David Healey's sample library building livestreams

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by d.healey, Nov 2, 2018.

Are you interested in seeing a sample library creation livestream?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    I've been thinking of doing some livestreams demonstrating how I edit samples and build instruments in HISE (I can show some stuff in Kontakt too) and I'm just wanting a show of hands to see if there is enough interest to make it worth doing.

I'd be covering topics like recording and editing samples, noise removal, tuning, release triggers, scripting, etc. But the main idea is I'll start with something and let your questions and comments guide the show.

So is this something you'd be interested in seeing?

JC_, PaulBrimstone, Levitanus and 3 others like this.
  2. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    Hello @d.healey ! I am interested. A contribution to your idea could be to make it in layers or steps or phases:

Beginners - simplest steps:
    1. import samples (without editing or already pre-edited)
    2. mapping/scripting
    3. export instrument (AU, VST)
    4. ready

then going ahead to more complex steps like you have already said...
    then Intermediate (tunning, looping...), and somewhere in the future Advanced (sound design, transition-legato samples triggering, effects, signal routing, etc.)...

Congrats to your spirit of sharing knowledge and thank you :2thumbs:

d.healey likes this.
  3. MA-Simon

MA-Simon Senior Member

Jul 23, 2011
    That would be a whole lot of tutorial though.

The advantage of a work-livestream is that you can just... work. I do watch 3D and Substance Stream sometimes while working. It's nice!

JEPA likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    Yes this is more what I was thinking of. I probably should have said but I won't be charging for the live streams and it won't be an instructional course like I've done in the past. It will be much more casual.

5. Tod

Tod Senior Member

I'd like to be involved David, but I'm wondering if there will be a conflict with the time zones? I see your here now, or you were 30 minutes ago, it's nearly 4:00PM here. :)

6. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    Well I guess if it's on a weekend we can find a time that would suit most people. I rather stream in the evening here so I think that would work out okay.

7. Tod

Tod Senior Member

Well if you did it around this time of the day, give or take, it would be okay.

I voted yes, so regardless hopefully I can catch it. :sneaky:

d.healey likes this.
  8. Levitanus

Levitanus Senior Member

Very good idea))
    I'm making something (offline) too. But not a course. Some sort of sample-world likbez for mocapers))
    P.S. attach a link after all. I have performances today and tomorrow, can't watch.

9. pbattersby

pbattersby Senior Member

Jul 6, 2016
    I'd definitely be interested in watching a detailed video on using HISE to create instruments. I've been wondering what I could do with my .sfz based library with HISE scripting instead. So a video seeing someone using HISE in real time to build an instrument would be interesting to me though I likely wouldn't watch it live, I'd wait for it to be posted and watch it later.

d.healey likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    There seems to be enough interest to make this worthwhile. How does this Saturday suit everyone? I was thinking of sometime in the evening UK time, maybe around 7pm.

11. scottbuckley

scottbuckley Senior Member

Cool! I'd be into it. What platform are you using for the livestreaming? e.g. YouTube, Twitch etc..-

12. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    No idea yet, I've never done it before! I tested YouTube last night but I could only get it to detect my webcam, if I can stream my desktop to it then I'll use YouTube, if not it will be some other service, possibly Twitch.

13. scottbuckley

scottbuckley Senior Member

Cool! Both YT and Twitch are easy to use. I might also recommend trying out streaming software like OBS (free software), which has a lot of functionality built in for live streaming, such as setting up webcams and showing desktops all in the same window. Could be handy? :)

https://obsproject.com/
    https://streamlabs.com/ (OBS, but even more functionality)

14. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    I use OBS for screen capture, I hadn't heard of the streamlabs fork, I'll check that out!

Edit: Seems they only provide a Windows binary unfortunately and I can't be bothered building it myself, I'll stick with OBS for now :)

scottbuckley likes this.
  15. Tod

Tod Senior Member

Sounds good David, can you tell me what time (your time) you posted the post, just above this one.

16. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    The time stamp shows 12:04pm for me which sounds about right.

And I've just been doing some tests with OBS and YouTube and I like it so I will be streaming on YouTube.

17. Tod

Tod Senior Member

Okay, I think that makes your 7:00PM to be about my 2:00PM, heh heh, I think. :)

d.healey likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    Here's the link for the stream, see you on Saturday (7pm UK) :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Anders Wall likes this.
  19. Will Blackburn

Will Blackburn Senior Member

Oct 28, 2012
    London
    When are you doing it david (uk time)? Also can't follow you via that video there are no forwarding links in it.

20. OP
    OP
    d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
    Oops I forgot to make the link public! I've updated the post above with the time.

Will Blackburn likes this.