What's new

Cubase vs. Studio One for click in MIDI writing?

Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before. I basically do all my composing by clicking in MIDI notes. I've been using Reaper for now and while It works and is incredibly customizable, sometimes I just can't get past how ugly it is, and when you factor in themes and extensions it becomes an incoherent mishmash of different UIs that's more distracting than anything for my taste.

I've pretty much narrowed down my search to Studio One and Cubase. My main goal is to use it for video game soundtracks. Not necessarily always orchestral but pretty much doing everything with MIDI. I plan to try out both myself but I figured some opinions from people who might have used both would also help guide me a bit. Some opinions I'm looking for are how you feel they both manage articulations, general ease of use when editing MIDI and automations with mouse, mixer routing (Reaper was incredible for this), and any other thoughts you guys may have comparing the two. Thanks!

Both work very similarly in terms of clicking in notes. Cubase is more mature in general - S1 is catching up but still has some catching up to do. They also both have demos so you can try them out yourself.

I use both, SO1 is the most promising DAW in my opinion but it is not quite there yet. Now, if you don't need staff like 5.1 or crazy system configs I can almost say that SO could be the best option. Despite so, I have to be honest, I am still in cubase 98% of the time =)

I am also a clicker. I've used Cubase and S1. Since S1 came out with their sound variations I'm not using Cubase any longer. S1 handles automation better IMO. Both have free trials. Try them out and then decide.

I find myself clicking in midi more and more since my piano playing sucks. I found Studio one pretty good. As Babe above me shared, the sound variations are really helpful.

Some quirks to get over is that they have a system where the top half of track data or automation lane means one thing and bottom half is another. When it come to editing I find myself accidentally mucking things up (since I am trying to draw in the curves with the mouse). I am finding turning that off can be helpful.

I dont know what perks Cubase offers over Studio One when it comes to midi editing. People keep claiming its behind but I seem to be able to click or play them in no problem and edit the curves no problem. You can even lock the key signature so you are not able to click the wrong note in.

I find myself clicking in midi more and more since my piano playing sucks. I found Studio one pretty good. As Babe above me shared, the sound variations are really helpful.

Some quirks to get over is that they have a system where the top half of track data or automation lane means one thing and bottom half is another. When it come to editing I find myself accidentally mucking things up (since I am trying to draw in the curves with the mouse). I am finding turning that off can be helpful.

I dont know what perks Cubase offers over Studio One when it comes to midi editing. People keep claiming its behind but I seem to be able to click or play them in no problem and edit the curves no problem. You can even lock the key signature so you are not able to click the wrong note in.
it is mainly expression maps to me... Now it is a common feature to use but it is not used by everyone so, if you are still dealing with keyswitches and you are ok with it maybe the upgrade on SO5 with the keyswitch subtrack (if we wanna call it this way) may be fair enough.. I personally use way too many libraries to deal with different keyswitches and staff so it is a really important thing to have!!

But I really care about saying something, as for pc and macs these software are tools, it doesn't matter what you pick up they all do an incredible job and nobody will be able to say what you used to produce something (I'll get a some hater saying the daws sound different this but I don't care, cause I believe that even if they do 60% of people here are using cheap interfaces converts etc that makes way more difference than a DAW) but they will be able to figure out if you are good at what you do or not... so Pick up what makes sense for you, your budget, the features you love and that is gonna work out fine =)

Top Bottom