondary) and what the Primary/Secondary are. (Is everyone using Pro Tools as a secondary?)

I find that the poll (as is) wouldn't really help me to decide on DAWs - for example, I bought and use DP8 after having used Sonar and Ableton. I wouldn't recommend DP8 as a first DAW, but it is a fine selection if you already have a lot of VST instruments/Effects and is a great "add-on" to Ableton, which (if you buy the suite) comes with so much. I find I don't use all that much of DP8's plug-ins.

As for certain DAWs catering to "Electronic Genres", I think that is "stereotyping" (if I can use that term without sounding harsh) - I thought the same for many years about Ableton (i.e. DJ program), but I think it has a unique workflow that does not work for all, but Daniel James (and at least one other forum member I know of) seem to do what I would consider "non-electronic work" with it.

BTW, "Electronic" musicians Autechre use DP:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/autechre.htm

:lol:

I was quite surprised to see Pro Tools get such a low count here. Perhaps it's mainly the history of Pro Tools and midi, but I came into this at the time of Pro Tools 9, so perhaps my first impressions were different to those who have been doing this much longer before PT got its midi act together. I'm currently on Pro Tools 11 and, with the 64 bit issue now sorted, totally loving it all round.

Danielo @ Fri 06 Dec said:
As for certain DAWs catering to "Electronic Genres", I think that is "stereotyping" (if I can use that term without sounding harsh) - I thought the same for many years about Ableton (i.e. DJ program), but I think it has a unique workflow that does not work for all, but Daniel James (and at least one other forum member I know of) seem to do what I would consider "non-electronic work" with it.

Fair point. Yet i think it is also fair to say that certain programs were in fact designed with electronic music in mind, ie. "catered for". For one, electronic music (in general) is much more loop based, has a strict and obvious structure, which Ableton obviously excels at more than other DAWs. It has synth filters in the forefront and as a big feature of the software. Lack of score editor etc.
This is not to say you cant do other things with it, but it is clearly "catered for" electronic genres, and a workflow common amongst electronic musicians - at least when compared to alternatives.

As for the poll not being very helpful, i see your point, and i considered adding a few dotpoints for each daw to differentiate them, but that information can be found elsewhere. This poll and list is to add just that little bit more info that might not be available anywhere else yet.

According to that sos article, Autechre used DP, Logic, AND Cubase! Maybe because at the time Ableton hadnt really taken off? :P

Only one other Studio One user? I love it with a passion. I've tried Cubase, Pro Tools and Ableton Live, but the workflow in S1 is unmatched :)

As for the poll not being very helpful, i see your point, and i considered adding a few dotpoints for each daw to differentiate them, but that information can be found elsewhere. This poll and list is to add just that little bit more info that might not be available anywhere else yet.

I was actually coming back to my post because (after some thought) I felt that saying that it "was not helpful" was a bit harsh on my part...it is very interesting, it's just that if I was convinced to buy DP8 based on the thread (without owning any other DAW) I would have been disappointed. I guess I would stress that you should do further research and "try before you buy" if possible (i.e. Demo NOT Pirate copy!!!!)

According to that sos article, Autechre used DP, Logic, AND Cubase! Maybe because at the time Ableton hadnt really taken off?

I believe there was a recent podcast where one of the members indicated that they use DP...I have no doubt that they use others as well (including, likely, Ableton).

I guess that was my point: in relationships I am monogamous - but when it comes to DAWs, NEVER!!! :lol:

Fair point. Yet i think it is also fair to say that certain programs were in fact designed with electronic music in mind, ie. "catered for". For one, electronic music (in general) is much more loop based, has a strict and obvious structure, which Ableton obviously excels at more than other DAWs. It has synth filters in the forefront and as a big feature of the software. Lack of score editor etc.
This is not to say you cant do other things with it, but it is clearly "catered for" electronic genres, and a workflow common amongst electronic musicians - at least when compared to alternatives.

I would give you that...definitely it is easier to be "experimental" with sound in Ableton than any other DAW I have used. It's unfortunate that Live doesn't always get the respect it deserves (you know "non-musicians use Live")...no doubt it has weaknesses (like any other DAW), but it's really a different workflow...believe it or not I had tried the lite version (off and on) for about a year before I got my head around the "non-liner" concepts and "saw the light". I guess I would not want any newcomers to be scared away from exploring it just because of how countless artists (i.e. DJs) use it...

I guess this proves it's not what you use but how you use it, DAWS are like clothes, some fit your style and some don't :) I've used Logic and Pro-Tools for a while but now I'm looking at the other side of the fence to see if the grass is greener, just finished up a 30 day with DP8 and I'm impressed with the features for spotting and putting together cues, but I find myself squinting alot at the main screen :wink: Now I'm off to try cubase for 30, and so far it seems intuitive, but doesn't seem to like my mac. Great idea for a poll!

newtonbach @ Sun 08 Dec said:
I guess this proves it's not what you use but how you use it...

Exactly!

Great idea for a poll!

Thank you. I was surprised that I couldn't find an already existing one on here. I guess it is a trivial issue to many, however I am certain that it interests a number of us also. (including myself)

I use Cubase but after I saw some videos with Logic I think the workflow is much better there but I cannot speak from experience and I cannot switch since I'm on Windows.

Cubase is so clumsy, you have to click a lot until you get somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom