What's new

Dark Horse copyright infringement -- what do you think?

JohnG

What do you think?

I don't know the two songs well enough to have an opinion but I'm afraid for anyone writing in an established style. Blues, 4/4 rock, even hymns. Pretty tough to avoid every piece ever written.

I am very sad about that,.. she is still my idol.
I believe her when she said don't ever listen previous song before. Now I am afraid writing my new song. :speechless:

There's IMO only one element of the backing track which sounds similar, the rest sounds nothing like the other. I think the verdict is ridiculous. This would mean a similar (repetitive, even nothing ingenious or special) motive in one instrument line could prove a disaster.

My first question when I saw this a couple of days ago was - at the risk of sounding like I-1's pitch for his not having raped a woman he clearly did rape - why Katy Perry would even need to copy that crap.

It's like an artist suing another artist for drawing some circles and lines. You can't own the fundamentals. A song will always remind someone of another song, especially when we're talking about very minimal music based on the most common, popular foundations. Popular genres are built on tried-and-true clichés, so of course you can find hundreds and thousands of songs with the same rhythms, sounds, chord progressions, and simple melodic ideas. These things are so basic that mere probability guarantees they pop up repeatedly. The idea that it takes plagiarism to arrive at something like the "Dark Horse" beat for producers at that level is utterly ridiculous.

It's the sounding kind of alike versus exact copy that is a problem. Music that sells always sounds kind of alike in some ways. But when you start comparing a musical melody with a rap song with no real words in common? And say it is an exact copy because they you played an A here and used the word The over here. This is a problem. i didn't really see the blurred lines/Marvin Gaye thing either. Its starting to be very annoying.

i didn't really see the blurred lines/Marvin Gaye thing either. Its starting to be very annoying.

Musically I didn't agree on the merits of the Blurred Lines either, regarding the narrow issue of "is it a copy?"

However, if I remember accurately, it was a jury trial, and I think they erred fatally when they freely admitted copying the feel and vibe of the song. They seemed to think because it was done in a drunken stupor that would make it ok.

To the jury, that is a "copy," even if, to a musicologist (or even a bar band singer), it's not.

Last edited:
I was a little surprised when I saw the story. I do Listen to Flame and I believe it may be Lecrae rappin on the song as well. I don't listen to that song of Flame in particular, but do like him as an artist, and have an earlier album. I was just surprised to see Flame a faith-based artist, who is good IMO but a fish in a musical ocean going up against a whale of an artist like Katy Perry. I wonder how it all came about.

Top Bottom