What's new

Cubase (WIN) - end task/process vs normal close

shomynik

Does anybody knows a real difference between closing an app such as Cubase normally VS ending it in the task manager? Is there any downside if one just always closes it via "end task" (win 10 , aka "end process" in win 7)?

Looking at the task manager, I noticed that when I close Cubase, it unloads RAM in it's pace - which is quite slow, and only then closes. But, if I just end Cubase process/task right there in the task manager, Cubase closes and RAM unloads everything instantly.

I use VEP with slaves, but as it's faster I load Kontakt directly in the Cubase as well for things I don't have in my template. So, often I end up using a lot of RAM with those.

Since Cubase always either takes ages when closing a project, or completely shits the bed and gets entirely stuck in the process, I've made it a habit to always close it via the task manager. Been doing it for at least 2 years and never noticed any issues. The only thing I noticed is that if you kill the Cubase process and immediately start up Cubase again (for example when switching projects) I get some error message in regards to the eLicencer. If you wait like 5 seconds before re-starting this doesn't happen though.

Since Cubase always either takes ages when closing a project, or completely shits the bed and gets entirely stuck in the process, I've made it a habit to always close it via the task manager. Been doing it for at least 2 years and never noticed any issues. The only thing I noticed is that if you kill the Cubase process and immediately start up Cubase again (for example when switching projects) I get some error message in regards to the eLicencer. If you wait like 5 seconds before re-starting this doesn't happen though.

Yeah, I'm having the same thing with eLicenser, and just a few sec settles it. Ok, thanks for the reply. I just really wonder what's the point of that slow closing and slow RAM unload when obviously RAM is capable to be wiped instantly...or is it?

The only othertime I can think it's not a good idea, is if you make any changes in the mediabay (renaming presets, or changing values). When you close the project the useuall way, it unloads everything then updates the mediabay. Useually get a process bar pop up for this. So if you forget to rescan disks (from within the mediabay) and use the End Process approach, it'll probaby forget all the changes you've made. Don't hold me too it, just something noticed when I was updateing loads of presets in the mediabay.

I think many of us do it that way :P. Especially on big projects. The project won't appear in the recent project list, but otherwise it should be fine.

- Piotr

The main drawback I've found is you loose any changes you've made to preferences, window layouts, track settings, keyboard shortcuts, VST connections, etc or basically any modification to the program itself which can be annoying. When I need to force quit and I need to save a modification, I generally open the program, make a change in an empty project, allow it to shut down normally, and then go back to my normal routine of killing it when quitting.

Ah, well if that's the case, then from now on - NO MERCY! :sneaky: :whistling:

Same here. The only downside is that new projects do not appear in the recent project list.

I literally never opened a project that way, but I presumed that's the case as it actually losses any program changes that one might made.

The only othertime I can think it's not a good idea, is if you make any changes in the mediabay (renaming presets, or changing values). When you close the project the useuall way, it unloads everything then updates the mediabay. Useually get a process bar pop up for this. So if you forget to rescan disks (from within the mediabay) and use the End Process approach, it'll probaby forget all the changes you've made. Don't hold me too it, just something noticed when I was updateing loads of presets in the mediabay.

Good to know, but I never use mediabay except for track presets. And I avoid even that as I find mediabay frustrating, it keeps scanning and I wait for it a few sec every time I open it. I hate opening it!

I think many of us do it that way :P. Especially on big projects. The project won't appear in the recent project list, but otherwise it should be fine.

- Piotr

No mercy I'm telling you! :grin:

The main drawback I've found is you loose any changes you've made to preferences, window layouts, track settings, keyboard shortcuts, VST connections, etc or basically any modification to the program itself which can be annoying. When I need to force quit and I need to save a modification, I generally open the program, make a change in an empty project, allow it to shut down normally, and then go back to my normal routine of killing it when quitting.

Yeah exactly, I do the same. I don't change program settings often anyway.

Great! Thanks guys! :2thumbs:

Milos

Top Bottom