Danny Elfman Masterclass

chocobitz825

because he has assistants that know all the fancy stuff the forum does

if all you had to do was a.) make a sketch on xyz notation or b.) mock up said notation or c.) mix/master a mockup

your life would be easy
no, the part where he says that virtual instruments will never suffice, and that creative people can find a way even with a limited budget/resources for real instruments.

ProfoundSilence

no, the part where he says that virtual instruments will never suffice, and that creative people can find a way even with a limited budget/resources for real instruments.
*rolls eyes*

except nobody pays you, random composer 134,467 any attention unless you have $$.

on a limited budget, you're vastly better off buying sample libraries to get gigs going. His entry into the industry is 99% irrelevant to today's climate. Him and Zimmer came from the pop industry, rather than working composers.

so if you want to be a singer/songwriter to build a career to switch to orchestral work, by all means go decades out of your way.

DJ/gleckmans advice is probably much more useful/relevant, barring they might be "smart" about what they say given they dont want to burn bridges with the old guard.

verta's advice about just going drinking in LA is probably going to beat out advice from someone as remarkably unconventional as elfman's entry into the field

edit: not to knock elfman, but he is completely disconnected from the reality the other 99.9% of this forum is going to deal with. Hes going to have useful information, but I wouldn't take his advice on getting your foot in the door.

Last edited:

KallumS

I can see where he's coming from to a degree - instead of buying VIs you could spend that money on a violin, cello, viola and double bass and record those. But why would anyway do that when you could simply buy the packaged version?

If you wanted a real orchestra you could save up, but why would you when VIs are much cheaper and can be used for multiple projects?

Sure there are people that sample everything and don't use VSTs but that will give you that kind of sound, whereas you might want the kind of sound that only VIs can give you.

I think the best compromise is to use VIs for smaller projects and pay for an orchestra for bigger ones. You could use VIs to mockup the piece for the real orchestra, they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Perhaps you could mix VIs with the recording of the real orchestra, a la Hans Zimmer.

Last edited:

chocobitz825

Don’t kill the messenger. That was his point. That you’ll never get the warmth out of samples. He does his mockup with VIs but he calls out “75% of composers” who take the easy route by using VI in the final product. If I recall correctly he said that even on a small budget, you should be able to make something work with even fewer players if necessary.

Yeah, could be a detached stance or just him not understanding the privilege given from his name and position. Though he could be right. Maybe better composers find a way and lose nothing from it.

Oliver

I had an Elfman masterclass in vienna two years ago and it was very inspiring. Very nice guy, very thoughtful, very good tips. we talked around 4 hours with him and i even get some nice photos with him.
so no need to book a videoclass with him ;)

I attented a Hans Zimmer masterclass last year in vienna, well...
i was not very happy, lets put it this way.
But Hans is a charming guy, and a real Hollywood star ;)

Reactions: AEF

Mornats

Ok, so on my mobile and my home PC I only get the £199 a year / £19.99 monthly with no option for a single class (see my screenshot above).

On my work PC I get the option of a single class for £85 but the monthly fee is £14.17 a month and is billed annually at £170 a year. No month-to-month option here. It's all a bit weird!

masterclass.jpg

Jaap

Yes, that's an alto flute
Ok, so on my mobile and my home PC I only get the £199 a year / £19.99 monthly with no option for a single class (see my screenshot above).

On my work PC I get the option of a single class for £85 but the monthly fee is £14.17 a month and is billed annually at £170 a year. No month-to-month option here. It's all a bit weird!

View attachment 23734
Bit the same here, on my work pc I only have the option for the all access pass as the single class is greyed out, but after seeing your post I downloaded the app on my phone and I also get the option for a single class. Would love to see the monthly paying option, but maybe that's only for the US?
Very nice that Elfman is also now in the Masterclass, looking forward to it!

Mornats

Well, I browsed around a couple of the articles on their site and now my work PC (same one I took the screenshot a couple of posts up on) now shows this:

masterclass2.jpg

Something very dodgy is going on with their pricing. That pricing change was even in the same session in my browser.

Mornats

It's back to £19.99 a month, paid monthly on my phone now. Half price for using Firefox! But seriously, wtf? This is the 4th different presentation of pricing I've seen since last night.Screenshot_20191101-114809.jpg

Abdulrahman

No, I got a different interface on my phone:

View attachment 23715

And I've got Chrome and Firefox open on my work PC at the same time showing two different monthly prices:

View attachment 23740

Maybe they're experimenting with different price points but it really puts me off!
WTF is this?!! This is stupid!
I suppose they are showing different prices depending on your location? Maybe you are using a VPN on of your browsers so that's why the price is different? This is just me trying to figure out the problem. Because I have a fixed price for me on all my devices.

Mornats

Yeah, bizarre isn't it? I'm at work with some pretty tight security (financial services dev) so all of our browsers are managed so I would expect them to use the same proxy server. No VPN as far as I'm aware (I'm plugged in at my desk). I wonder if some A/B testing software is having a bad day?

All that aside, I'm interested in the subscription now as I'd love to dip into the HZ and Deadmaus classes too. £39.99 is too much, £19.99 is better but I wonder what I'll get if I try Internet Explorer :D

MauroPantin

I am interested in this class, but:

1- I might wait for Black Friday to see if there is a better deal to get it. And

2- I'm a bit put off by the different pricings. Mine is showing $15/month billed annually ($180 a year), or the single class option, and nothing else. No option to pay for a single month. This is all a bit puzzling and in my opinion not transparent enough as a way to do business. Of course, they are free to A/B test all they want, but I think it reflects a bit negatively.

robgb

I was young once
Elfman does make a good point about the lack of warmth in samples, but my feeling is that there are ways you can make samples warmer—the way you play them, etc.—and that for low budget productions that require a big budget sound, samples are the way to go.

I mean, really, he dismissed a good chunk of television composers when he said sampled scores don't work.