Custom fonts in Kontakt 6 ?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by geronimo, Oct 7, 2018.

1. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    :laugh: Ah, come on, it's the first time i'm looking at this thing...

I was hoping the horizontal spacing could remain constant - size of the character plus 1 pixel would make it easier to create a template for generating the font...

I'll do some tests when i get the update.

Thanks, man.

Best regards,
    Paulo

2. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    ..still no kerning tho..

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    That's not really a problem. A well done picture font doesn't need any kerning adjustments.

4. OP
    OP
    geronimo

geronimo Senior Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Well, I did well to open this topic ! :P

5. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    But proper kerning is not as straight forward as just choosing a spacing value...

That's what graphic designers do. Proper kerning requires time and patience.
    Depending on the font and size there are always small adjustments to be made...
    It's probably my least favorite aspect of logo design (some people love this).

But it will depend on how much spacing between each character Kontakt allows.

Yup. :)

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Any number. It's aaaaaaall about the red dots, man. :)

P.N. likes this.
  7. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Ah, so when you were saying before "1 or 2" pixels of spacing, you were refering to potencial kerning adjustments, not Kontakt limitations.
    Alright, i think i finally got this. :)

Paulo

8. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    you are like joking yes?
    I spent years as a font designer - "no need for kerning in a well designed font?" - I SOOOOOO wish that was true.

onebitboy likes this.
  9. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    OK so I DONT understand this then... but first lets get a definition out of the way:

Kerning - the space between a pair of letters when run together so the space between AV is different to that between EV, font design requires careful consideration and specification of kerning values for "kerning pairs"

given the above how does this "red dot" solution fix this ?

10. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    I'm not joking (at least not consciously/deliberately :)). Obviously with picture fonts you can't really have kerning adjustments with different letter pairs. This is not vector fonts so kerning cannot apply, simple as that.

Basically what we got here is just stuff that Kontakt uses internally to show text exposed to KSP. That's all. Don't expect TTF/OTF support to ever happen, it probably won't (due to previously mentioned licensing/distribution can of worms).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  11. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Sorry. I got messed up by the previous posts about kerning.

What i really meant to say after was:
    "So when you were saying before "1 or 2" pixels of spacing, you were refering to potencial image adjustments, not Kontakt limitations/requirements."

The spacing and dots won't allow kerning can but give you some headroom so that you can try and make the general appearance of the font more balanced.

The best course of action is choosing a "good" font first.

12. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    yeah so - its better than it was but its still not HISE on the fonts front.

13. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Hey if ya need HISE features then use HISE, I suppose. :) JUCE is making a ton of things easier there.

How's font licensing/distribution handled there?

14. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    This turned into a Kontakt vs HISE thread? Where's David? :)

15. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    David will be here momentarily....oh hang on he's over answering q's on the HISE forum... :)

Font licensing: Here's an interesting thing....one of the few copyright IP rulings ever made in a US court said --- you cant copyright a typeface. Yeah really... as a font designer(previous life) this was a PITA. Of course there's the moral issue - but licensing I think in HISE is "left up to the persons(developer) embedding the font" but given the amazing explosion in free fonts I think the licensing issue is probably a bit of a diversion...

16. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    That's just US court, but it'd need to be accepted precedent anywhere else in the world too before you could freely distribute the font I suppose? (I am no lawyer, I'll admit, just going by logic here.)

I guess with HISE it's a bit different situation since it's open source, but since NI is closed source, you can't easily shift the "blame" to the 3rd party developer, if there's a legal issue with fonts, they'd come after NI. And they probably want none of that - which is understandable.

17. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    There's also the difference between copyrighting a typeface or a font file.
    That's the reason we have different companies selling different fonts from the same typeface.

18. Mike Greene

Mike Greene Administrator

Wow! That sounds like a bad ruling to me. I could understand certain typefaces being considered so generic that copyright wouldn't apply, but there are a lot of very creative typefaces out there that IMO deserve copyright protection. I happily paid the license for my Realitone logo, for instance.

19. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    so if you use one of these fonts in your product, which of the vendors should be talking to you? See the problem?

20. P.N.

P.N. Senior Member

Aug 14, 2015
    It's not a problem for me - i'll be using Kontakt... (just kidding). :laugh:

Above you seemed to be talking from a designer's perspective.
    In that case, since you can't copyright the typeface in the US, you, as the designer, should also take the role of distributor of the font.
    You may also copyright the name. You're protected in that regard, at least.
    Sure, the US Court has somehow underappreciated the artist's role in creating the design, but he still has options to be compensated for his work, even if it's selling font licenses for it.

As a software designer that wishes to embed a font in your product, you only need to buy a specific license.
    If i decide to use a font in a logo, in a vector or raster format (no embedding), i may require a different license.
    Sometimes, the licenses overlap different scenarious.
    That's all up to the vendor, but if you have your licenses in order, you should be fine.

Did you personally experience an issue with this?