What's new

Darkest soundtrack/theme?

Cliff Eidelman's opening credits theme for Star Trek 6, saw this with my dad when it came out and it still gives me goosebumps!

I spoke with composer George Fenton a few years back, and he told me they rejected his score for Interview With The Vampire because it was too dark (I recall the Elliot Goldenthal score wasn't exactly light), would love to hear the rejected version.

I always found some of Paul Zaza's horror work pretty dark, he's great at doing creepy things with Glissandos.

There are so many "dark" type scores. Having burned out of writting too many horror film scores, I'd like to try my hand at dark urban and dark urban apocalyptic films.

Some of my favorites in that genre are:

But my all time Favorite is not in that Genre:

Don't discount some good old fashioned ponderous organ music for chordal/textural inspiration too, you can get most of the scores for free on imslp.org. As far as composers go, Reger wrote a lot of dark stuff. Also the Liszt Ad Nos Ad Salutarem Undam and Reubke's Sonata on the 94th Psalm are some of the darkest and heaviest (and longest) pieces of music known to man.

That said, Heally Willan might take the cake with his Introduction, Passacaglia, and Fugue:

Best,
Nathan

Here's another game soundtrack: Pathologic 2.
I find the amount of darkness is just right, so that it's pretty gloomy, yet beautiful and pleasant to listen to.

Top Bottom