What's new

DAW Performance Test Results

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

Well don’t use that big of a buffer of course! It’s all relative. The point of this test was to compare daws, not to see what my system is capable of. I would expect to see worse cpu performance as you lower the buffer setting. I reckon the daws would compare about the same to each other regardless of the buffer setting but it would be an interesting test to rerun all the tests on all the daws with lower buffer size to see, unfortunately I’m burned out on running the tests so I leave that to someone else to try

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
This is a great read.

Coincidentally, the 3 Windows based DAWs I have settled in with are,

Studio One Pro, Cubase Pro, and Reaper.

I feel your pain about Reaper.

I've had it for years and never bonded with it.

Until recently I fired it up with a Logic theme.

Now Reaper is the first DAW i reach for - as i mentioned in another thread, I've always suffered from Logic-Envy.

Thanks for all the work.

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
So, is the Reaper Performance Meter not telling the full story?

What are the Reaper Heads saying about these results?

Their huge push for Reaper being the end-all DAW was always performance over other DAWs.

This flies in the face of that.

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

The cpu results are being obtained at the system level, not within the daws themselves. They show the average overall cpu performance happening while playing back the exact same vsl-based project for 3 minutes and getting the average cpu across all cores every 3 seconds.

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

And yes, at least on Mac reaper did not compare well but it’s also possible that there are performance settings in reaper that I need to learn about.

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
FWIW, i noticed a significant "apparent" CPU improvement with Studio One 4.5 over the previous 4.1.1 (i think).

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

New test added for Reaper5 without VEP. slighter better performance without VEP this time. I presume this is because of Reaper's render-ahead. DP is the other daw that also performs slightly better without VEP, which also has their "pregen" render-ahead technology. See original post for details

Top Bottom