Cubase + Spitfire Chamber Strings - playing divisi?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by stigc56, Jun 13, 2018.

1. stigc56

stigc56 Senior Member

May 14, 2009
    Hi
    I have a strange situation: In an arrangement I have a divisi passage in the 1st violins. So in VEPro6 I have created a set-up to care for this: I have Spitfire Chamber Strings 1st violins on BOTH channel 1 and 2. I have all the other strings set-up in a similar way.
    I was under the impression that the 2 1st violin groups could "perform" independently, but now it seems that when the second group 1st violins "enters" in a legato passage they are "stealing" from the first group. Is this the way it works?

2. dtcomposer

dtcomposer Senior Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Saint James, NY
    I'm assuming that with your setup they would both be using the same sample set even if you have multiple instances of the instrument loaded in kontakt. If you have the extended mic set you could use a similar mic/mix for those and maybe create a divisi in the first violins that way in a new instrument.

So for example:
    Your V1-a is the Main mic (or whatever combo of mics you would use there) and uses midi channel 1
    Your V1-b could be another kontakt instrument with the Outrigger or one of the Alt mic combos set to midi channel 2. I don't have these mics for SCS, but I don't see why that wouldn't work with some tweaking.

Of course if you only have the standard 3 mics you can't really do this.

3. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I was under the impression that loading a 2nd identical instance gave two independent instruments while still only using 1 x ram?

samphony likes this.