Votes: 1 2.0%
  • FL Studio

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dcoscina

Re: DAW Users List

I guess this proves it's not what you use but how you use it, DAWS are like clothes, some fit your style and some don't :) I've used Logic and Pro-Tools for a while but now I'm looking at the other side of the fence to see if the grass is greener, just finished up a 30 day with DP8 and I'm impressed with the features for spotting and putting together cues, but I find myself squinting alot at the main screen :wink: Now I'm off to try cubase for 30, and so far it seems intuitive, but doesn't seem to like my mac. Great idea for a poll!
DP is terrific but yeah they could have improved their GUI with more scalable track size and fonts. It's still hard on my myopic eyes. Working in Cubase 7.5 is much nicer. Work flow is admittedly pretty simple but one thing I miss from DP is using key command to move the transport start to any bar I want. I cannot seem to find an equivalent in Cubase yet....

Absolutely LOVING the track versions in Cubase. one of the main draws of DP for me was being able to do various MIDI takes and patch them together. Really great idea.

Still dislike the notation editor in Cubase though. Its transcription still makes a mess when you first open up the editor. All those tied 32nd notes and I dislike the font they use. Hoping that Daniel Spreadbury and Sibelius crew make some inroads in this dept. Though I think they are working on a separate notation program...

JohnG

Although it may represent delusional nostalgia for a bygone era, I really put a lot of emphasis on the notation editing in my writing.

DP shines with its ability to place notes intelligently where they "really" go rather than where they were actually played (so that one doesn't get all these tiny-note-value rests, or spews of 32nd notes tied together as dcoscina mentioned). It works well.

DP lacks an articulations palette or otherwise one could use it to print parts that are complete and final. Even lacking this capability, though, it's still very good for printing parts and adding articulations by hand. At least if one is working with small groups or a couple of soloists, this is much faster than the "long way round" -- quantizing everything, importing to Finale or Sibelius and then fiddling around for hours with it.

Daryl

I use Cubase but after I saw some videos with Logic I think the workflow is much better there but I cannot speak from experience and I cannot switch since I'm on Windows.

Cubase is so clumsy, you have to click a lot until you get somewhere.
Maybe give some examples, because Cubase is more customisable than most other DAWs.

D

Daryl

Working in Cubase 7.5 is much nicer. Work flow is admittedly pretty simple but one thing I miss from DP is using key command to move the transport start to any bar I want. I cannot seem to find an equivalent in Cubase yet....
Shift P
Type bar number
Enter

Still dislike the notation editor in Cubase though. Its transcription still makes a mess when you first open up the editor. All those tied 32nd notes and I dislike the font they use.
Use a different display quantise.

D

Daryl

Although it may represent delusional nostalgia for a bygone era, I really put a lot of emphasis on the notation editing in my writing.
Nothing delusional about it. If you are writing proper orchestral music, it is the way to go. If you are just after that samply wall of sound, not so much.
DP shines with its ability to place notes intelligently where they "really" go rather than where they were actually played (so that one doesn't get all these tiny-note-value rests, or spews of 32nd notes tied together as dcoscina mentioned). It works well.
This is really not an issue in Cubase, as long as the display quantise is set up correctly. However it could be more intellegent.
DP lacks an articulations palette or otherwise one could use it to print parts that are complete and final. Even lacking this capability, though, it's still very good for printing parts and adding articulations by hand. At least if one is working with small groups or a couple of soloists, this is much faster than the "long way round" -- quantizing everything, importing to Finale or Sibelius and then fiddling around for hours with it.
The long way round is actually not that long. There are two options which save time; MusicXML Export or Score to MIDI, where what you see in the Score Editor is converted into a MIDI file.

For me the second of these is by far the most efficient, and even for a few parts it is quicker to import into Sibelius to add slurs, dynamics and articulations than sort it out in Nuendo.

D

Cruciform

Only one other Studio One user? I love it with a passion. I've tried Cubase, Pro Tools and Ableton Live, but the workflow in S1 is unmatched :)
There are plenty of S1 users around. Maybe they just don't have a nagging insecurity that they're using the 'wrong' DAW invoking them to respond to polls. :wink:

dcoscina

John I totally agree. Its Quickscribe might be bare bones but its transcription is second to none of any DAW I've seen (only Pro Tools 11 gets close, then Logic after that).

I have used Input Quantize or Page Quantize in Cubase and while that neatens things up a bit, it's still a lot of work compared to DP which automatically does it flawlessly. Cubase 7.5 is terrific, don't get me wrong, but notation ain't one of its strengths IMO.

woodsdenis

Only one other Studio One user? I love it with a passion. I've tried Cubase, Pro Tools and Ableton Live, but the workflow in S1 is unmatched :)
There are plenty of S1 users around. Maybe they just don't have a nagging insecurity that they're using the 'wrong' DAW invoking them to respond to polls. :wink:
We are leading the new wave Rob :D If any one is looking for a new DAW or even a first one Studio One is worth checking out, fully functioning demo AFAIK.

Will not do the picture syncing, tempo mapping that DP does, will not do the audio editing that PT does, but as a workflow gem its fantastic. I mix 90% of instrumental cues on it, more complex automation laden stuff it PT all the way. But then again some of its automation stuff is streets ahead of PT.

Daniel James

A Nice Guy
Only just seen this lol! All about the Ableton Live over here :) if I had the patience to DAW switch I would goto Cubase but I am sure you have all tried before, and discovered you sneak back to what you are best with when in a pinch :)

-DJ

mark812

I'm going switch to S1 from Cubase as soon as it catches up with Cubase's MIDI capabilities. Such a promising DAW.

ETMuz

I was quite surprised to see Pro Tools get such a low count here. Perhaps it's mainly the history of Pro Tools and midi, but I came into this at the time of Pro Tools 9, so perhaps my first impressions were different to those who have been doing this much longer before PT got its midi act together. I'm currently on Pro Tools 11 and, with the 64 bit issue now sorted, totally loving it all round.

Pro tools user here(PT10HD), and I too was surprised to see such a low count. I came into this DAW world on PT10 and with midi work it seems fine to me. I have wondered about Cubase before, but I'm content here on PT.
I'm thinking of moving up to 64(PT11). What issues were you referring to to have to wait to be resolved?

apessino

There are several features in Cubase that I feel I could not live without - most of all Expression Maps, of course. I could never, ever, EVER give them up.

Ever. :D

I get the feeling I am not alone on that, so here is a question: did Steinberg patent that functionality? Because if they didn't why isn't everyone else cloning them, like, yesterday? They have been around since Cubase 5, it is certainly not all that difficult to add to any DAW... The Expression Map editor in Cubase is all kinds of basic, even, someone could take that idea and really run with it.

Does anyone know?

shapeshifter00

There are several features in Cubase that I feel I could not live without - most of all Expression Maps, of course. I could never, ever, EVER give them up.

Ever. :D

I get the feeling I am not alone on that, so here is a question: did Steinberg patent that functionality? Because if they didn't why isn't everyone else cloning them, like, yesterday? They have been around since Cubase 5, it is certainly not all that difficult to add to any DAW... The Expression Map editor in Cubase is all kinds of basic, even, someone could take that idea and really run with it.

Does anyone know?
I tried to do expression maps, if that is the feature that makes you assign key switches into the midi editor so you can choose between different articulation visually with name instead of it being seen in the piano roll as c#1 etc.
I never manage to get it work... How does the expression map really work in practice? And is it worth to learn it well? :)

Daryl

AFAIK VST Expression is part of the VST SDK, so other VST developers could implement them if they chose to do so.

D

TimJohnson

Just moved to Cubase from Logic and don't regret it in the slightest. Lots of my close friends are jumping ship from Logic to Cubase or DP for one reason or another.

I also happen to know that Guy Michelmore is in the process of switching from DP to Cubase. We just set up his colossal template for him to get cracking with it!

OP
Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1

TimJohnson @ Thu 14 Aug said:
I also happen to know that Guy Michelmore is in the process of switching from DP to Cubase. We just set up his colossal template for him to get cracking with it!
Wow! I thought that once you're happy in DP, there was no reason to change. DP wins with markers, streamers, and potentially chunks and V-racks if that's your thing. I'm very interested in the reasons for changing.
But, we all know it's for the best. :P

Waywyn

Just seeing this list right now.

John Williams, Mike Verta and me are the only people who didn't need to be mentioned for credits. I see this as an honor! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OP
Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1

Waywyn @ Thu 21 Aug said:
Just seeing this list right now.

John Williams, Mike Verta and me are the only people who didn't need to be mentioned for credits. I see this as an honor! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The three of you need no introduction! :)