What's new

Cubase Track Archive

dpasdernick

Guys and Gals,

1) I'm using Cubase Pro v10.

2) I have a song that has a midi track (not an instrument track) with EZ Drummer on it.

3) EZ Drummer has multiple outputs activated and I have separate tracks for the kick, snate, etc and these tracks have insert effects, EQ, etc.

4) I want to use Track Archive to bundle up this VST plus the routing insert FX, etc and then import into a new song so that I don't have to mess around setting this all up again.

5) When I use Track archive, close down my 1st song and load up my second song I then try and import the track into my new song.

6) The track comes in with the midi data (which I don't really need) but the EZ Drummer VST does not load and none of the extra outputs come in as well n o r the insert effects.

7) Does track archive only work with Instrument tracks because apparently instrument tracks can't have multiple outputs.

8) Is there a better way in Cubase to import VST tracks from older projects so that I can create a library of cool drum kits with effects, for instance, and then import them into different songs?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help!

All the very best,

Darren

You are with C10.0? Instrument tracks can have multiple outputs. Track archives should work with Instrument Tracks including the VST. I do this all the time with Toontracks many EZX packages.

Best to read up on Track Instruments because this changed a few versions back. Really there are few differences between Track Instruments and Rack instruments however exporting Rack Instruments is not possible.

If you insist on Instrument Rack, you can take advantage of the Cubase feature "save selected/load selected" found when focusing Rack instrument track...in EZ usually 16 tracks? Focus all of them, then upper right corner of the mix console find the arrow, select Save Selected.

When you want to open this, load Toontrack, open the 16 tracks, focus them. then do a "load selected"

This is more involved than using Instrument Tracks. With Instrument tracks, you should be able to simply export and import, and everything stay in tact.

Ive never found one.

I put the DSP on busses the outs are assigned to....which are required to record (real time) audio of the multiple outputs anyway. I bring this up because what doesnt get “recalled” is the instrument’s multiouts. So, i can pull in the needed busses with processing perfectly....the instrument preset I save does the internal routing to external outs—so, I just enable them all and in mixer view quickly assign the instrument outputs to the busses.

So, output to busses to track inputs....i left that off—the track archive also recalls the audio tracks that come up pre outed from the busses.

I was blown away that I couldnt save anyhing like this in logicPro....becuase they have these built in instrument “presets” that set up their own bus/auxes with various send levels....but, it behaves the same way when you recall a multiple output instrument.

I would love to hear if theres something different. I maintain that DrumVIs require DAW processing for best sound. I

Nothing....anyone? I'm really surprised between the two "leading" and most mature VI/MIDI apps there seems to be no way to store a multi output instrument with DSP on the outputs. It seems like they store 900 "classes" of presets that I wonder "why would i EVER need that?" And the ONE thing that takes more than a couple clicks to configure and the only real solution is to use a project template with it already set up to START a project.

I feel like we might start a thread (or retitle this one?) about "Storing multi output VIs with DSP on the channels in your DAW". I'm curious-I saw someone posting about how Sonar did this "right"--with all related aux and busses created and routed....and honestly I thought "sonar....did something RIGHT?" But, I mean Reaper can record the live audio output of a VI without further routing--so every app has something it does uniquely well.

I feel like I have an older Studio One on my laptop...I'm tempted to go digging in that....this is why when I ask people, they tell me they "mix" their drums inside the VI mixer. I promise you it doesn't sound as good. At least not with the DAW running in HD. A simple analog channel model on something will blur that hard 22khz sample filter by extending distortion above it and sound more natural. How can we have gotten this far with all these media bays and drag and drop sound "presets"....and not done this one thing that I've done with every drum VI for 20 years? technically--I did a variation with drum modules and such for the ten previous--snare out one channel to the mixer....cymbals in stereo to another two....etc....

Why is this so different than saving a template? Do your setup, save as template, job done.

If it’s a matter of wanting to use the same setup in various templates, maybe VEP?

Saved as a template means you cant recall it into a project. Ever. You can only make a new project with this VI setting and its processing.

You could probabaly use VEP to just recall drum set ups....but that seems like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, you know? The point of “instrument channel presets” in both Cubase and Logic is to recall the VI settings along with all the DAW channel settings as one entity. Works great for stereo...not at all for multichannel-which if you save that, it recalls AS stereo.

Top Bottom