What's new

Danny and the Wild Bunch - 8th International Film Music Competition 2019

PeterBaumann

Thought I'd share my entry to this year's Forum Filmmusik/Zurich International Film Music Competition, which is a re-score of Robert Rugan's brilliantly quirky animation, Danny and the Wild Bunch. I'll post a version with the notated score or a pdf when I get a moment.

It's a shame the competition decision-makers don't provide feedback (I know why!), so all comments welcome on here :) These contests are always good fun to do alongside day-to-day composition work, and this one was no different, although it did involve a lot more work than most due to the need to prepare parts and score for performance. Happy to answer any questions about the contest/my process too, should you have any.

Last edited:

ziggi

Big congrats Peter! I've seen already a few entries but this is my favorite. Really excellently done: spotting, tempi, moods, genera flow and balance between music and film. And sounds great too.
One thing i could say I miss is a brass swell to get to to the climax on 3:46-3:48.
How long did you work on it? Btw, do you know how to get the vid file without music to try it as well? I'd love to give it a try just for myself.
Keep going!
Z

OP
PeterBaumann

PeterBaumann

Big congrats Peter! I've seen already a few entries but this is my favorite. Really excellently done: spotting, tempi, moods, genera flow and balance between music and film. And sounds great too.
One thing i could say I miss is a brass swell to get to to the climax on 3:46-3:48.
How long did you work on it? Btw, do you know how to get the vid file without music to try it as well? I'd love to give it a try just for myself.
Keep going!
Z
Thanks for your feedback - this one took a bit longer than I'd normally spend on a contest, but most of that was because it required the PDF score too, fully marked up ready for a performance. Amazing how much time that kind of thing can take especially with some of the more dense writing in the second half. All good practice though! I think the 10-minute score I did for The Oceanmaker back in 2017 probably took less time overall just because it didn't have the PDF score element!

Regarding the original file, I've had a couple of people ask me about that. I've suggested they check online to see if it's still available on the forumfilmmusik site, and if not, perhaps worth contacting the organisers asking if you can have it as a trial run if you're planning on entering next year? Otherwise, you could always try to contact the filmmaker to see if he'd be ok to share it with you and others beyond the agreement he had with the contest?

Last edited:

ziggi

Thanks for your feedback - this one took a bit longer than I'd normally spend on a contest, but most of that was because it required the PDF score too, fully marked up ready for a performance. Amazing how much time that kind of thing can take especially with some of the more dense writing in the second half. All good practice though! I think the 10-minute score I did for The Oceanmaker back in 2017 probably took less time overall just because it didn't have the PDF score element!

Regarding the original file, I've had a couple of people ask me about that. I've suggested they check online to see if it's still available on the forumfilmmusik site, and if not, perhaps worth contacting the organisers asking if you can have it as a trial run if you're planning on entering next year? Otherwise, you could always try to contact the filmmaker to see if he'd be ok to share it with you and others beyond the agreement he had with the contest?

Thanks for replay, Peter. Of course, it takes way longer than 'just' compose. I was engraver for a publisher once (not to mention writing my own scores) so I feel it. Hopefully, you didn't have to make parts.
Unfortunately, the file is not online. I guess it might be rather impossible to get the file for personal use. Anyways, thanks a lot and good luck.

OP
PeterBaumann

PeterBaumann

Thanks for replay, Peter. Of course, it takes way longer than 'just' compose. I was engraver for a publisher once (not to mention writing my own scores) so I feel it. Hopefully, you didn't have to make parts.
Unfortunately, the file is not online. I guess it might be rather impossible to get the file for personal use. Anyways, thanks a lot and good luck.
Yep - contest required score plus parts ready for performance, so that was even more work! Definitely need some time set aside to do this contest! Will post the score in a bit :)

Top Bottom