Cubase & VE Pro Template: Freeze and Unload?

Discussion in 'Workflow Tips & DIYs' started by Dominik Raab, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Dominik Raab

Dominik Raab Active Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I've googled this and searched the forum, but I didn't come up with anything pertaining to my situation. If I messed up and this is a frequent question - I'm genuinely sorry.

I recall some people saying they freeze tracks in Cubase (with a VE Pro template) for faster loading, but I can't really reproduce this. My goal is to have essential instruments loaded and active, with non-essential instances turned off (no RAM usage) until I turn them on. The tracks are there and routed, the VE Pro instance exists, but the samples aren't loaded.

The problem I'm running into is two-fold. I'm doing at least two things wrong here.

1) I can't freeze tracks that don't have data on them, apparently. Clicking the button in Cubase (in the VST rack bar, where the VE instances are loaded) does nothing, because there's nothing to bounce. Is this how it's supposed to be? Can't I freeze 'empty' tracks?

2) Freezing in Cubase unloads the VE Pro plug-in inside Cubase, but does nothing on the VE Pro server.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible, or did I get that wrong? I could swear I saw posts on this forum claiming they're freezing VE Pro tracks, but I could be mistaken.

2. oivind_rosvold

oivind_rosvold Active Member

Nov 14, 2014
    If you are running your instruments in VEpro and for the most part have only midi tracks in Cubase, disabling them in Cubase wont do much.

But you can both purge all samples (if using Kontakt) and/or disable any plug-in you use in VEpro to save RAM and loading time. Just right-click on the instrument/plug-in instance in VEpro and click disable, it will unload it, while keeping all the information for when you enable it again.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes, I think what you want to do isn't quite what you've been looking at. You need to have disabled tracks, but in VE Pro not in Cubase - freezing in Cubase will achieve nothing. Then you need a method in Cubase of remote controlling the enabling / disabling process. Doing this means projects open and close super-quickly, consume very few resources and you can have a huge template ready to go, requiring only very short load times when you activate the instruments you actually want to use.

I wrote a bit more about this on p8 here - https://vi-control.net/community/threads/i-dont-care-for-orchestral-templates-your-view.72009/page-8 . I really must do a walkthrough video soon as its ruddy brilliant.

As for freezing tracks, I'm currently doing this for multi-out rack instruments entirely within Cubase. I have a dummy note on bar 3 that enables the process, because you're right you cannot freeze an empty track. Its not a very elegant solution, but until Steinberg fix multi-out Track instruments it's the best way of saving resources for now.

fidelitas88 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Dominik Raab

Apr 29, 2011
    Thank you both!

Guy, your explanations here and in that other thread both intrigue me. I'll have a detailed look on those. Thanks a lot!

5. marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
  6. Guy Rowland

Dec 13, 2012
    Ach, sorry I'm duplicate posting in two threads, but this exact issue came up in both.

I've put up a 3-part video on the Cubase / Disabled VE Pro thing. Part one is just a 5 minute intro to what it does, part two how its put together and part three why its worth the bother rather than other methods. Just linking part 1 here, the other parts are linked in the info.

7. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    If I run a huge template in VEPro and use disabled tracks in there, are the save times faster versus disabled tracks in Cubase?

8. marcodistefano

marcodistefano Composer

Nov 30, 2017
    Like mentioned in the initial thread the two things are not comparable, you cannot do with cubase what can be done with vienna

2) Freezing in Cubase unloads the VE Pro plug-in inside Cubase, but does nothing on the VE Pro server.

but surely disabling in VEPRO will require more time since the instance of Kontakt needs to be reloaded in memory

MrLinssi likes this.
  9. mark.warman

mark.warman Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Huge thanks for taking the time to make these videos, Guy. As ever, they are both entertaining and informative!

10. lucor

lucor Senior Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, by a long mile. With VEPro decoupled, save times in Cubase are basically instant (and project files are only a few mb in size).

devonmyles and MrLinssi like this.
  11. Guy Rowland

Dec 13, 2012
    What lucor said. It's one of the big advantages of the method, saves are almost instantaneous. Also nice that you can just keep the template loaded all day working on different stuff, and you never need to worry about saving multiple versions of it. It's very nearly as good as running a fully loaded template but with none of the overheads.

12. OP
    OP
    Dominik Raab

Apr 29, 2011
    Thank you all for your input, once again!

Progress report: I've started setting up a completely new template with VE Pro automations, disabling instances with a CC message. It's coming along nicely, but I don't have as much time for finishing it as I'd like to have. Soon, though.

13. Mishabou

Mishabou Active Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Instead of inserting Transformers on each midi track in CB to enable/disable VEP's instruments. You can simply create two buttons in Metagrid, or any app, that will send midi cc. Save you loads of time!

14. Guy Rowland

Dec 13, 2012
    There's a million ways to do it. I wanted to use physical buttons that are always in front of me, no need for any other paraphernalia that I wouldn't otherwise use. As I said in Part 2, I could have set these up as simple midi CCs rather that notes, but I'm a dummy there as I didn't realise that til I was half way through. That said, I kinda like having a note on bar 3 to enable / disable when re-loading a project, rather than a CC - you always know where you are with a note on the key editor...