What's new

Dark Matter vs Dark Matter 2

Well, Dark Matter 2 contains all the samples from Dark Matter 1 plus about 15gb of new samples and a better engine. So yes DM2 is better than DM1. That beings said, I like a lot of the presets better from Dark Matter 1 (plus the ones I made) so I’m glad I have both.
Also, DM2 has 6 layers while DM1 has 4.

I am very interested observer, and remain perplexed. I am well pleased with LIGHTless /DARKless, but a bit concerned about powerful, yet unknown Dark Matter /Alchemist GUI. Sad to hear that DM2 Presets are not 'all' of DM1 plus new DM2.
Concerns over new (for me) GUI would be helped by having all possible Presets to use as baseline.

Perhaps String Audio would provide these on request ?

Sad to hear that DM2 Presets are not 'all' of DM1 plus new DM2.
Concerns over new (for me) GUI would be helped by having all possible Presets to use as baseline.

Perhaps String Audio would provide these on request ?
This is indeed what they did with the new Alchemist Cinematic Textures 2. It comes with two versions, One has the old presets, and the other one is all new. The issue I think is that Dark Matter 1 snapshots are not compatible with the newer engine. It’s not a big deal really. I just made a lot of presets with Dark Matter 1 so it’s nice to have it around. If I was just starting out, I would be just fine with Dark Matter 2 and Alchemist 2. You really miss nothing (other than the original DM1 presets) and gain a hell of a lot more. Any sound that was made with DM1 could be made with DM2. I also have Lightless and Darkless and they are very cool, but much prefer the possibilities with the GUI in the Kontakt libraries. Plus it’s so easy to start with a random patch and tweak it. Great stuff!

This is indeed what they did with the new Alchemist Cinematic Textures 2. It comes with two versions, One has the old presets, and the other one is all new. The issue I think is that Dark Matter 1 snapshots are not compatible with the newer engine. It’s not a big deal really. I just made a lot of presets with Dark Matter 1 so it’s nice to have it around. If I was just starting out, I would be just fine with Dark Matter 2 and Alchemist 2. You really miss nothing (other than the original DM1 presets) and gain a hell of a lot more. Any sound that was made with DM1 could be made with DM2. I also have Lightless and Darkless and they are very cool, but much prefer the possibilities with the GUI in the Kontakt libraries. Plus it’s so easy to start with a random patch and tweak it. Great stuff!

THX! Spaced out the 'new' engine factor, which makes complete sense.
Really need to jump in the pool with ACT2 or DM2 and start learning /enjoying.

I wouldn't be sad about some missing DM 1 presets in DM 2. You can make (and should!) your own sounds easily! Think about the randomize function. <3

Only problem is that several patches are glitchy. I'm getting crazy CPU spikes! Any fix for this?

Last edited:
Only problem is that several patches are glitchy. I'm getting crazy CPU spikes! Any fix for this?
Have you tried a batch re-save?
Don’t. Unless you know how. But that might do it.
Still, six convolution engines requires a bit of power but I’ve never had any issues. Not a big cpu hog on my system. In fact, I kicked the default voices up to 128 with no problems or issues.

I honestly don't think a I downloaded/stalled this properly. There are a couple of other things that seem a bit off. I'm going to re-install it.

Glad to hear that no one else is having problems with it!

Top Bottom