1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cymbal Roll/Swell Placement Tricks?

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by jmauz, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:20 AM.

1. jmauz

jmauz Member

Hey everyone. A thorn that's been in my side for a long long time is getting cymbal rolls and FX swells to line up properly so that they crescendo at the correct moment. Of course it's easy to do visually with audio files but with MIDI I spend a lot of time nudging notes to achieve this. Does anyone have any tricks or clever techniques to help get this done efficiently??

Thanks very much!

2. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    there is no trick I know of that actually works to line up the timing -- trial and error as far as I know.

Also, use these sparingly; they were massively overused in games and movies for so long that I avoid them like the plague now.

3. ckiraly

ckiraly Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Record the audio from your MIDI track(s), then place the audio exactly where you need. The MIDI doesn't have to be perfectly aligned, just close enough to get what you're looking for.

Fab likes this.
  4. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    It's mostly the same. Either you need:

<<<<<<!!!!!

or
    <<<<<<>>>>>>

or just
    !!!!!

or sometimes
    /\/\/\/\/\/\

Needs some time to adjust but you can save the midi region/part/clip muted in the template. Once done it's just a copy/paste job.

gsilbers and desert like this.
  5. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Personally, I just render these kind of things to audio and move them visually using the transient. I keep the midi in a hidden disabled folder so I can always go back to it but rendering to audio is the fastest way for me.

6. Jeast

Jeast Senior Member

Apr 23, 2015
  7. babylonwaves

babylonwaves Senior Member

May 9, 2015
  8. Kubler

Kubler Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    France
    I agree with @jononotbono

I have a folder full of rendered orchestral effects such as cymbals, so that I just have to pick one and put it in my tracklist.

Berlin Percussion by Orchestral Tools also has suspended cymbal patches with modwheel-controlled swell. I use them when I need specific or complex modulations in said swell.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 7:13 AM
  9. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Yeah well don't get me wrong. I don't really render them and store them in a folder for a rainy day etc. I will play them with the VI and Midi/Instrument track but render them to audio asap. Sometimes different Mic Positions need to be used etc and then all of a sudden using pre rendered stuff doesn't quite work with the new track. On another note, I do have lots of swear words pre recorded and reversed that I surreptitiously slip into my music any chance I get.

mc_deli and Kubler like this.
  10. Kubler

Kubler Active Member

Jan 6, 2016
    France
    @jononotbono Yeah no mistake, I was just telling my own method. I agree on the fact that an already bounced sample is easier to use, no matter where it comes from ^^

I laughed way too hard x')

jononotbono likes this.
  11. JJP

JJP I put dots and lines on paper.

Apr 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I find it can help to play these parts in real time. Once you hear the sample, you can usually get it in one of quick practice take and then a final if you have a good sense of time. I often do nudge it a little, but that's minor and then I move on.

12. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Oh definitely. Try and play everything in. Well, I do. I'm a musician and like to play. However, latency and lining up transients to avoid a muddy mix means meddling and rendering to audio (for me anyway).

13. OP
    OP
    jmauz

jmauz Member

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm off to record some swear words....lol. ;)

jononotbono and Kubler like this.
  14. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

in logic there is bounce in place (prolly same in all daws) but in one keycommand i can render and see the waveform and move it to the right place. auditioning them in kontakt is what takes the longest to do!
    if you have the ability to see a bunch of of swells waveforms and auditiion them quickly on the right place and drag and drop into your daw, then for me thats the quickest, which i can do in logic but since most risers and swells are inside kontakt... well. its pita. i dont use also the timed swells. i havent find them as useful as i would think they should be... if that makes sense. seems i still have to fiddle with them.