Daw controller with faders for a composer

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Mikko Heininen, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
    I was so excited when I bought one, only to discover I can't do any Midi with it. Quickly sold it. Just bought a Behringer X-Touch Compact (That should do Midi !!)

synthpunk likes this.
  2. Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
  3. OP
    OP
    Mikko Heininen

Mikko Heininen New Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Ended up ordering the FADERCTRL. Can't wait! :)

soundmind and synthpunk like this.
  4. Gordon_hiphoplp

Gordon_hiphoplp I am a visionary and doer...

Oct 3, 2017
    New delhi, India
    Well here are couple of options to control midi cc with hardware controllers..
    1. Berhinger bcf2000 or berhinger x touch compact
    2. Novation xl control and zero control sl
    3. Nectar p1
    4. Korg nano studio and nano kontrol
    5. Fader control that is custom made you can order it her on this forum
    6. Fader master jl cooper’s(way too costly)
    7.Modular control system( its new made by company called pallette i think and they are quite portable too)
    8. Livid does provide custom build controllers
    9. Ipad with apps like touch osc or lemur
    10. Expression pedal if you have mod wheel on your keyboard then you can use expression for cc11 ( though i feel you want to control it with your fingers anyways...)

I am not sure about icon’s m control as its more of a daw controller and dont know if it can be used as a midi controller also people here are saying its mapping software is window only, you need to do some research on it...

Also avid’s artist control are strictly meant for mixing stuff and they are not wise choice for only controlling midi information considering there price and ease of use and i dont think you can control midi cc with them either apart from cubase...

Anyways good luck with your composing... cheers!!!

Josh Richman likes this.
  5. URL

URL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Artic C
  6. Gordon_hiphoplp

Oct 3, 2017
    New delhi, India
    No idea but it would be great if somebody can put some light on icon controllers for controlling midi cc info...

7. URL

URL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Artic C
    According to Sound Service GmbH, Icon X + works with, for example, Cb9 and can handle CC via Mackie protocol.
    And it is a nice price.

Answer from Sound Service regarding win 10/CB9.
    Platform X+ is compatible with Windows 10 and Cubase 9 and operates with standard MIDI CC values and uses Mackie Control Protocol. The included iMap software allows custom remapping of MIDI functions in addition to what is possible within Cubase.

8. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    I bought an Icon Platform M not long ago. Was not impressed with the build quality or QC...several of the push buttons had different knobs, which resulted in them not sending any data. Returned it to the retailer. Bought a Behringer X-Touch Compact which is streets ahead in build quality. If you buy an Icon, make sure it's returnable. Both suffer from no support for their editors if you are using a Mac.

Josh Richman likes this.
  9. URL

URL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Artic C
    the Icon M,X+ is a updated version...maybe this new version is better....?

10. khollister

khollister Senior Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Florida
    The Behringer BCF-2000 is discontinued as is (I believe) the original JL Cooper Fademaster. There is a newer Fademaster Pro, but it is $999(!).

11. mc_deli

mc_deli n trepreneur

Feb 22, 2015
    Akai MPD series. 60mm faders. Really good software editor.

12. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I got the Akai MPD 232 6+ months ago, and I really like it
    http://www.akaipro.com/products/pad-controllers/mpd-232

Faders are smooth and there are three banks of 8. There are also pots and buttons. Everything programmable with software that works.

Drum pads are excellent and very sensitive. Also fully programmable. 4 banks.

I have not gotten the transport section to work with Sonar, but I haven't spent much time on it.

mc_deli likes this.
  13. Josh Richman

Feb 25, 2017
    Exactly! Looked nice, build quality was good (metal surface). But, no midi so I returned it.

14. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    They just came out with a Faderport 16 today, still no mention of Midi CC's, odd.

15. Josh Richman

Feb 25, 2017
    Behringer X-Touch Compact

Go for about $300. Pretty good price point.

16. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    yep, thats a good one, does Midi CC mode as well although I'm not sure if the motorized function can be turned off ?

17. Gordon_hiphoplp

Oct 3, 2017
    New delhi, India
    Unfortunately xtouch compact is not available in india...

18. s_bettinzana

s_bettinzana Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Hello!
    I want to inform you that my company (www.deviltechnologies.com) is updating one of our SW application (DFader).
    After the update, you will be able to send MIDIcc from any HUI or Mackie-Control-Protocol compatible controller. In other words, it will act as a HUI/Mackie_Control - MIDIcc smart bridge.
    DFader does more, but this new feature could be of interest for you.

Silvano

19. Gordon_hiphoplp

Oct 3, 2017
    New delhi, India
    Hi silvano, thanks for sharing pls let me know once that’s available it would be awesome, cheers!!!

20. s_bettinzana

s_bettinzana Member

Mar 26, 2016
    We already have a beta on our web-site for Windows. This only support one fader (it was developed for a beta tester with a FaderPort).
    Our guys are working on an update for both Windows and OS-X which supports many faders (till 32) with an extensive presets system. Usually, they are very fast, days ... not weeks!